• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

I think the current plan is to only have L3 and L4 for the MIS, RHW-4 and RHW-6S on the RealHighway side . . . and maybe slightly expand the existing L4 ("High Elevated") El-Rail/Monorail stuff.  Everything else will be kept to just L1 and L2.

-Alex

mike3775

Quote from: sepen77 on January 27, 2012, 02:12:06 PM
Bravo &apls
Great job. When these come out, I'll sure be using them alot more than the L2 15m ones. They're too tall and don't always look good. Can't wait for L3 and L4 although I would wonder why anyone would need 30m tall roads...

Because in some cities, they have bridges over bridges where multiple highways intersect each other

Paul 999

And making off 3- and 4 level stack junctions ;) That will be so cool  :thumbsup:

Shadow Assassin

There won't be 22.5m and 30m roads.

However, there will be RHW equivalents, so it should still be quite adequate for our interchange needs.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Will12

Nice job SA! Now even avenue stacks will be easy!

Shadow Assassin

Diagonal avenue on-slope is done.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

noahclem

Awesome work  &apls &apls  That'll be very useful!

RickD

Great job. This is one of my most anticipated puzzle pieces.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

JoeST

I suspect I know the answer to this, but you know you can draw road over existing rail/street/oneway(?)/etc, is there any way of modifying what this does? and is there any way of adding a `draw x over y` functionality? Or is all that stuff locked in the EXE?

If that stuff is mod-able, how likely is it that you could add a drag-able el-rail/glr on/in road?
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Tarkus

Quote from: JoeST on February 02, 2012, 10:46:15 AM
I suspect I know the answer to this, but you know you can draw road over existing rail/street/oneway(?)/etc, is there any way of modifying what this does? and is there any way of adding a `draw x over y` functionality? Or is all that stuff locked in the EXE?

If that stuff is mod-able, how likely is it that you could add a drag-able el-rail/glr on/in road?

Technically, you can define a setup like that in RUL1, which defines intersections between two different base networks.  However, specifying dual-network orthogonal setups like that has generally proven fruitless in all the experiments that we've done with it.  daeley did manage a setup to sort of drag them, but it involved the same AutoPlace technique that caused the infamous Maxis Car Ferry CTD (and could cause issues with stations instantly CTDing in the same way), and it's also unable to distinguish between Tram-in-Road, Tram-on-Road and El-Rail-over-Road, as it's effectively placing puzzle pieces by dragging, and isn't overrideable as such, making its utility somewhat limited (particularly with intersections involving any sort of "crosslink".

There are other possibilities, all of which have drawbacks:

• RUL1 trickery involving an "all-way stub" (the little piece you get when you simply plop one tile of a network and don't connect it to anything).  This, however, would end up flattening any land the dual network is placed on.  Intersections can also become a bit problematic.
  • Creating a single-network starter piece that has both transit types pathed on it.  This has theoretically worked with bridges, as demonstrated by xannepan's Tram-in-Road bridges, and the technique also has precedent with the Rail-based DDRHW-4.  It's still a bit of an unknown, however, especially on the Tram-in-Avenue side.  (The T-RAM design specifications forbid splitting Tram-in-Avenue setups in half, due to the liability of people trying to use them as fake Tram-in-OWR pieces.)  As it would likely have to be El-Rail based due to the way the game handles the path files (this is how xannepan's bridges were set up), this could cause some complications as well, particularly with any sort of T-intersection.
  • A WAVERide setup using a RUL1 false intersection, though this wouldn't actually be draggable and likely wouldn't offer much of an advantage over the current puzzle piece setup.

In short, it's not particularly likely at this juncture.

-Alex

JoeST

Aye I thought as much, just wanted clarification. Thanks :D

Joe

auandi@gmail.com

I'm so excited to hear about adding more levels to RHW, it should make intersections so much easier. Keep up the great work.

I don't know if this was mentioned before but I was just wondering if there were any plans to make it possible for double-decked highways to have exits and entrances all on one side (like for example the Alaskan Way Viaduct) rather than the traditional always enter/exit from the right side of travel. I'm sure there's going to be all kinds of changes but I really like the idea of  double-decked highways going through downtown cores to minimize disturbance but I am finding them a bit annoying to work with (I also can't find a way to let GLR travel under them without it converting to a subway temporarily). Maybe these can by thing you incorporate into your reboot of sorts for the RHW mod?

Keep up the good work!

Tarkus

Quote from: auandi@gmail.com on February 08, 2012, 08:09:10 PM
I don't know if this was mentioned before but I was just wondering if there were any plans to make it possible for double-decked highways to have exits and entrances all on one side (like for example the Alaskan Way Viaduct) rather than the traditional always enter/exit from the right side of travel.

You're in luck.  Left exits (right exits for the LHD users among us) are indeed planned for the DDRHW system.

Quote from: auandi@gmail.com on February 08, 2012, 08:09:10 PM
I'm sure there's going to be all kinds of changes but I really like the idea of  double-decked highways going through downtown cores to minimize disturbance but I am finding them a bit annoying to work with (I also can't find a way to let GLR travel under them without it converting to a subway temporarily). Maybe these can by thing you incorporate into your reboot of sorts for the RHW mod?

Are you talking about a situation like this?

You need to be using Draggable GLR and not the GLR Puzzle Pieces.  The GLR Puzzle Pieces are essentially a "deprecated" feature since Draggable GLR was introduced in June 2007, and as such, will generally not be gaining any new functionality.

-Alex

TEG24601

I for one am hoping for some more Monorail/HSR capabilities in the Monolithic NAM, like High Monorail over RHW and some way for the monorail to interact with the DDRHW, as I love using

Kitsune

the high monorail / el rail should be able over to go over ddrhw as both are 30m vs 22.5m for ddrhw...
~ NAM Team Member

Tarkus

Quote from: Kitsune on February 09, 2012, 05:41:17 PM
the high monorail / el rail should be able over to go over ddrhw as both are 30m vs 22.5m for ddrhw...

Technically, the High Monorail/El-Rail are at 30.5m. 

The main reason we haven't really done much with the High Monorail/El-Rail systems is that they we haven't really decided the future of that functionality, whether to keep making puzzle pieces or bite the bullet and go draggable.  There's some potential issues with draggability that would need to be sorted due to how those base networks work.

The DDRHW does, if I'm not mistaken, support GHSR underneath it, however.

-Alex

auandi@gmail.com

Are you talking about a situation like this?

You need to be using Draggable GLR and not the GLR Puzzle Pieces.  The GLR Puzzle Pieces are essentially a "deprecated" feature since Draggable GLR was introduced in June 2007, and as such, will generally not be gaining any new functionality.

-Alex
[/quote]

I didn't (though it is good to know about Draggable GLR) I actually mis-typed and meant to say Tram-in-Avenue and Tram-in-road. Unless I'm missing something that isn't draggable is it? It's about all I use so I just think of it as glr in my mixed up mind.

metarvo

I'm liking the improved stability that I see in the latest development pic.  I have to wonder about that L2-RHW x Monorail at-grade crossing, though.  $%Grinno$%
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Tarkus

Quote from: auandi@gmail.com on February 09, 2012, 09:29:13 PM
I didn't (though it is good to know about Draggable GLR) I actually mis-typed and meant to say Tram-in-Avenue and Tram-in-road. Unless I'm missing something that isn't draggable is it? It's about all I use so I just think of it as glr in my mixed up mind.

You're correct that neither Tram-in-Avenue or Tram-in-Road are draggable (and due to the logistics of implementation, most likely won't be), and that neither currently has any RHW crosslinks.  That is planned to be corrected with the next release, however.

Quote from: metarvo on February 10, 2012, 05:25:53 AM
I'm liking the improved stability that I see in the latest development pic.  I have to wonder about that L2-RHW x Monorail at-grade crossing, though.  $%Grinno$%

Actually that pic is pretty old . . . June 2, 2011, a little over 3 months before RHW 5.0 was released. ;)  The L2 RHW x Monorail crossing, if you look closely, is basically kind of a dead-end, with the RHW interrupting the Monorail line.  The reason that crossing has to exist is because it's a crossing involving a base network, and it eases the job of allowing GHSR-under-L2 RHW.  The same thing exists with Elevated Light Rail, too, to allow GLR under L2 RHW.

-Alex

JoeST

In a little spree I'm having on the wiki lately, I added an article which might be useful to some people: The NAM glossary.

It basically lists all the acronyms, initialisms and abbreviations that the NAM use.