• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuewr665

I knew it! Those look pretty awesome.

gn_leugim

memo

I am currently working on correcting the road-onslope-puzzle-pieces' colour bug that would occur in one of their rotations. This was a problem with every onslope puzzle piece, until smoncrie came up with a way to fix it. The uncorrected version of the highway onslope piece can still be seen at the first page of this thread. I simply adopted smoncrie's method, and thanks to BarbyW's/gascooker's colour calibrating tutorial, I was able to create this:

The left piece has been placed prior to the fix.

art128

It's still not the exact same white, but still fantastic!   &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

noahclem

Awesome work memo  &apls

And great work to you and Ganaram on the new FA stuff  &apls &apls &apls  Really great to have and I meant to say something before.

memo

You are right. Unfortunately, it is not possible to get the exact white. This is because, as you can see, the onslope puzzle piece is considerably darkened in the game. To circumvent this, the puzzle piece's texture must be brightened a lot. However, those parts of the texture which had already been white before, cannot be brightened, but are darkened in the game.

This is the actual texture I used:

As opposed to the usual one:

Wthrwyz

Even though it can't be made perfect, this makes the darkening effect much less noticeable. In fact, I don't think most people would see it unless they knew what to look for or were comparing the textures side-by-side. Great job!
Wthrwyz: It's "weather wise." You see, it has to fit on a license plate...
Oh, just call me Nathan.

z

Quote from: Wthrwyz on September 22, 2012, 08:39:21 PM
Even though it can't be made perfect, this makes the darkening effect much less noticeable. In fact, I don't think most people would see it unless they knew what to look for or were comparing the textures side-by-side.

Some of us can't see it even when we look for it. $%Grinno$% ::) :thumbsup:

mike3775

Quote from: z on September 22, 2012, 10:09:12 PM
Quote from: Wthrwyz on September 22, 2012, 08:39:21 PM
Even though it can't be made perfect, this makes the darkening effect much less noticeable. In fact, I don't think most people would see it unless they knew what to look for or were comparing the textures side-by-side.

Some of us can't see it even when we look for it. $%Grinno$% ::) :thumbsup:

Exactly.  I honestly would never have noticed it if it had not been pointed out 

Wiimeiser

What surprises me is the lack of alternate texture packs. Just the Euro textures? I understand they're one of the hardest things to make (Esp. MHW) But you'd think more people would be trying to make them. We need more fantasy texture packs. How about pink asphalt, purple concrete, blue inner(yellow in US) lines, green outer/middle(white in US) lines and gold sidewalks?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

MandelSoft

Well, the thing is that it's not so hard to make, but there are just so many textures involved. We are speaking about thousands of individual textures. It's a daunting task to tackle them all (and I have my experience: I've done it myself too with Eurofying the textures). You really need to invest the time and effort in these packs...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

gn_leugim

very good job, very hard to tell apart :)

memo

The avenue and one-way road onslope pieces are done now, too.

ivo_su

Well, that's more than good memo, you really did a chudestna work and I admire this, but I mourn the old models of EAVE-4, maybe I'm conservative and difficult getting used to the new, but I do not like no barrier between the boards.

vortext

That's really nice memo! Just last week I noticed the same effect for the onlope el-rail and heavy rail pieces and figured it must be the shadows or something. Good to know that isn't the case and a solution is being worked on!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Haljackey

Ah very nice!

Anyway the issue with the straight on-slope pieces can be resolved? (Can't drag from the first tile, but you can on the on-slope T-intersection if you drag and remove the stubs from said intersection.)

Tarkus

Quote from: ivo_su on September 23, 2012, 01:18:35 PM
but I mourn the old models of EAVE-4, maybe I'm conservative and difficult getting used to the new, but I do not like no barrier between the boards.

If you're wanting a barrier, Maarten's NAM Euro Cosmetic and Retexture Mod includes the proper textures for that.  The old models pre-NAM 30 weren't even really designed for Avenues--they were basically two ERoad models glued together with a different Road texture.

Quote from: Haljackey on September 23, 2012, 02:08:19 PM
Anyway the issue with the straight on-slope pieces can be resolved? (Can't drag from the first tile, but you can on the on-slope T-intersection if you drag and remove the stubs from said intersection.)

We have . . . interesting . . . things planned for the On-Slopes. ;)

-Alex

GDO29Anagram

Well, as with the on-slope pieces, I can still see a difference between the modified onslope piece and the elevated piece, but it's really subtle, so it pretty much gets the job done.

As of the change of models, the old ones really were archaic and would have been visually incompatible with future developments, such as elevated NWM networks, and I honestly like the new ones anyway.

Still want a separation? The Euro Cosmetic & Retexture Mod does the same, but if you still want a physical barrier and not just concrete, just sandwich two OWRs together, because that's how the old EAVE pieces were, anyway.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

ivo_su

Woo this is amazing Alex, all networks will have you on-slope/FlexFlay pieces?
As models of Maxis's network, and I liked the structure of OWR and AVE and their cylindrical columns (you told me that this mod is T21) but anyway memo had done a magnificent job, unfortunately you overshadowed it.

memo

Quote from: vortext on September 23, 2012, 01:29:48 PM
Just last week I noticed the same effect for the onlope el-rail and heavy rail pieces and figured it must be the shadows or something. Good to know that isn't the case and a solution is being worked on!  :thumbsup:

Actually, the el-rail onslope piece has been colour corrected since 2007. ;) It is one of smoncrie's pieces. Essentially, almost all onslope puzzle pieces had initially been created by smoncrie, but the ones I have been working on this day are from 2004 and 2005. I did not even know how to spell "SimCity" back then. :D And indeed, it really is the shadows causing the glitch.

So, last but not least.

I am somewhat surprised myself that all the colour-correction worked out that well.