• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: Development

Started by memo, April 29, 2007, 06:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas

ArkenbergeJoe's models are designed to be as compatible as possible. The 3D models and textures are separated into two DAT files, so you can easily change the textures to brick or something else. He also made sure that they work well with buddybud's bridges (pictured above) and similar lots. Thanks to the modular NAM, it will be possible to switch the style of those viaducts "on the fly". BATters are encouraged to create new stations for the elevated heavy rail puzzle pieces; the NAM team will provide support how to mod these stations properly. :)
Andreas

Virginialand

I like those highways with HOV Lanes

ebina

Here's screenshot of the Draggable GLR with classic tracks.

Rural Draggable GLR is not completed yet, I need to draw the alphamap for it.

ArkenbergeJoe

Klasse. Good Work  &apls
EDIT:
Here is the first Screen from the test with the yellow-stone Textur

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ebina on September 04, 2007, 05:30:24 AM
Here's screenshot of the Draggable GLR with classic tracks.

Rural Draggable GLR is not completed yet, I need to draw the alphamap for it.

Draw alphamaps?  Man, that's old school. ;)  What program are you using to make the pieces?  I possibly could tell you a way to make the alphamaps in about 30 seconds for each piece. ;)
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Shadow Assassin

All I did in Photoshop was just separate the layer from the base and just made that layer have a colour map (white) on top using the Layer Effects thingie. And a black base, of course. Worked out very well for me, in fact.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on September 05, 2007, 12:22:54 AM
All I did in Photoshop was just separate the layer from the base and just made that layer have a colour map (white) on top using the Layer Effects thingie. And a black base, of course. Worked out very well for me, in fact.

Well, what I do in PSP7 (Paint Shop Pro 7) is once I have the piece finished and converted into PNG format, I reload the PNG in PSP7.  Then I do a Ctrl-A to select the whole image.  Then I click on the image to make it float.  Then I go to the create Alpha Channel feature, Create the alpha channel, defloat the image then delete it leaving it a clean 128x128 area.  Then I flood fill it with black (0,0,0).  Then I go back into the Alpha Channel area and select the load feature and load the alpha map that I created earlier.  Then the dancing ants show up and then I flood fill the area inside of them with white (255,255,255).  Then I save it as a different file name and then I'm done. :)

Now, it may sound like it takes a long time, but once you get the hang of it, you can make the alpha image for any SC4 piece in 20-30 seconds per piece. ;) :thumbsup:
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

ebina

Unfortunately the tool I'm using doesn't have that kind of function &mmm
Anyway, the alpha-map for these are not too hard. Since they are almost copies of the elevated rail, outlines are very simple.
Here's a result of alpha-mapping.

And one more, Grassy GLR. This is just test version created about 3 months ago that replaces the rural GLR.

ArkenbergeJoe

Here is the brown stone Test-modell

Andreas

@ArkenbergeJoe: Still needs some work, obviously, but it's a nice start! (Sieht noch etwas unfertig aus, aber Du hast ja gerade erst angefangen, wie immer gute Arbeit!) :)

@ebina: I like the grassy GLR, however, I think the rails need at least something that fixes them on the ground. Here's a pic of the tram tracks in Leipzig, near the Messe Leipzig (fairground) in the outskirts of the city. Sorry for the blurry quality, is was shot from a tram that went full speed.

As you can see, there are two concrete foundations running beneath the tracks, this should be somehow reflected in your textures. Thumbs up for the quality of your texture work, though, they're looking excellent!
Andreas

thundercrack83

Looks pretty good there, ArkenbergeJoe! What if you put the brown stone on the gray parts, too? Just a suggestion! Keep up the fantastic work!

Andreas

Quote from: thundercrack83 on September 06, 2007, 09:32:55 AM
Looks pretty good there, ArkenbergeJoe! What if you put the brown stone on the gray parts, too? Just a suggestion! Keep up the fantastic work!

ArkenbergeJoe plans to do that, but just started texturing the supports, which are obiously easier to do than the arches.
Andreas

thundercrack83

Oops, I get it now! Sorry!

writingliberty

I've been noticing that my cities have a pervasive "high" traffic noise rating - even at the end of twisty dead end streets with 15 cars on the edge of town next to country clubs... is there something about the NAM that might be causing this? (I'm using the perfect path 5x speed 10x capacity traffic file). And if so, is there any way it could be fixed?

bat

That's looking very nice, ArkenbergeJoe! :thumbsup:

ebina

Quote from: Andreas on September 06, 2007, 02:21:41 AM
@ebina: I like the grassy GLR, however, I think the rails need at least something that fixes them on the ground. Here's a pic of the tram tracks in Leipzig, near the Messe Leipzig (fairground) in the outskirts of the city. Sorry for the blurry quality, is was shot from a tram that went full speed.

As you can see, there are two concrete foundations running beneath the tracks, this should be somehow reflected in your textures. Thumbs up for the quality of your texture work, though, they're looking excellent!

That is exactly what I was missing. I thought that it is short of something. I will add those to textures.

flame1396

I like the elevated heavy rail support mod.
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

ArkenbergeJoe

Here is the red (Test) Texture for the Viadukt

and brown Texture updated

Madeira aka Constantina

cool. where can i learn to make path files and network models?

Olasz

thanks to ArkenbergeJoe the rail viaduct is getting a shape  :thumbsup: