• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c0rnh0li0

Ok, Ripp. I installed the CRF (game is on my personal laptop, not hooked online). What is it that I'm looking for?

xxdita

Check for Commuters from SimNation, as well as To Simnation.

c0rnh0li0

Quote from: xxdita on April 30, 2008, 11:14:46 PM
Check for Commuters from SimNation, as well as To Simnation.

Res: From - 6,651
Comm: To - 12,100
Ind: To - 11,694

What does all of that mean? ()what()

jplumbley

Quote from: c0rnh0li0 on April 30, 2008, 11:20:36 PM

It should mean you have 6651 Sims using the City Borders... This is the net calculation, meaning there are 6651  more Sims coming into the city than leaving.

The Comm and Ind values should be either total jobs or the total of un-occupied jobs in the city... I would assume un-occupied jobs.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

builder

Ok, but I can't find where to register on to the LEX. I don't have donate, I just have to register?

c0rnh0li0

Quote from: jplumbley on April 30, 2008, 11:31:09 PM
It should mean you have 6651 Sims using the City Borders... This is the net calculation, meaning there are 6651  more Sims coming into the city than leaving.

The Comm and Ind values should be either total jobs or the total of un-occupied jobs in the city... I would assume un-occupied jobs.

Edited:
That can't be right. The road query has no one coming in by hwy. Approx. 900 from Aaronburg by one road. The majority are leaving. About 1000. 1340 if you count freight trucks & rail passengers.

jplumbley

"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

c0rnh0li0

Quote from: jplumbley on May 01, 2008, 01:06:54 AM
Could you show pictures of both cities?

I'll try when I get home from work. I can't use the online connection @ work to do it. I might be able to put something up in about 6hrs.

xxdita

Basically, the numbers shown by querying the neighbor connections are all but useless. The Census Repository will show you exactly what's going on in your city.

As this is a predominantly Industrial city, there are plenty of jobs, so no one should actually need to leave to find work elsewhere in the region, keeping the Commuters to SimNation at 0. But there are 35,000 Sims commuting in to work, reflected by the Commuters from SimNation.

RippleJet

Quote from: c0rnh0li0 on April 30, 2008, 11:20:36 PM

Ok, not quite how JPlumbley explained it... ::)

All figures in the query window are capacities (except for the number of inhabitants seen to the right in the green bar).
Also the commuters are capacities, not actual commuters using the roads.

6,651 commuters coming from SimNation means there is a residential capacity seen in your neighbouring cities.
People occupying that capacity in those neighbouring cities may commute into Larkin looking for jobs.

12,100 commercial commuters to SimNation means there is a commercial capacity seen in your neighbouring cities.
People living within Larkin may go to the neighbouring cities to look for those commercial jobs.

11,694 industrial commuters to SimNation means there is an industrial capacity seen in your neighbouring cities.
People living within Larkin may go to the neighbouring cities to look for those industrial jobs.

As always with capacities, they do not have to be used.
As I told before, you can have industries with a certain capacity (as reported by the normal query),
but without having anyone actually working there (as reported by the route query).

It's the same with capacities seen across city borders.
It is there, but it does not mean someone actually has to be commuting to work across the border.

For a full analysis I would still need to see the whole Census Repository report though.
The commute balance for Larkin would indicate that it's primarily a residential city.
There's a total capacity of 23,794 jobs seen across its border.
People should primarily be commuting out of Larkin for jobs.

The number of available jobs in Larkin is rather essential with regard to commuters from SimNation being able to come to this city for them.

c0rnh0li0

OK, it looks like I'm not going to have time to get to it today (real life kicking me in the rear. That's why I play @ work. I have more free time.) But I did discover something last night while taking photos. I do have one of those feedback loops. But it wasn't where I was looking. I have another city, Eastwood, to the SE of Larkins where commuters are going. Then they go thru Eastwood into Blue Haven, back up to Larkins. So there is probably my problem.

I've been trying to build the suburbs before making my major city, Blue Haven. So I guess I need to go back into Blue Haven, build it back up, then I'll have some jobs for these guys to go to. But it still doesn't explain the disappearing commuters.

HandsOn

My head is spinning from this simulator stuff: are there actually any reliable numbers to be had? Like a train station reporting 5,150 in usage - it must be meters, cannot be passengers because I am watching and there's a nary a train appearing!

RJ: you've done a helluva job with the CR, even with all the tooltips, etc. But I think we need a fully detailed read-me or some such with the next version, to really explain where the numbers are coming from and where they are going - if anywhere. At least dumb old me would.. ::)

Why not visit The Empire MD
Just updated on July 2nd, 2008
And after the game's done.. - The Storyteller's Logbook

c0rnh0li0

Don't know if this will work or not. I've never posted images before.

c0rnh0li0

c0rnh0li0

Larkins to Blue Haven. Sorry for the mulitple posts, but the site said my post was too large w/all 3 attachments @ one time. If this doesn't work, let me know.

Tarkus

It looks like you just have freight traffic going between Larkins and Aaronburg, if I'm not mistaken.  The way the game works, all freight traffic just searches for the shortest route to a neighbor connection and arriving at the connection, the game considers that freight to have "arrived" and ends its trip there.  This is because Maxis skimped out on the way the game handles freight.  That's just the way the game works, unfortunately, and fixing it would more or less require editing the .exe file.  So that is why the traffic isn't getting over the border between Larkins and Aaronburg either way.

(Also, I'd recommend using Imageshack [link] to upload the pics.  It's free and works great most of the time, and then you don't have to worry about the Attachment limit here.)

-Alex (Tarkus)

c0rnh0li0

Quote from: Tarkus on May 02, 2008, 05:31:36 PM
It looks like you just have freight traffic going between Larkins and Aaronburg, if I'm not mistaken.  The way the game works, all freight traffic just searches for the shortest route to a neighbor connection and arriving at the connection, the game considers that freight to have "arrived" and ends its trip there.  This is because Maxis skimped out on the way the game handles freight.  That's just the way the game works, unfortunately, and fixing it would more or less require editing the .exe file.  So that is why the traffic isn't getting over the border between Larkins and Aaronburg either way.

(Also, I'd recommend using Imageshack [link] to upload the pics.  It's free and works great most of the time, and then you don't have to worry about the Attachment limit here.)

-Alex (Tarkus)

I don't understand. Why does that explain why traffic isn't coming in to Larkins?

2 other things I forgot to ask:

How do I take a photo of the CRF? The game won't allow me to click photo when the CRF is on the screen.

And do you think there could be a problem w/reconcilling the borders? I used the terraformer to create my region & haven't opened some of the "outside" tiles yet.

Tarkus

According to the Traffic Query, you do actually have Car traffic (Green) coming into Larkins from the Road at the top part of your second pic, going to jobs in the Industrial area on the other side of the bridge.

But the traffic that appears to be going to Aaronburg is all freight traffic (Light Blue), as shown in the first and second pics.  As far as the game is concerned, the freight has reached its destination at edge of the tile.  It simply doesn't exist in Aaronburg.

As far as taking a photo of the CRF, try using the Print Screen button--then just open up an image-editing program and use the Paste command, which will bring the image into the program and allow you to save it.

-Alex (Tarkus)

c0rnh0li0

Quote from: Tarkus on May 02, 2008, 05:59:08 PM
According to the Traffic Query, you do actually have Car traffic (Green) coming into Larkins from the Road at the top part of your second pic, going to jobs in the Industrial area on the other side of the bridge.

But the traffic that appears to be going to Aaronburg is all freight traffic (Light Blue), as shown in the first and second pics.  As far as the game is concerned, the freight has reached its destination at edge of the tile.  It simply doesn't exist in Aaronburg......
-Alex (Tarkus)

I realize this. But does it explain the disappearance of the traffic going into Larkins. That's the dilemma.

soulchaser

ehrm...another question:
is it possible that those hole-diggers (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1544) don't work anymore with the new nam?
i'm not able to drag any roads on to those lots anymore...

Edit....
nevermind...reloaded the citytile and the lots worked again....strrrrrange (ok...that's not the explanation.....see edit2)

Edit2....
even stranger: all raisers work...diggers 8 & 10, too....but none of the other diggers....problem with the nam? or with the lots?

Recently Iced

You might also visit my participitation in GRVII - Bordertown!