• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Paradox Interactive announces Cities: Skylines

Started by Tarkus, August 14, 2014, 03:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankU

Quote from: sunv123 on August 21, 2014, 05:55:26 AM
The amount of hard work going into the game and making it as enjoyable as possible is mind-blowing. :o I'll be watching and by the way it's going right now, it'll be a must-get on my list.

Quote**Would someone who was bored with Sim City a long time ago actually enjoy this game?**

For the record. I played and enjoyed the latest Sim City about 6 hours. We're building a game you can play for 600 hours.
:D

Oh, yeah, I read that.
I have been playing SC4 for at least 6000 hours, so there is still a challenge for them!   :D

Bipin

I'm really excited with how modding will be handled in this game. I had asked Paradox/CO staff on a few occasions about modding. Their answers have basically surmised to a wide array of aspects can be changed, and there will be two or three tools available to facilitate this, should the game stay on schedule. The first tool is, as Xannepan had said, a FBX importer for externally created 3D assets. The response was slightly confusing, but it sounds like there will also be a tool for creating assets in-game, if you aren't comfortable with 3D modeling in Google ketchup, Maya, 3dsMax, Blender etc. Nonetheless, there will at least be a tool for creating park assets in game. It seems like you'll be able to design a layout for a park in this tool using pre-made and probably imported assets too. This predefined layout will then be used as blueprints to fill whichever areas you demarcate as green-space. The third tool will be for creating mods that don't have to do with 3D assets; (ie. money mods, terrain texture mods, not houses and offices). EDIT: There will also be a map editor.

Overall, this is very exciting. I think we've already been promised/seen evidence of more of our wishes being implemented at this stage than we ever did before Sim City 2013's release.

catty

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

catty

Great Interview with Mariina Hallikainen CEO of Colossal Order   ()stsfd()

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-F-vj2LVT8
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

joshua43214

It certainly looks promising.
Shame they went with 3d rendering though, I would probably be happier with 6 zoom levels and 8 viewpoints, similar to SC4's setup.

It will also be interesting to see how the building leveling system actually works out for modders. I doubt porting all the fine work from the LEX will really be as simple as they are implying because of it.
No in game terraforming is a bit of a game breaker for me as well. Some of their screen shots make me think "you guys need a slope mod, and some terrain work."

I found it rather interested how they carefully avoiding any comparison to SC4. I did the SC2013 Beta, and felt no need to even check to see if the game got improved by modders later. It was clear that game had failed out of the concept box. CS seems to have the right concepts. Hopefully it ends up well implemented.

I expect I will buy it just to encourage them and others to keep trying.

catty

Sim.Rico

compdude787

Quote from: catty on September 25, 2014, 04:53:20 PM
OMG a waterfall   &dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw8PPSeBo_4&feature=em-subs_digest

Those devs have such a sense of humor though!! Either way, it's shaping up to be a really nice-looking game!
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

CahosRahneVeloza

Here's hoping they'd also include a suitable Agricultural component to the game as well. We all don't yearn living in the big city after all :)

vester

catty

Quote from: CahosRahneVeloza on September 26, 2014, 02:28:04 PM
Here's hoping they'd also include a suitable Agricultural component to the game as well. We all don't yearn living in the big city after all :)

Well they did in CIM1, I had (and still do have) farms all over the place, the pigs and cows were always very law abiding and used to stick to the footpaths when they escaped.

-catty

JoeST

dang, they seem to be doing a great job, I'm liking it more and more
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

art128

Quote from: JoeST on September 27, 2014, 02:09:02 AM
dang, they seem to be doing a great job, I'm liking it more and more

And I'm in the total opposite. On the paper it looked nice, but the more and more pictures I see makes me think this studio will not get my money.

source

I'll not even start to say what is wrong with this airport.

And also from what I've seen in videos, it seems the map will be seriously small. It seems the map can be extended like in City life? That sounds good but not enough to make me want this game..  &mmm

Honestly, all I see is a SC13.5 .... Hoping we will be able to fully mod it like for Simcity 4.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

vortext

Quote from: art128 on September 27, 2014, 07:59:41 AM
I'll not even start to say what is wrong with this airport.

What, you don't like trees on the taxi lanes?!  $%Grinno$%
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

joshua43214

Quote from: vortext on September 27, 2014, 08:22:58 AM

What, you don't like trees on the taxi lanes?!  $%Grinno$%

Lol, I don't like trees that wave back and forth like weeds in a Sponge Bob cartoon, I thought I was going to get motion sick watching them flop around.

I know the game is still in alpha, but I'm with art128, it is looking worse and worse the more I see of it.

There are some things I really like about it, and I will probably still buy the game just to encourage studios to keep working on the genre.

Unless they actually make good on the promise of it being very mod friendly (which I do not believe for a moment), it will just be an upgrade to SC 2013. The game will need to be completely overhauled by modders to not be a cartoony eyesore. But, if they make good on modding, add in-game terraforming (lack of is a deal breaker for me), then this could be pretty awesome.

catty

Quote from: art128 on September 27, 2014, 07:59:41 AM
...it seems the map will be seriously small. [/s] It seems the map can be extended like in City life? That sounds good but not enough to make me want this game..  &mmm...

According to what I've been reading, the game will ship with a standard map size and if your computer can handle it you can opt to increase your city size by "buying" more land next to your city.

QuoteLol, I don't like trees that wave back and forth like weeds in a Sponge Bob cartoon,

And I'm with joshua43214 on the trees they just look weird when they move.

wallasey

Bit concerned to see the taxes aren't looking at the building wealths. I think I may be an anomaly due to the fact that I build UK cities with the crampt inner city terraces...then middle class suburbs ect. I control this with the wealth taxation...and that works great!

Don't know how I will be able to continue building my UK inspired cities in Cities: Skylines.

vester

Quote from: catty on September 27, 2014, 10:29:31 AM
Quote from: joshua43214Lol, I don't like trees that wave back and forth like weeds in a Sponge Bob cartoon,

And I'm with joshua43214 on the trees they just look weird when they move.

The trees are just working models and will not move as much in the final game.

Kimchi-san

Hmm, it looks interesting but I do agree that the games doesn't seem to fit my taste. The no-terraforming is a deal breaker for me as well. I'm personally following Citybound at the moment and I'm leaning towards it at the moment. Too me this looks like a somewhat spin-off but I'll keep following to see if there will be any developments or changes. At the moment I find it hard to believe about the 'mod-friendly' statement as well, but we'll see. I'll wait and watch before I bite the bullet.

catty

They have posted their first Dev Diary

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/content.php?1986-Cities-Skylines-Dev-Diary-1-Roads

Mind you they have a weird sense of humour when it comes to some of the vehicles   :D

EDIT:   ()stsfd()

QuoteRight/Left side traffic
This has been a feature that has been requested from the time when the Earth was still a young planet drifting in space in the early years of the solar system. I am happy to announce that in Cities: Skylines it is possible to determine whether the traffic is right- or left-handed. In Cities: Skylines one of the key points in road building and the behavior of vehicles was to make it possible to change the side of the traffic easily. Instead of complex, hand-crafted animations for public transport vehicles and such all is handled through code which gives a lot more freedom compared to manually animating each vehicle to work with both right- and left-handed traffic.