• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Official Paradox Interactive - Cities: Skylines Discussion

Started by threestooges, March 04, 2015, 06:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggman121

Quote from: catty on March 15, 2015, 04:35:32 PM
Its times like this I regret no longer being on staff here, if I was there would be a karma point heading your way

Done for you Catty  :thumbsup:

Bipin, outstanding work Again!!!

-eggman121

Bipin

Thank you so much Catty and Egmman! I'm happy to witness the fruits of my labour. Not only that I got a karma point, but that I've been able to help some folks take another step forwards towards custom content creation in CSL.  :thumbsup: I can't wait to see how things like the NAM or NYBT are rendered in the context of this new game. There's a lot of potential!

catty

Thanks for that eggman121 much appreciated   :)

Hi Bipin

Have tried out one of the medieval houses I have and got up to the last stage of importing it, but then ran into problems I'm assuming because technically my computer shouldn't be able to run the game at all, am putting some money away with the aim of getting a new computer this year so this might have to wait until then.

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

dedgren

I think I'm in love.

David

resized pic ~ Erik GM
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

catty

Quote from: dedgren on March 16, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
I think I'm in love....

Great Picture, and I can see why you love it, don't think I'm quite as in love with the Steam Workshop, I do plan on keeping the SC4 Plugins Catalog (changing to a picture catalog due to software issues) over at CB, but am thinking of adding in a rating system so people can rate items in the Steam Workshop ...

Anyway a link I meant to post over here yesterday and forgot to do ...

http://kotaku.com/simcity-artist-now-making-sweet-cities-skylines-buildi-1691593903
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Jespernilsson

I think I'm in love.

David

When Dedgren loves it we know it to be good!

I will never forget those late nights where I spent hours reading the whole 3RR thread and just feeling damn cozy about it all. Your word is law when it comes to city building ;D

Anyway, here's what I'm messing around with using my home made fields (1x16 which I stack):

resized pic ~ Erik GM

vester

Quote from: Jespernilsson on March 16, 2015, 02:37:46 PM
I think I'm in love.

David

....Your word is law

Think you nailed it there. David is a man of the law. :)

Some beatiful pictures.
Not sure about the threes in the last picture behind the windmills.
The leaves reminds me of ferns.

Bipin

Fear not! There are a few people making tree mods, and they are quite an improvement I have to say. Also, I hope you can get things sorted out Catty. Importing models is a little finicky at this stage, so I'm sure a poorly performing computer wouldn't help things. I'd be happy to help you out, though I'm learning about this game just as we all are. It can be a bit quirky at times!  :-\

Rayden

I think I'm in love.

David

This game has also the NAM team would be in love to have in SimCity4, a way to build their own interchanges outside the game (sandbox mode), convert them into Assets and load them to the game as lots that can be plopped anywhere and connect them to their roads/highways. Steam workshop it's flooded with them already, I think that's the most available items available over there. 8)

Haljackey

Now that Cities: Skylines has been out for a week, I thought I would share some of my impressions of the game. I also compare it to some SimCity games.

http://youtube.com/v/eWWFhJ_CV_k

catty

Quote from: Bipin on March 16, 2015, 06:36:24 PM
...Also, I hope you can get things sorted out Catty. Importing models is a little finicky at this stage, so I'm sure a poorly performing computer wouldn't help things. I'd be happy to help you out, though I'm learning about this game just as we all are....

Thanks for the offer, I think at this stage I just have to accept that I should be grateful my single-core celeron processor with integrated Intel graphics computer is able to play the game anything else is probably asking way too much of it   ()testing()

Mr_Maison

Good to see this discussion over here. I'm having creative fun with this game so far. Especially the water spawns in map editor. I find myself making terrain just to see how the water flow. But I'm also waiting for some fixes from both official developers and the modding community for some things.

For those making trees, What is the most important thing to consider? I'm using XFrog so have to watch the poly count. I imagine billboards is the way to go for leaves and branches yes?

FrankU

azurespecter

I'd sure love to see more tree variety! So glad to see such amazing and talented people giving Cities: Skylines a shot.

As you can probably guess, we've been devoting our time to fixing release bugs and technical issues. But soon enough we'll start cruising ahead with new features and content. Hoping to get some great feedback from SC4D =)
Jonathan (AzureSpecter)
Cities: Skylines Community Manager
Paradox Interactive

girlfromverona

I think I'm in love.

Me too. Sure, it doesn't yet have the user-made content that SC4 has but it does have a really good foundation. I am so excited about what's to come, as I know there are some super talented people in this community. I wonder if anyone's working on a terrain replacement mod yet? Not that the current one is bad - I'd just like a bit more variety. I'm also looking forward to seeing different civic buildings (fire, police, schools, etc).

Just curious: how long have you all played so far? I'm up to 28 hours, although somehow I thought it'd be more! :D

CasperVg

I agree, Cities: Skylines turned out to be a pretty fun game; kudos to Paradox/Colossal Order for their understanding of the city-building game community and for making a great game :)

Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

jondor

Rising from the dead here.

I initially heard about the game only a week or so before release because a couple of the Minecraft youtubers I follow got advanced copies of the game and started putting out videos on it. In the aftermath of EA's SimCity abortion and several of the other less than adequate simulators, I just kind of dismissed Cities: Skylines at first, but eventually I did end up watching some of their videos and decided it was worth the $30 on Steam.

I'm immensely happy to see that there is modding support and that the game is functional, even if the aesthetics could be improved upon. The controls certainly take some getting used to (even after not playing SC4 for a couple years, I still have all the hotkeys committed to memory), but overall I've found the game to be a good experience and a breath of fresh air that the city simulator community has needed.

No guarantees, since my muse is fickle, but once I've had some time to build up a few big cities, I may get into the modding side of things and see what I can do for the game.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

eggman121

Great to see you back here Jondor  ;D

I can agree where the aesthetic flaws are but I think they are suppose to be fixed up in a future update.

I have contemplated making content myself but don't know where too start.

Glad to see you back here!

hope you take a look around too see what has been going on.

-eggman121

Rayden

So far I have now more than 40 hours playing time and I'm starting to have the hang of it. It's a long time since I played for objectives, I was used to play just for fun and aesthetics without worrying about major things like money, pollution, etc.
I can say I'm enjoying the game, despite I miss a few things we have with SC4 like ploppable buildings (Commercial and Industrial) with direct relation with RCI base and RCI buildings bigger than the standard 4x4 like it's now. But I think with time we will fill those gaps through modding, or maybe the devs could take that into account and try to see if it's fissionable to implement that trough a patch/update in the future.

belfastsocrates

Quote from: FrankU on March 17, 2015, 02:32:38 PM
So this really seems to be a good sequel....

My initial concerns seem to being addressed. I like that people are creating colour correction/modding tools as I didn't like the initial 'cartoon' colours. It would be good to see some quality control though in regard to some of the buildings and assets being uploaded. Though in time the quality will improve greatly and I look forward to maybe trying some building creation myself.

I'm going to give this a go once I update my laptop but I will always have and use SC4 because I can create beautifully detailed lots. SC4 has really become a canvas for me as 'game-playing' is not that important and nor do I have the time for spend hours upon hours at a screen playing a game.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde