• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Official Paradox Interactive - Cities: Skylines Discussion

Started by threestooges, March 04, 2015, 06:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CahosRahneVeloza

Quote from: Haljackey on March 07, 2015, 03:59:49 PM
Edit: Im a n00b when it comes to Steam threads, says "Your account is not allowed to post in Cities: Skylines discussions". Know why? Do I need to buy the game?

That's odd...

You do not have to own the game to be able to post on there.

Does this "Your account is not allowed to post in Cities: Skylines discussions" notification appear on a red bordered notification area above the main "Cities Skylines Steam Discussions" page?

If it is *Gulp!* that means you've been banned on that particular section on Steam.

And if you were banned on there why would they do so.

Haljackey

Nope. its on the bottom of the page. No red icon/border or anything

I don't own any game on Steam... maybe that's why? Perhaps I actually need to buy something before I can post anywhere.

-----

Getting back on topic, one thing I noticed is that for rails, you cannot build tracks until you build a station which requires a road connection. It's a little finicky to get everything to line up after you place a station.... will take some time to get it perfect, and possibly a few tries.

For buses, you get to make your own lines. I need to study some transit maps!

Turjan

Quote from: wallasey on March 07, 2015, 03:31:59 PMThere's been a lot of talk about modding ect and how it is being encouraged for us to get involved. Is there much "skill" (for wanton of a better expression) required to contribute to the community? I tried Batting in SC4, but never really got the hang of it. I'd like to make my own buildings...to have my cities truly looking like they could have come out of Liverpool or Manchester. Would it be possible to provide more information on how the creation of new buildings will work please? I am almost more interested in this than the game itself!

I don't know how to do this, either, but maybe you can extract something from the building competition info:

"Start with ~1000 triangles for buildings (can be fewer triangles if smaller building like a detached house - the fewer the better performance-wise), going up to 10K+ triangles for really big, monument sized buildings but don't go too far over 10K tris. LOD models need to be as few triangles as possible, maximum of 100. Keeping it below 100 tris guarantees it actually works. LOD model does not need to be textured but it needs to be UV-mapped. LOD filename should end with "LOD.fbx".

Textures required/supported:
- diffuse
- normal map
- specular (grayscale, 100% white is reflective glass windows)
- alpha (greyscale)
- colormask (grayscale, white colored areas mean they are affected by set variable colors - i.e. you want same roof color but different colored walls, make the colormask white on the wall areas of the building)
- illumination (grayscale, illumination color is taken from the diffuse map)

File format is FBX (usually with X-axis of the pivot, not the building itself, rotated 90 degrees due to Unity's coordinate system).

If you are creating buildings for zoned areas, keep them within the 4x4 cell size (one cell is 8m x 8m) - can be also smaller than such as 3x2 cells and so forth. Ploppaples can be obviously bigger but don't go overboard."

I think that file format is used in programs like Blender. No idea where else.

Turjan

Quote from: Haljackey on March 08, 2015, 09:49:25 AM
Nope. its on the bottom of the page. No red icon/border or anything

I don't own any game on Steam... maybe that's why? Perhaps I actually need to buy something before I can post anywhere.

I can give you a key for some (mostly garbage) game if you want to try whether that's the reason. Then again, I think the cheapest games are something like 14 cents or so.

Edit: Yeah, "Squishy the Suicidal Pig" or "Dead Bits" are both 14 cents (US). Nobody expects you to play those ;).

Rayden

I saw this video today, the water physics it's amazing, almost real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oWHNWK3mnE&t=12

Can't wait until tomorrow to try it out.  :thumbsup:

vortext

Been watching a couple of twitch streams over the weekend, among which the paradox stream (btw was that you azurespecter? The guys twitter handle was @a_spec but I think his name was Matt?! Besides he was Dutch (as am I coincidentally) and your email address name doesn't seem very Dutch).

Anyway, in no particular order: likes & dislikes

• districts, ever since this was revealed I thought it was the coolest thing ever, still do. The implementation seems flawless as well.
  • as mentioned the water physics are awesome! Noticed it probably in the first trailer and it just looks really great. Added bonus that's actually functional
  • modding support seems really, really well thought out! Are custom themes possible btw?

dislikes

• the need to start with pre-established outside connections. Ugh, no. Just don't. On the same note, the need for a predetermined starting tile 
  • tree cap, seriously?! On the same note, the 64 props cap in the asset editor, that's just way too little. Already saw someone running out of props when making a fairly simple park
  • Not sure about this but from what I've seen there's a distinct lack of graphs which show various stats plotted over time. Maybe it's hidden somewhere deep in the menus but if not then that's a serious flaw. How else are you supposed to tell how the city is developing, let alone if your interventions have the desired result?

Another, more general remark but I could've done without the 'border of terrain for aesthetic purposes' because it means in the end, even with 25 tiles unlocked the city still is surrounded by empty land beyond reach. That's what I really like about SC4: I can go to whatever part of the region and act upon it. There're no dotted lines to mark the border, there's no land beyond my grasp. Would be really great if some kind of regional system were to be implemented down the road where 3x3 (or5x5) maps could be adjacent to each other. Even if they didn't have any impact on each other and you'd have to go in and out of the main menu to play each map, it'd still be great to have larger areas connected, visually that is.

All in all  I'm pretty stoked to give it a go but alas, my pc is not up to par (32 bit system. . :( ).
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Turjan

Quote from: vortext on March 09, 2015, 10:54:49 AM
dislikes

• the need to start with pre-established outside connections. Ugh, no. Just don't. On the same note, the need for a predetermined starting tile 
At least this point does not have any lasting implications. As soon as you buy the plot with the connection, you can change everything to your liking.

I agree with the rest.

vortext

Maybe I wasn't clear or maybe I don't understand it correctly but from what I've gathered there must be a connection to the outside,  i.e. to the edge of the map at all times. In other words, it doesn't seem possible to just start out with a self sustaining community and make an outside connection on own terms when time is ready. I sort of understand why, with importing/exporting to balance the city out and act as a buffer, so to speak, but it'd be nice to be able to start with a self sufficient town.
time flies like a bird

catty

Quote from: vortext on March 09, 2015, 11:32:51 AM
...In other words, it doesn't seem possible to just start out with a self sustaining community and make an outside connection on own terms when time is ready. I sort of understand why, with importing/exporting which acts as a buffer I guess but it'd be nice to be able to start with a self sufficient town.

They seem to be taking the view that the people have to arrive from somewhere ... so far I haven't seen anyone start off a town by just using the rail or water connections ... people I've watched have just picked the road connection each time ... maybe you can't at the beginning ...

Like you while I've got a Win7 64-bit computer it was bought for playing SC4 and having tried and failed to run CIM2 on it, I'm fairly certain it won't run Cities: Skylines   :'(
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Turjan

@Vortext: That's correct. Without outside connections, your stores won't have anything to sell and your citizens nothing to buy.  You need fuel, food, manufactured goods etc.  Like you said, this acts as the import/export buffer for your town to work. You can follow the ore trucks come into your city and deliver their freight to industrial buildings.

I think you can switch to other means of transport, like harbors, if you don't like the motorways. I haven't seen anyone test the capacities of those though.

@catty: You are right, the people themselves also have to come from somewhere.

vortext

That's a pretty valid standpoint & solution. I guess the challenge then becomes to create a town with zero imports/exports.   :D

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has to watch at the sidelines Catty. But at least you can still give it a go. . at the lowest possible level of detail.   :P

I was already looking around for a new pc and will definitely take the specs for Cities into consideration.

rant / current system is so f*cking sluggish, even after re installation from scratch (what a fun week that was  &sly). It can literally take half a minute just to open a folder. Not to mention constantly running out of ram while doing super simple stuff, like posting on forums. Currently at 67% better make it quick before it reaches ~95 and the tab crashes. . . :angrymore: / end of rant  :)
time flies like a bird

Turjan

Quote from: Rayden on March 09, 2015, 10:35:46 AM
I saw this video today, the water physics it's amazing, almost real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oWHNWK3mnE&t=12

Can't wait until tomorrow to try it out.  :thumbsup:

The video that got me excited was this one:

http://youtu.be/f2ypNQdw8JY

That reminds me of my model railroad days :).

@catty, Vortext: That's a pity with your computers. I was just about lucky, as my video card is just at the lower limit of the minimum specs. Next time, it's my turn to be left out I guess.

vortext

The ability to follow stuff around is great, even saw someone clicking a seagull and follow it flying around!  :D

What got me really interested was the aforementioned paradox stream past weekend when he mentioned you can basically rewrite the entire simulation, like add resources, make new industries, set the different levels, create new milestones and wonders and everything. Promptly imagined a medieval economy with vastly more resources and farming options and it also seems Alex has already taken a liking to Cities. Besides, I'd like to hone my C# skills. .  ::)

btw, this guy is playing right now, on all 25 tiles unlocked and reached 350k population simulated agents.  :o
time flies like a bird

dwelln8hss32

I am so ready to jump into this game. I recently built a new computer solely with this intent. ;D  I also plan to start modding for the first time in the 10 years I've been playing SC4. I'm not leaving SC4 alone, but beginning a new platform feels good.

I've had a a handful of looks into CSL and I'm pleased with what I see, generally. My main gripes are: similar to what Vortext and others point out, in my opinion the pre-fab highways, while functional and probably necessary, are garrish and take a bit of spontaneity away from game play; the buildings are too cartoonish, and tend to over-emphasize Euro aesthetic, which I suppose you'd expect Norwegian developers to be inspired by; city sizes seem too small in border and population (capped at 1 million, which I suppose would be pretty large).

I'm sure I'll find more to complain about, but I'm hoping my elation during game simulation will overlap any dissatisfaction. Already purchased on Steam and ready to DL tomorrow.  :bnn:
All metropolitan dreams start somewhere... in the minds of many, in the feet of less, but in the hands and hearts of only few.

Turjan

Quote from: dwelln8hss32 on March 09, 2015, 01:12:44 PM
... the buildings are too cartoonish, and tend to over-emphasize Euro aesthetic, which I suppose you'd expect Norwegian developers to be inspired by...
The small houses look European, yes. The larger city gives off more of a Hong Kong/Japan vibe to me and does not look European at all.

And never tell the developers that they are Norwegian. One of the developers already meant "You are dead to me" when someone called them Danish :D.

art128

Quote from: Turjan on March 09, 2015, 01:33:28 PM
The larger city gives off more of a Hong Kong/Japa

Sorry, I'll just to come this thread and say this:

ahahah, no.

And I'm out.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Turjan

Quote from: art128 on March 09, 2015, 05:05:11 PM
Quote from: Turjan on March 09, 2015, 01:33:28 PM
The larger city gives off more of a Hong Kong/Japa

Sorry, I'll just to come this thread and say this:

ahahah, no.
The size and spacing is obviously lower/wider, but I refer to specific building styles and window distributions on quite a few of the buildings (side frames, window bands).

Perhaps they went for something generic. If the American says it's European, the European says it's Asian, and the Asian says it isn't the latter, it's probably a mix of elements that fits nowhere completely and everywhere to some extent. 

They will have European buildings as first expansion.

twist2172

Hey I'm not the biggest computer expert, but i was just wondering if I had the right operating system to be able to play Cities: Skylines.  Im on OS X Yosemite, version 10.10.2 , Processor 2.5 GHz intel core i5, memory 4 GB, graphics intel hd graphics 4000 1024 MB.  I just don't want to buy the game and then realize that my computer isn't able to play the game.  Thanks for your time!

zimmie

Quote from: twist2172 on March 09, 2015, 07:01:45 PM
Hey I'm not the biggest computer expert, but i was just wondering if I had the right operating system to be able to play Cities: Skylines.  Im on OS X Yosemite, version 10.10.2 , Processor 2.5 GHz intel core i5, memory 4 GB, graphics intel hd graphics 4000 1024 MB.  I just don't want to buy the game and then realize that my computer isn't able to play the game.  Thanks for your time!

Mac System
Requirements

Minimum:
Operating System: OS X 10.10 OS X 10.9 OS X 10.9 (64-bit), Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.0GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 3.2GHz, RAM: 4GB, Graphics Card: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 260, 512 MB / ATI Radeon HD 5670, 512 MB, Hard Drive: 4 GB, Does not support Intel Integrated Graphics Card

Recommended:
Operating System: OS X 10.10 OS X 10.9 OS X 10.9 (64-bit) Processor: Intel Core i5-3470, 3.20GHz / AMD FX-6300, 3.5Ghz, RAM: 6GB, Graphics Card: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, 2 GB / AMD Radeon HD 7870, 2 GB, Hard Drive: 4 GB, Does not support Intel Integrated Graphics Card

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/cities-skylines

Says it supports the OS, CPU and amount of memory that you have but not the GPU. Although "not supporting" doesn't necessarily mean that it won't run it - maybe on lowest graphics settings. Who knows. I'm sure that there will be plenty of people with the onboard intel graphics chip who will be trying after it releases though. You won't know til then.