• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Official Paradox Interactive - Cities: Skylines Discussion

Started by threestooges, March 04, 2015, 06:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggman121

Quote from: vortext on March 12, 2015, 11:23:27 AM
Speaking of specs, I'm very close settling on a new pc: i5-4460 3.2GHz, 8GB ram, GeForce GTX 750, 2T HHD and Windows 7 pro.  :bnn:
Slightly above budget (as these things tend to . . ) but it should last me a decent number of years, right?

I have a four year old computer that runs the Cities: Skylines perfectly... Although it was high end when I got it.

i7 2600 3.4 GHz Sandy bridge, 2 SSDs, one for OS another for games fitted after (Once you go SSD you never look back but still a bit pricy), 8 GB ram, Nvidia GTX 470 1280 MB Ram, 1 TB HDD and windows 7 pro x64.

-eggman121

joshua43214

Speaking of specs, I'm very close settling on a new pc: i5-4460 3.2GHz, 8GB ram, GeForce GTX 750, 2T HHD and Windows 7 pro.  :bnn:
Slightly above budget (as these things tend to . . ) but it should last me a decent number of years, right?

If you are building your own, it is a bit obsolete already TBH.
I built mine almost two years ago
i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16Gig RAM and two N570GTX video cards running SLI. I kept my 500Gb HDD and added a second 2TB HDD.
If I did it over, I would use 32Gb RAM, and set up the paging system over 16GB of it. Set up this way, a conventional HDD will outperform a SDD easily except for start up. This was a reasonably priced set up aside from the video cards.

Also, get Win8.1 if you are in a desktop environment. It is far more stable and faster than win7, and the user experience is almost identical. Unless you hit the start button, you would not know you are not using win7. I have been using win8 since beta, and I can say most of what you hear about it is bull crap on a desktop, You do not need a touch screen, etc. I don't like the start menu, but then I didn't like the start button when it first came out back in the '90s either lol.

vortext

Quote from: joshua43214 on March 12, 2015, 02:02:03 PM
If you are building your own, it is a bit obsolete already TBH.

No I'm not building myself and don't really need a powerhouse anyway.

Quote from: joshua43214 on March 12, 2015, 02:02:03 PM
Also, get Win8.1 if you are in a desktop environment. It is far more stable and faster than win7, and the user experience is almost identical. Unless you hit the start button, you would not know you are not using win7. I have been using win8 since beta, and I can say most of what you hear about it is bull crap on a desktop.

ok that's good to know, iirc there was an almost identical system with win8.1 Thanks.  :)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

pxljce

I'm running Windows 7 on Intel i5-4670 3.4 GHz with 8GB RAM. Dated yes, but it runs the Adobe suite(work) and the games I play(nothing requiring hardcore graphics) perfectly fine. Stable and fast.

Only issue is my super outdated graphics card that I kept from my previous build because I ran out of money.  $%Grinno$%

But I reckon with a mid-range graphics card my system will chug along happily for a few more years. Oh and I'll throw in an SSD sometime when money allows.

Buuuut back to Skylines the milestones thing sounds interesting. I'm gonna take a look at that.

Something else I noticed is the lots look very bare, but I guess that's the nature of the beast.

vortext

Yeah sorry for derailing the thread with my off topic pc chatter, one of the perks of being GM.  $%Grinno$%

Anyway, the actual modding features (as in modify the code) are well taken into account, take a look at the wiki to start with.

way later edit, been looking around in the steam workshop

Crazy number for what, two days since release? And apparently everybody been so busy creating new stuff they forgot to set the proper categories.  ::) On the flipside there're already a number of collections with 50 to 75 growables to add some variety, though mostly in the vanilla style. Guess it's a matter of time before before style collections can be be assembled.   

Also, on reddit there's a CS Mod Audits sub which checks the mod files (.dll) for potential malicious content so you can take a look there if you want to make sure something is safe to add.

Yet another edit but there's a CS Modding sub on reddit, too.
time flies like a bird

itsacoaster

pxljce

250,000 copies in one day. Making it a new record for Paradox interactive.

I have a feeling we're gonna be intersectioned to death on the workshop. Happiness. Bliss. Keep it coming.  $%Grinno$%

*edit
Speaking of which I've followed Xannepan on the workshop and it would be great to know who else is going to be creating content for Skylines and under what username.

Diggis

Rayden

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

vortext

pxljce, I've registered on steam and the paradox forums as vrtxt and vortext respectively, nothing there yet though.  I'm also on reddit as vrtxt.  :)

That was a great read Diggis.  ()stsfd()
time flies like a bird

threestooges

One 21 picture story and I'm already in love with the depth of this game. Thanks for linking that, diggis.
-Matt

Haljackey

catty

...Catty at least you could install it, go play already !  >:(  $%Grinno$% ...

Had a go at building a city in it last night and was back this morning at it ... and last night didn't notice that bedtime had been and come and gone, have posted something on my own site about it ... There is no point re-writing what I posted here

http://city-builders.info/cb-groups/item/16-cities-skylines-group

in this post, so I'll just quote myself its easier   ;D

QuoteTried out Cities: Skyline last night and this morning this isn't a review given my computer specs and the difficulty I had opening up and playing one of the quad's, but having said that I do get the same general feeling that I remember getting when I first installed and played SimCity 4, there are some major differences like zoning ...

In SC4 you zoned something commercial for example and you also got the roads laid out for you as well, in CSky you build the roads first and then decided what the zoning is going to be ... so you need to have more of a plan in your head as to your cities road layout is going to be, and once you do zone something you can't just rezone it, you have to delete the zone and start again ... it all works just needs a change in thinking and a bit more planning before you start anything.

Two things I would change if I could.

1. When plopping any kind of service you get overlay to show you what's got for example electricity or not,  its not that I don't like this I do, but I really like to see what I'm doing especially if I'm about to add something to the city and the overlay hides to much of what's underneath it so its not possible to tell what you are about to destroy or whether something is going to look OK in that area IE if that bus stop makes sense where you are about to plop it ... I would really like the option to switch off the overlay either individually or all of them at once.

2. I hate the swaying trees and found myself deleting the trees out of my city because I could no longer stand the constant swaying that they were doing, I get it was a nod to having weather but give me a Banished tree every time they act in a far more realistic way than the Csky trees.

Finally I really do like having what feels like real people, even animals living in your city ... it brings it to life and that I really do love ‏

If you look closely at this picture you can see its a dog I just queried to see what it was doing at the bus stop

()stsfd()

EDIT: Here's the other picture from the CB Post

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Girafe

In which folder I have to place the 3d models? to import them in the game?

what extension is accepeted, fbx?
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

catty

Hi Girafe

Its .fbx file format and it looks like you can have the model anywhere before importing it into the game, I'm not a modder tho I just had a quick read of this document

http://www.skylineswiki.com/Asset_Editor
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Girafe

Thanks Catty, I just found this, will try with those explanations :)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

catty

For those of you that like me prefer to own physical copies of our software games

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Cities-Skylines-Deluxe-Edition/23007055

And yes they do post to overseas's destinations   :thumbsup:

Bipin

I had posted this over on the CSL forums, but I feel as though it might be useful here too. These are my processes using Sketchup and/or just 3dsMax. The latter of which; using just Max, is detailed in the following:

•      Create the model as one normally would, using 3dsMax. Texturing is no different than for any other model.
  •      Finish creating the model. All modifications to the model must be complete at this point. It's time to start the export process for Cities: Skylines!
  •      Click Render, then Render to Texture (hotkey "0"). Scroll down to "Output". select Diffuse, Specular and Normal maps. I would recommend that the maps be 1024x1024.

Follow workflow A. or B. if a step is noted as such:

• A.  Click "Unwrap only".
  • B.  If certain textures are too small in the render (e.g. a detailed sign) you can go the model's "Modifiers" tab and click "Unwrap UVW". Take note of the map channel. Set it to 2 if it isn't already. Under "Selection" (still within the "Unwrap UVW" menu) click "Polygon". Finally, click "Open UV Editor", select everything, and flatten the UV map (under "Mapping"). You are now free to move the corresponding parts of the UV map around and resize them, according to your needs.
  • B.  In the "Render to Texture" window, under "Use Existing Coordinates" select "Channel 2".
  •      Make sure your output (under "Selected Elements Common Settings") is set to .jpg and take note of where you are exporting these UV map images to.
  •      Click "Render"
  • B.  Collapse the "Unwrap UVW". Right click the modifier in the menu to the right and select "Collapse To".

•     Go to the "Utilities" tab and select "Reset Xform" then click "Reset Selected".
  •     Finally, go to "File" > "Export" > "Export Selected" (be sure your model is selected in the viewport and that it is the only model in the scene).
  •     In Windows Explorer, go to "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines\Addons\Import". Add your .fbx and those UV maps/textures you had made earlier to this folder. Rename both the .fbx and the UV files to any desired name, so long as the UV files have the exact same name (case sensitive) with the addition of _d, _s, _n etc. for their respective use as diffuse, specular and normal maps.
  • Start the game, navigate through the Asset Editor. Once you've selected a lot to create or modify, you should see your model in the list at the left. Select it and play with the orienation tools. I recommend increasing scale by 100%.
  • If the textures aren't quite to your liking, simply modify them in an image editing program and reload the game.
  • Have fun with your one-of-a-kind model made with your own tears, sweat and blood (well, hopefully none of the latter)! :P

Using Sketchup and 3dsMax.

• In an image editing program, create your diffuse, bump (normal), specular etc. maps. Make sure they register properly when overlayed. (Note that greyscale bump maps work in place of true normal maps).
  • Save your maps as the same size I would recommend 1024x1024 for most applications. Make sure they have the same extension (I use JPEG).
  • Make a new material in Sketchup using your newly created diffuse map. Be sure it is the only texture in the entire scene with the exception of the default material on backfaces.
  • Delete all groups and components. The sketchup model must be a single object.
  • Import the .skp file to 3dsMax.
  • There will likely be two groups in the scene. Click "New Scene Explorer" under "Tools" and delete the second group.
  • Select the remaining group; the model you had created. (It should appear no different after deleting the second object in the scene).
  • In the modifiers tab, select "Unwrap UVW". Right click this modifier and select "Collapse To".
  • Go to the "Utilities" tab and select "Reset Xform" then click "Reset Selected".
  • Finally, go to "File" > "Export" > "Export Selected" (be sure your model is selected in the viewport and that it is the only model in the scene).
  • In Windows Explorer, go to "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines\Addons\Import". Add your .fbx and those UV maps/textures you had made earlier to this folder. Rename both the .fbx and the UV files to any desired name, so long as the UV files have the exact same name (case sensitive) with the addition of _d, _s, _n etc. for their respective use as diffuse, specular and normal maps.
  • Start the game, navigate through the Asset Editor. Once you've selected a lot to create or modify, you should see your model in the list at the left. Select it and play with the orienation tools. I recommend increasing scale by 100%.
  • If the textures aren't quite to your liking, simply modify them in an image editing program and reload the game.
  • Have fun with your one-of-a-kind model made with your own tears, sweat and blood (well, hopefully none of the latter)! :P

Here's what I've made with this method, pictured below. It appears quite complex, but in reality, it is quite straight forward and quick to do.

The reflections here look a little funny, especially when the sign is cast in shadow. They almost look like dirt or grime. In game however, they respond really well to moving the camera around to different viewing angles. Quite lovely really; they have a nice little bit of glare/gloss to them that stills just can't do justice to!

I hope you enjoy the models and moreover, the guide to modeling. Good luck fellow CSL modders!  :thumbsup:

catty

Hi Bipin

Its times like this I regret no longer being on staff here, if I was there would be a karma point heading your way

:thumbsup:

Really appreciate the information as I have a number of .fbx models that I got from turbosquid to use in Banished, as Banished uses .fbx models as well, none of the buildings I have are suitable as I got them with Banished in mind so adding medieval buildings to CSky would just look weird not that I've had the time to do anything with them anyway, but I also got some rose-like and lavender-like bushes as I wanted to add them the Banished forests to be gathered for the herbalists to use ... there is quite a large selection over at turbosquid of various plants and trees ... so I think I'll be going back for a visit once I've bought CSky on DVD.

:)