• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Official Paradox Interactive - Cities: Skylines Discussion

Started by threestooges, March 04, 2015, 06:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Maison

I find myself going straight to modding because I never finished anything all these years for SC4. I don't have 3ds Max and never got used to gmax but use Sketchup Pro and Blender. What I really like with this game is the ease of making content for it. We can use any 3D application or pipeline that can produce an FBX file without having to download special tools. I think that's why we have so much content already in the workshop.

But I am waiting for proper terrain tools for in game use a better shader system for realistic textures and tunnel support. It's just a matter of time.

belfastsocrates

How difficult is it to make your own buildings for this game? I have no modelling experience at all, though I tend to be a good learner, I get the impression that creating your own buildings for Skylines will be easier than it was for SC4.

Can anyone enlighten me?
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

catty

Quote from: belfastsocrates on March 19, 2015, 01:05:50 PM
How difficult is it to make your own buildings for this game? I have no modelling experience at all, though I tend to be a good learner, I get the impression that creating your own buildings for Skylines will be easier than it was for SC4.

Can anyone enlighten me?

I posted a link back on page ?

Quote from: catty on March 14, 2015, 03:52:03 AM
Hi Girafe

Its .fbx file format and it looks like you can have the model anywhere before importing it into the game, I'm not a modder tho I just had a quick read of this document

http://www.skylineswiki.com/Asset_Editor

Also another link while I'm doing links, the first bugpatch has been issued

http://steamcommunity.com/app/255710/discussions/0/611701360821801977/

:)

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

TheTeaCat

I am really not sure about this, now that I've played it a bit more.

The things I like - the underneath of the game is great!! the simulator etc , the general life on the streets, the water dynamics and to be honest that's about it.

I know that things will change with modding from the community but there is so much I dislike &mmm

The cartoon look of it is just that!! yes yes I know its early days but even when SC4 came out it looked somewhat realistic.

The UI just drives me nuts!!! I do not want to be reminded to check out the new (insert whatever,building,tree etc)every 30 seconds or so, I really dislike the achievement based game and that bloody bird at the top!!

The camera interface is so annoying.

I wish there was some way to turn off the constant reminders (like having a tutorial running every time I play)(having 20+yrs playing city-building games it feels like .......)

I cannot build on slopes! as the game will build ramps even on the slightest slope.
I cannot build a self sustaining village as I HAVE TO HAVE an outside connection before I even start.

No in-game terraforming and don't talk to me about the way the trees move in the wind.

I guess if you are really into road network building geekery you'll like this but In all my days playing SC4 I can't remember building a motorway/highway system.

SO all in all I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be. Maybe the developers/community will turn this into the game we all really want but its going to have to go some to beat my love of SC4

Now some folks may think I'm whining, maybe I am but these are the things that have been driving me nuts (and I'm an official one so I know what it takes to be nuts!) and yes some people really love C:S, good for them but I think its really going to be a while till I embrace it

TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

catty

Quote from: TheTeaCat on March 19, 2015, 03:39:51 PM
... and don't talk to me about the way the trees move in the wind....

I've taken to deleting them rather than put up with the swaying   &hurl

I've also switched off the achievements and the tutorial reminders and have unlimited money, and the bird at the top can be dealt to ... sorry I'm at work or I would post how to do it.

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Jespernilsson

I have a hard time seeing terraforming ingame not being a feature. The developers say they take great influence from SC4, and as such they surely understand that terraforming is half the job!

jondor

So, after playing a bit more, I find two main things that bug me right off the bat. Not deal breakers, but areas I feel could use some improvement in order to enhance the game experience.

The first is that there doesn't seem to be any way at the moment to combine two parallel one-way roads into a single two-way road without creating an intersection. If there is and I just haven't found it, then I'll humbly retract the suggestion, but if this feature is not yet in the game, it is something I would like to see.

Secondly is the entire early game progression in general. Right out of the box, a fledgling city needs a substantial capital investment in order to reach sustainability, as well as needing services that have a lengthy startup time (such as education). On nearly every start so far, I've found myself running out of money too quickly and having to let time pass in order to build up my bank balance again with the effect that by the time high schools are available to me, my entire commercial district is complaining that there are a lack of educated workers. What follows is a tedious waiting game of oscillating neutral growth while the city's education level slowly rises enough to break the stalemate.

There are mods to combat this problem from one angle or another, but I feel like a slight tweak to the starting game balance (a slightly higher starting capital would probably do the trick) would improve the game experience without having to resort to a mod.

Apart from these issues, I'm still enjoying the game and am looking forward to checking out the deeper transportation and city management that comes with a larger population.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

mgb204

You can turn off the tutorial messages in the options menu and there is a mod to take care of Chirpy, personally I keep it there but have set it not to bother me.

I second the option to merge two roads into one more cleanly, some transition pieces in general would be very useful. I'd also like the ability to place multiple rail lines/roads at once if that was possible, it's really hard to keep the spacing between them consistent and the junctions are a bit of a faff right now to make them look nice (yearning somewhat for a grid I wanted removed, what can I say gamers are fickle). Terraforming in-game is another wish and some sort of rapids/fast moving water effects with spray and the like would make for much nicer waterfalls, I've spent a lot of the last two sessions just playing with water and seeing what it can do, the water simulation really is something special.

First patch is fine, the update for changing OWR directions was really needed, although I've noticed my computer seems to be using more CPU runtime since the patch, the fist time since building this PC I've heard some of the fans need to really work as the CPU temp hit 82 Degrees, also for the first time I can recall. This is a pretty modern i7 4700 without overclocking and usually my PC is cool and silent, has anyone else noticed this too?

catty

An Interview with Mariina Hallikainen, CEO of developer Colossal Order

http://www.pcgamer.com/cities-skylines-greenlit-after-what-happened-to-simcity/

and it seems we are getting tunnels   ()stsfd()

Mr_Maison

Quote from: jondor on March 19, 2015, 11:48:11 PM

Secondly is the entire early game progression in general. Right out of the box, a fledgling city needs a substantial capital investment in order to reach sustainability, as well as needing services that have a lengthy startup time (such as education). On nearly every start so far, I've found myself running out of money too quickly and having to let time pass in order to build up my bank balance again with the effect that by the time high schools are available to me, my entire commercial district is complaining that there are a lack of educated workers. What follows is a tedious waiting game of oscillating neutral growth while the city's education level slowly rises enough to break the stalemate.

There is a mod that gives you 500,000 at startup in the workshop. Look under mods section. Someone also made a 1,000,000 mod. I chose the 500,000 as that's what I start with in SC4. $70,000 to start a city is a joke.

itsacoaster

Today I have a Parclo Type A4 for you guys.  :thumbsup:
This one took me a good deal of time to get it working smoothly and so that cars use the ramps as intended.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410946181

Quote from: jondor on March 19, 2015, 11:48:11 PMThe first is that there doesn't seem to be any way at the moment to combine two parallel one-way roads into a single two-way road without creating an intersection. If there is and I just haven't found it, then I'll humbly retract the suggestion, but if this feature is not yet in the game, it is something I would like to see.
This drives me nuts, too!  It's not a big deal at all but it trips my road building OCD.

I had this cool downtown area that split an intersection into two one-way roads on either side, but they have separate traffic light cycles so I had to get rid of it eventually because traffic backed up too much.  I suppose that is the price you pay for the amount of flexibility you're given.

TheTeaCat

Ok manged to turn off that bleeding bird thingy! and the tutorials etc but my above points still stand.

No day/night cycle???

built a "village" today but zoned only High density! with a population of 125......  I had 3x 7story buildings, 2x 5story and one shack really???? and had to have police,health,education,power,water,garbage,cemetery and all this on 1 low density factory and two low density shops???? seriously - put all that in a starting "village" in sc4 and watch your budget!

try all that in SC4 and even if you zone for hig density it wont build till the required sims are required!
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

TJ1

Hey guys I have Cities Skylines not on my PC but on my Macbook air and I have no idea I to install mods on it, any help?

mgb204

Goto the Steam workshop and subscribe to mods and they will appear in-game and should be selectable from the "Content Manager" in the main menu, at least that's how it works on PC.

Jespernilsson

It's in my interest to bring all of you creative geniuses to C:SL and in order to do that I've made a collection of "quality of life"-mods:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411429400

I have them all in my game and on my computer they work together.

A description of all the mods:

Extended Public Transport UI - Watch individual transport lines
HideUI - Press F11 to toggle the user interface
No More Purple Pollution - No more purple ground around industry
NoPillars - Toggle collision and pillars. Build that road that the game tells you you cannot!
Slow Citizen Aging - People no longer die all at once
Terraforming Tool - Edit terrain in your town. Sunken highway? Canals? Flatten ground? YES!
Traffic Report Tool 1.2 - Where are everyone going from this stretch of road? Where is this car heading?
Tree Brush - Create lots of trees in one go. No more placing individual trees!
Zonable Pedestrian Paths - Roads only for pedestrians, fire trucks, police cars, hearses, garbage trucks. Zoneable! Cargo trucks can be enabled if wanted through the content manager in the main menu.
First-person camera - Tab to toggle. Customize in-game in the top right of the screen. Works well with toggle ui mod (F11).

Hope these help you out with your creations.

I expect some delicious CJ's in return!

dedgren

Jesper, I am simply gobsmacked...

...I always wanted to use that word in a comment...

...by the variety of mods in Cities: Skylines addressing significant game issues LESS THAN TWO WEEKS AFTER RELEASE.

The question for me is, why isn't the coding for these mods being released anywhere?  If I see a mod that will slow aging by my C:S denizens by X, what if I want to make that by Y?  The great thing about the SC4 custom content community is that, with a few hours time put into learning the basics of the Reader, you could open a mod and further mod it.  If you wanted to go further, the sky (or rather the .exe) was the limit.

I'll truly take the game seriously (I love it, no mistake, but it's kind of unrequited love right now) when there are modders on a forum sharing their work.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

vortext

Quote from: dedgren on March 21, 2015, 03:12:43 PM
The question for me is, why isn't the coding for these mods being released anywhere? f I see a mod that will slow aging by my C:S denizens by X, what if I want to make that by Y?

Most of it actually is shared on GitHub. For instance the source for the Zonable Pedetrian Paths is right here. In this specific case of Slower Aging the author chose not to share the code because:

Quotethey all contain decompiled code from the main game library, so I'm not making the code available because I'm not sure what the copyright/legal issues might be around that.
source

Besides reddit there's also a dedicated forum: Skylines Modding
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

catty

There is the modding API from the Cities: Skylines wiki

http://www.skylineswiki.com/Modding_API

And the company is looking at the mods people are making, one of them was added into the first bugfix

Jespernilsson

Quote from: dedgren on March 21, 2015, 03:12:43 PM
Jesper, I am simply gobsmacked...

...by the variety of mods in Cities: Skylines addressing significant game issues LESS THAN TWO WEEKS AFTER RELEASE.

David

Glad you like it! Now we wait for a way to get unlimited build area and for you to fire up 4RR (that's the sequel to 3RR)  ;D

dedgren

And, ohmigod!  It's in-game terraforming.

A little broken- the "level" tool drills holes to China (shades of SC4!).  But there you have it.

And I think I know what else you can do with it.  Stay tuned.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax