• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Official Paradox Interactive - Cities: Skylines Discussion

Started by threestooges, March 04, 2015, 06:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

Quote from: relics8801 on April 16, 2015, 04:35:45 AMDo you have any plan to open thread about that by the way ?

We are currently discussing the possibility of opening a sub-forum for Cities:Skyline. We decided to wait a bit more to see how far modding will go on this game and if it really turns out to be a true SC4 successor. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

relics8801

Quote from: art128 on April 17, 2015, 01:30:56 AM
We are currently discussing the possibility of opening a sub-forum for Cities:Skyline. We decided to wait a bit more to see how far modding will go on this game and if it really turns out to be a true SC4 successor. :)

Thank you reply.
I think that SC4Devotion is one of most RELIABLE SPLENDID SITE in a world.
I wish to enjoy C:SL again just like SC4 in here.
and I hope that many SC4-BATer and MODer will come back to C:SL, and show us their fantastic works again too. ;)

Regard
I helping to management a site the WBML4jp - wiki in Japan.

catty

Hi Guys

Somewhere in this topic I promised to add Cities: Skylines mods to the Catalog over at CB, it required a change in software program so mods and/or plugins could be rated.

This is the plugins from Gizmo's site

http://www.city-builders.info/catalog/9-plugins/simcity-4

ignore the CAM Tag in the first couple of records, uploading the data from the old catalog to the new program had a few teething troubles on the way, the rest of the 15000 plus entries from the old catalog should be uploaded in the next couple of weeks, clicking on a entry gives you a bit more data

http://www.city-builders.info/catalog/9-plugins/simcity-4/1-amtrak-train-props-v2-0

It does come with a description field which I may use to add in the mega pack contents.

-catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

catty

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

pxljce

Quote from: art128 on April 17, 2015, 01:30:56 AM

Judging by the amount of custom content in just a few months after launch, the amount of people playing and paradox's expansion model I'm calling "true SC4 successor" on this on. Granted I've yet to play the game (oh the monies), but I'm pretty confident on this one. Imagine SC4 if EA games had kept expanding it beyond Rush Hour... And now imagine it was somebody that actually gives a flying hoot about doing it right... Galloping whinny?

Another thing is the quality of the expansions that Colossal Order will be coming up with. With so many mods out already they are going to have to dig deep to provide decent content for expansions using a similar model as say another Paradox published game such as Europa Universalis IV. So I'm imagining serious game changing expansions (surrounded by probably mostly avoidable eye candy dlc).

This makes me happy.

My favourite mod I've seen so far is the serious road geekery allowing you to modify turning lanes and light intervals. I think it's either traffic ++ or traffic manager or both? 

Maybe I'm just excited because I haven't played it yet?  $%Grinno$%

Kitsune

The game has matured super quick - I started playing it a few days ago and the amount of content is amazing. The game itself does take some getting use too, but it really is the SC4 successor, finally after 12 years. It'll be interesting if EA is readying a SC6 now model more after sc4. By far I love the Bird's Eye View and a mod that enables First Person view, provides a whole new view on things.
~ NAM Team Member

mgb204

SC6, no way, never, not gonna happen - EA won't look at C:S sales figures and think they should try harder, if anything it would support closure of Maxis and forgetting about the whole thing.

I'm really struggling with Skylines since the 2nd Patch went and broke everything in my game. I know I used mods -gasp, in a game designed for modding no-less-, I just feel more and more like a beta tester of late. 200h of city wiped out because I installed mods to improve the game that wasn't finished, now I can't get it back no matter what I try. I finally got it loading but all I get is total abandonment of my cities population over time. The game can't have been finished, otherwise why would you need to make changes to the code that are so fundamental they break all mods in the process, this is poor once, but twice, can we expect this to continue because it's really not something well-thought out code would have needed full-stop. It also would appear changes to the RCI balance render existing regions dead since they are so off-kilter with the updated settings.

I can't bear to start again with a new city, for fear that using mods will once again lead to all my work being lost. But I don't want to play without mods either, I'm sorry but many of them are more like fixes than mods at this point. This leads to a general lack of motivation to play, even when some of the cities I'm seeing by others do give me the itch to do so.

If this wasn't a Steam game, I could re-install without the patches (I don't care if you support it or not) and at least finish-up what I was doing, before patching and starting over. Is it really too much to ask that I can play the game un-patched, just one more reason why Digital gaming is a bad idea if you ask me.

art128

Quote from: mgb204 on July 07, 2015, 10:31:16 AM
This is poor once, but twice, can we expect this to continue because it's really not something well-thought out code would have needed full-stop.

This is what happens when you leave the development of a game to a Finish peusdo-feminist with skrillex-tier hairstyle.

According to one of my friend who actively plays the game, the new patch broke everything. Now you have maximum number of assets of 250 less than before...... Way to go paradox!

I don't regret getting a steam refund of the game few months ago.

Props & Texture Catalog

Mr_Maison

There was some discussion a while back that modders should not move too fast as we all knew CO was making updates and coming out with new patches that would more than likely break things. The good news is that a lot of good modders are updating their stuff quickly. I always said we should not build too fast too quickly before they released that last patch before going on break. The dust is settling now.

mgb204

I'm not unhappy with the game, I've had my moneys worth already and I'm sure the game has a bright future. I'm just so frustrated by the stupidity of not being able to use an unpatched game. Why do Paradox/CO/Steam care if I'm patched or not, I don't expect them to support it. Just give me the option so I can finish up what I was doing rather than ditch hundreds of hours of play.

That said, most of the mods I was using have been patched and work now, it's inherent changes (the kind that sting of a lack of proper game-testing, something I've 6 years+ professional experiance with), that mean those saves are beyond sensible restoration, sigh.

Imagaine if a lego set auto-self destructed back into it's components after a month of play, this would not be acceptable, so why do people find it OK with games? I feel for the developers slightly, I know they are not a huge coorporation and it's all the more amazing they managed to produce such a fun title to begin with. But whilst I have a great respect for them, in some ways I feel the game wasn't really ready for market and that the testing is being pushed onto the community rather than being done beforehand. It doesn't help when their patches too seem to be devoid of solid testing. I know a lot of this says more about the state of the industry than any particular fault of Paradox/CO, but it still makes it really hard for me to be able to enjoy the product I paid for right now.

Mr_Maison

Quote from: mgb204 on July 11, 2015, 05:22:42 AM
I'm not unhappy with the game, I've had my moneys worth already and I'm sure the game has a bright future. I'm just so frustrated by the stupidity of not being able to use an unpatched game. Why do Paradox/CO/Steam care if I'm patched or not, I don't expect them to support it. Just give me the option so I can finish up what I was doing rather than ditch hundreds of hours of play.

That said, most of the mods I was using have been patched and work now, it's inherent changes (the kind that sting of a lack of proper game-testing, something I've 6 years+ professional experiance with), that mean those saves are beyond sensible restoration, sigh.

Imagaine if a lego set auto-self destructed back into it's components after a month of play, this would not be acceptable, so why do people find it OK with games? I feel for the developers slightly, I know they are not a huge coorporation and it's all the more amazing they managed to produce such a fun title to begin with. But whilst I have a great respect for them, in some ways I feel the game wasn't really ready for market and that the testing is being pushed onto the community rather than being done beforehand. It doesn't help when their patches too seem to be devoid of solid testing. I know a lot of this says more about the state of the industry than any particular fault of Paradox/CO, but it still makes it really hard for me to be able to enjoy the product I paid for right now.
Yeah, you're right about that. I do wish we had the option to revert back to a working version if the new one breaks our current game. That should change.

FlyHigh

Quote from: mgb204 on July 11, 2015, 05:22:42 AM
I know a lot of this says more about the state of the industry than any particular fault of Paradox/CO(...).

You've hit the nail. Companies are always running to have games out without proper though or testing. It seems to be a consequence of the internet, in fact. It happens in software in general and now the 'asap trend' it starting to jump off of the virtual world into reality. It's a consumers dream but a Normal Person's nightmare.
Is it really necessary to have a software update every week and full upgrade every 6 months? I don't believe so.
>>> Maxwell R. Black <<<

mrsmartman

Apparently, the sooner the game comes out, the sooner they can recoup the project cost.

mgb204

Quote from: mrsmartman on July 18, 2015, 09:45:17 PM
Apparently, the sooner the game comes out, the sooner they can recoup the project cost.

Really!  ::)

It's funny, because a couple hundred+ games that were finished and delivered without bugs reside in cases on a shelf to my left as I type this. Surely all those studios must have nearly gone bankrupt trying to release them in a state of quality.

How far can this releasing products in whatever state they are in when the money needs recouping should we accept?, should we apply the same business model to I dunno, the braking systems used on public transport or parachutes?

If you want to have an early-access program with users downloading betas and being a part of the process of fixing the game during development, great that's fine. Making a full release however that turns out to be a beta really isn't IMO, but then perhaps I'm just spoiled what with being used to things being done better than this?

catty

Don't care how many bugs it has, the Cities: Skylines After Dark announcement is really making me think its time for a new computer

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/06/cities-skylines-after-dark-preview/

I can't say I think much of the lighting, but finally its a day and night mode   ()stsfd()

art128

A bit lame they add the night in a damn DLC.... When you think 10 years old game had the day/night cycle.....

Props & Texture Catalog

vortext

Did you read the article Arthur? ::)

QuoteThe free update will include the day/night cycle itself, allowing you to see your cities glowing in the dark, but the extra features that take advantage of the small hours are only available to those who pay for the DLC.

So stuff like the nightclubs is DLC, night update itself is free.

On a somewhat related note I actually bought a copy of CS (i.e. on disc) a while back when it was on sale here locally. Still have to unwrap the case though.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

catty

Quote from: art128 on August 07, 2015, 12:39:18 PM
A bit lame they add the night in a damn DLC.... When you think 10 years old game had the day/night cycle.....

As vortext says the night mode is free as they consider it an essential part of the game, beaches on the other hand we have to pay for   :(

CasperVg

Honestly the nightlights look a bit dull and disappointing. Looks like the residents hung some beige semi-transparent sheets of paper on their windows. It looks okay from a distance, but up close it's not great. The same kind of goes for the whole graphic aspect of CS though. Everything looks really nice and smooth and naturally grown/engineered from distance/in zoomed out shots, but when zoomed in the lack of detail in the models really shows. That's probably the price we'll have to pay (at least for the next few years) for the full 3D aspect. The average computer today can't handle much more than that probably.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Kitsune

.. however the game is slowly heading into the right direction, and the update will add a much needed feature -cars will actually get out of the way for a siren now.
~ NAM Team Member