• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Scale in Skylines

Started by threestooges, March 24, 2015, 08:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

So I got the urge to do some research. I saw that the new squares for purchase (same size as the starting square) are 237 tiles on a side and are listed as 2 x 2 km squares.

So what then is the basic tile in dimension? Well, 2000m / 237 tiles = appx 8.4388m

Since I didn't have the time to run the research further just yet, I figured I'd throw it your all's way. How's that mesh up with the assets in the game so far?

jondor

According to the Cities:Skylines Wiki, a tile is 8mx8m, so that comes close to matching the intended scale. Most likely the 2km dimension is rounded up if the city tiles themselves are actually only 237 across instead of 250 or 256.

At that scale, the roads at least match SC4 scale, with a two lane road taking two C:S tiles (or 16m), but that does mean that a maximum size 4x4 C:S growable building has the same footprint as a 2x2 SC4 building, which seems a little bit on the small side.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Indiana Joe

The zones are definitely on the small side in the game.  Take a look at this downloadable Walmart:

That's as big as it's allowed to be.  Farms just look silly too.  Hopefully it will be addressed, I'm sure it's a common complaint.

Bipin

I don't think a lot of people are aware, but buildings can be made to overhang, so they can be any size you wish. It's of course not ideal, but an option, nonetheless.

dyoungyn

All,

I agree that when making buildings in CS, the max size is limited. I am anxiously awaiting for some genius to figure out work around as it was done with SC4 in the early years.  I firmly believe it is just a matter of time.  Cities Skylines does have a lot of promise to be close to SC4 as in realism with roads and such.  It is different but comparable. 

The one thing I love about SC4 it all the wonderful creativity that has made the game seem a little more realistic with city building only with one fault of limitation of the "grid" system.   

Again, I feel that in due time, CS will become the overall replacement as in future realism with small town, farming, and suburban sprawl with big box stores, shopping centers, gas stations and  the like. 

dyoungyn

I still play SC4 for this fact only wish Maxis created a patch to take away the grid limitations. 

dyoungyn

Glazert

It would have taken more than a 'patch' to get rid of the underlying grid. It would have required a completely program.

dyoungyn

I agree this is the ONLY complaint I have SC4 is the grid system it restricted to. 

Again, I feel firmly that CS is the early development years with more and more genius' creativity and programing ability that will make CS the full replacement for SC4.  Alone SC4 is the lead in my feeling is those individuals thinking way outside the box mentality. 

One day, it will come and we are so fortunate to become players of such strategy realism and have the opportunity to take advantage of others creativity.

dyoungyn

Apple Delight

That grid paradigm does make upgrading/redrawing roads much easier.

threestooges

Quote from: Bipin on March 25, 2015, 04:30:48 AM
I don't think a lot of people are aware, but buildings can be made to overhang, so they can be any size you wish. It's of course not ideal, but an option, nonetheless.
Now *that* is an interesting revelation. Perhaps that'll be a functional workaround to the present state of the agriculture zones. I loved what SC4 had done with the farm zones: large sweeping fields and orchards. The restriction of things to roads, and the general lot size seemed to be the killers of that, but this could provide some options for workarounds indeed. Thanks.
-Matt

j-dub

If that store below would of been built to the edges exactly, maybe a modular expansion could have been made if not overhanging, but you can't even do that since they don't have the building touch the edges of the lot. I don't know how this all works though.

dedgren

I'm just going to close my eyes for six months and check in with C:S again then.  I can do fun things with it, especially in the area of roads, but the game is 5% worthwhile and 95% potential right now.  I think the community and the developer, given some time, will sort that situation out.

In the meantime, I'm thinking that it is a timewaster.  A beautiful one, and clearly "the next big thing," but it's just not there for me yet, in that it only has a small fraction of the richness that is SC4.  Scale is just one of the major problems right now.  Six months from now my guess is that a lot of this sort of stuff will be addressed.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

TheTeaCat

David,

I think you hit the nail on the head. I've put about 100 hrs into the game and that is enough for me.
I got some mods to try to make things better but unfortunately it really hasn't worked.
I'll admit I thought it was great to start with, but I've slowly come to realise that its not for me, visually(particularly the Tilt Shift Camera) ,gameplay etc.

Personally it feels more like a traffic management game rather than a true city building game
It is as David says "5% worthwhile and 95% potential right now"

I'll be sticking with SC4 for quite a while - even with its limitations, it is a much more appealing game :thumbsup:

Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

belfastsocrates

Quote from: dedgren on March 31, 2015, 12:35:31 AM
I'm just going to close my eyes for six months and check in with C:S again then.  I can do fun things with it, especially in the area of roads, but the game is 5% worthwhile and 95% potential right now.  I think the community and the developer, given some time, will sort that situation out.

In the meantime, I'm thinking that it is a timewaster.  A beautiful one, and clearly "the next big thing," but it's just not there for me yet, in that it only has a small fraction of the richness that is SC4.  Scale is just one of the major problems right now.  Six months from now my guess is that a lot of this sort of stuff will be addressed.

David

I'm going to hold off for the minute as well as come back to it in the late summer or autumn. I want to see how our creative community mould and amend the game before spending time on it. I'm really not looking for a 'management' type of game, I want to create beautiful cities and tinker when I have the time to do so. I don't have the time to spend hours managing roads, traffic or utilities and nor do I want to.

A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

dyoungyn

All,

Dito on this front.  I agree, CS is a great game with potential but just not there yet.  I feel it has much more potential then SC2013.  I to am going to hang my hat and wait out the season for warmer weather.

dyoungyn

threestooges

Quote from: dedgren on March 31, 2015, 12:35:31 AM

David

I'd love to hear your thoughts. I've noticed a few annoying bits too, but I'd love to hear your full review on it.

Rayden

Not me, I did that with SC4 back in 2003 and lost 2 years of good things and all the growth of the community involving SC4. I'm enjoying the game quite a lot and I agree with all David said but things are going quite fast relating to mods and I'm sure the game will evolve faster than SC4 did. I wish only that there was a site like this one where we could look for reliable stuff and info for the game, instead of the crap of Steam and Reddit forums where there is a complete mess, especially on Steam where everybody uploads any shitty stuff they do.

catty

Quote from: Rayden on April 01, 2015, 11:06:28 AM
...I wish only that there was a site like this one where we could look for reliable stuff and info for the game, instead of the crap of Steam and Reddit forums where there is a complete mess, especially on Steam where everybody uploads any shitty stuff they do.

I'm not sure what I was planning on doing counts, as the people who visit CB know I'm moving all the plugins catalogue into a picture-based gallery (just click on the picture to visit the site its on), but was leaving the Cities: Skylines out of this and instead am thinking of adding some kind of program that will rate the CS mods on Steam so people can get an idea if something is worth downloading or not

... Have the Easter holidays coming up and was going to have a look at what programs where available to do something like that during them.

:)

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

wallasey

Quote from: dyoungyn on March 31, 2015, 08:29:37 AM
All,

Dito on this front.  I agree, CS is a great game with potential but just not there yet.  I feel it has much more potential then SC2013.  I to am going to hang my hat and wait out the season for warmer weather.

dyoungyn

Agreed...Sim City 4 still does it for me, albeit CS has the potential!

It depends whether people are ready to change their playing style? My regimented way of building UK inspired cities isn't really compatible, particularly with building upgrades. My inner city terraced areas would quickly upgrade in CS which is not very realistic. The "Make Historical" Tool is one thing I miss a lot!

APSMS

@wallasey, maybe you can visit their Reddit and ask for it; they might be able to include it in a patch. I can't imagine it'd be that hard seeing as district rules already exist. It's make more sense than SC2013's method of removing the existing zoning.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

catty

Quote from: APSMS on April 01, 2015, 04:51:12 PM
@wallasey, maybe you can visit their Reddit and ask for it; they might be able to include it in a patch....

Its already been suggested and the request passed on to the company, see here

http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/66263-how-to-make-historical-in-cs/#entry1557016
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.