• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

For a couple of reasons I haven't been able to spend much time on a computer over the past few days.

So I've done the next best thing.

This is a project I've been working at off and on for a while.  I calculated using a .25 km grid all the road segment distances between nodes (junctions, urban places, borders, interchanges).  Then I printed a big (9 sheet) map of the region's roads noted with the distances on a great freeware program called Posteriza! [linkie].  Then, as you can see above, I worked out in "stubby-pencil" mode all the shortest/least time distances between every named urban place over 5,000 in population.  I've taken the results in put them in one of those old-time distance charts like you'd find in a road atlas using MS Excel.

So there you have it.  The chart is 80% done.  You'll see it tonight.

Off to trial.  Later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

threestooges

Very cool. If you really want to have some fun with that, I remember something from the Nevada state map when I lived there: it was essentially a grid (triangular shaped) showing the exact same thing. It just aggregated the miles/times between the intermediary cities to show the full route totals. I'll have to see if I can find it again because that description may be a bit vague. Good luck at trial, I'm off to a torts final today.
-Matt

Pat

David that map is wicked cool just as you are!!!!! Good luck with that trial....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

kwakelaar

As I have said before and will continue saying, this map you are making is really beautiful. Maybe something not said that often about maps, useful, accurate or handy would probably be the normal adjectives to use for these kind of things. But I love maps and the handicraft that has gone into making this, makes this a beautiful map.
And to be a bit difficult, there is only one thing I miss looking at the big version and that is the elevations of the mountains and hills where there is a cross marking the summit. Putting those in will give a better idea about the real (imaginary in this case) landscape which is being mapped out.

Bishop Hawke

Looks like I am going to have to complain to AAA because I can't find 3RR in thier atlas and yours just puts thiers to shame.

Nice job David

dedgren

Well, the "chart" that was promised turned into a twofer.

Miles

and kilometers.

Man, I love Excel!  It took about two minutes to reformat the data in miles, as I had originally entered it all as kilometer segments.

What's next?  3RR ferries?  That long promised customs post?  Both?  This weekend will tell...

...although I owe Jeronij a long-delayed project, and I'm going to work on that now.

Back in a while.  Happy mind-motoring.

David

EDITCan one express "mileage" in kilometers?  "kilometerage?"  Heh! -DE
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

bakerton

Wow. That is coming from a person that reads road maps for a living. They both look great David. Looking out for more great stuff. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

Andreas

Quote from: dedgren on December 14, 2007, 04:18:11 PM
EDITCan one express "mileage" in kilometers?  "kilometerage?"  Heh! -DE[/size][/font]

What about "distance"?  ;)

BTW, it's really thoughtful that you calculate both in miles and kilometers, so the rest of the world can enjoy this as well without using a calculator all the time. :)
Andreas

Schulmanator

That's some serious calculating! You have been busy indeed.  :satisfied:
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

dedgren

Gjermund (kwakelaar), hey...

Quote...there is only one thing I miss looking at the big version and that is the elevations of the mountains and hills where there is a cross marking the summit.

Here's a 3RR Instamap™ that I can produce with a couple of mouse clicks at this point.

You can click here [linkie] for a 4,096x4,096 version, which is the same scale as the Atlas maps.  Caution- it's 1.2+ megabytes.  Remember, this is constructed from 256 actual in-game maps- one from each quad.

I have been gathering elevation data for the peaks.  As I'm sure you know, that's a long, slow slog.

The next version of this map will, I think, blow everyone away.

Later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

dragonshardz

It already blows us away. How far away are you aiming for with the next one?

thundercrack83

WOW!

A lot going on here in 3RR today! I love the graphs and the big new map, excellent work, my good friend!

The next version of this map will, I think, blow everyone away.

I am definitely going to on the lookout for this!

Take care, David!

Jmouse

Has anyone said, "...greater-than-awesome heights," lately? If not, may I do the honors -- if so, I'll second that.

Until next time...
Joan

Ryan B.

Quote from: Jmouse on December 14, 2007, 09:12:30 PM
Has anyone said, "...greater-than-awesome heights," lately? If not, may I do the honors -- if so, I'll second that.
To be quite honest, this thing's getting to be higher than Everest.   :P

Pat

Quote from: Jmouse on December 14, 2007, 09:12:30 PM

Until next time...
Joan

David Im gonna make a motion to carry on what Joan has said!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dragonshardz

dedgren

'Thought this might round out a busy day...

This has been another side burner project- determining the latitude and longitude of 3RR's natural features and urban areas.  I've been doing this for about two months a few quads at a time.

I open a 4,096x4,096 map in Paint Shop Pro and turn on the feature that gives the x and y coordinates on the image of the cursor.  Next, I (1) position the cursor over the feature, in this case Bridge Rapids, that I want to find the coordinates of.  This (2) gives me x and y values of 3375 and 644.

In a second window I have an Excel spreadsheet running.  I've created a list of the named features in each township- in this instance I'm (3) inputting the data for Bridge Rapids in Panther Township.  A conversion function I've developed (4) turns the x and y coordinates I enter into DMS (degrees, minutes, seconds) format.  There'll ultimately (5) be a tab for each of the 64 townships. 

And there you have it.

David

EDITI noticed after I posted this that I left out Black Rock Creek as one of the features in the township.  That's fixed, but you'll have to take my word for it. -DE
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Pat

David your word is law so we have no choice but to take it lol... anyways wonderful update and great explanation on how you get your stats!!!

bat

Welcome to page 116!

Nice new maps there, David! Great work!

[My second '00 post in this great project!! ()stsfd() ]

thundercrack83

Just when I thought you couldn't surprise me anymore, my friend, you go and pull of something like that! The sheer creativity, cleverness, and ingenuity that you put into all of these projects simply boggles my mind! I'd be interested to know the formula you plugged into Excel to figure that out, but if it's a trade secret, I understand!