• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

als98

How did you figure out 7.5 meters between each level?  ()what()

L0 (which is ground level-right?) to L1 (which is the first elevated level) is 7.5 meters x 3.2808 = ~24.6 feet. Doesn't this seem a little high to anyone? Most expressway bridges I've seen (at least over other expressways) don't exceed 15 feet.

Besides that, excellent work on this project.  &apls And haha- 63rd floor of the Burj Khalifa!  :D

Tarkus

Quote from: als98 on September 23, 2012, 06:03:47 PM
How did you figure out 7.5 meters between each level?  ()what()

L0 (which is ground level-right?) to L1 (which is the first elevated level) is 7.5 meters x 3.2808 = ~24.6 feet. Doesn't this seem a little high to anyone? Most expressway bridges I've seen (at least over other expressways) don't exceed 15 feet.

Because of the way the game's trimetric orthographic projection system works, heights tend to get a bit distorted, and there's a long time practice in the community of scaling up the height of structures by a factor of 1.3 to compensate.  So really, a 7.5m overpass is about 5.76m, or just shy of 19 feet.  The elevated models also have a 1m understory, so the actual "ceiling" over the underpass is 6.5m, which, at the 1.3 factor, would be 5m (16.4 ft).

-Alex

jdenm8

You have to factor in the fact that SimCity 4's camera squashes 13% of the height of any model for no good reason, so the actual height is 87% of your figure.

Also, it is designed around the tallest automata ever made which, if I remember correctly, is Swamper's Heavy Rail car transporters which top out at about 7.2 game metres.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: als98 on September 23, 2012, 06:03:47 PM

No, that's 15 feet between the top of the lower road and the bottom of the overpass. You gotta add the thickness of the overpass to get to L2.

Additionally, because of how SC4 does its 3D stuff, things in SC4 have to be about 30% higher than they should be in real-life.

Alex, where were you when I was frantically searching through Google Search for that?

Double ninja all the way across the sky. (Being ninja'd is defined as having someone else post before you.)
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

als98

Thanks Alex!

16 feet seems a little more realistic than 24...

Tarkus

Back to "embarrass myself" . . . er . . . show some more development. :D

Stabilized:

Porting that over to the 10S and friends should be no difficulty now.

-Alex

noahclem

Now that's embarassing  ::)  Great work buddy  &apls

mike3775

Wow an L30 Highway be perfect for an expressway through cities  :)

Wouldn't want to build a two large city tile on/off ramps for it though, although it would be interesting to see the commute times with L30 highways and roads 

Playing the game last night, I immediately thought of one advantage to these higher networks as well, and thats ending the dreaded "no roads under bridges" that has plagued the game since its release, since now we can have L4 networks that may come off higher land and still be able to have roads/rail underneath them now.

figui

first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

Tarkus

Thanks! :)  And now the 10S DxO overpass works.

DxO setups will be knocked out once I get the C-types working.  Then it's the OxD setups and DxD setups between two RHWs, and the basic RUL2 code (without the heavy-duty stability) will be done.

-Alex

mike3775

Swordmaster

Those transition pieces got me thinking. Will there still be L0 to L2 transitions? If so, will they still be 4 tiles long?

Cheers
Willy

io_bg

I don't see any reason for removing the good ol' L0 -> L2 transitions. Though it would be even cooler to have a longer one with the same slope as the L0 -> L1 one. &apls to Alex!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: io_bg on September 25, 2012, 12:17:10 PM
I don't see any reason for removing the good ol' L0 -> L2 transitions.

I do. It's too steep. :P  But chances are, you're gonna wanna use more L1 stuff than L2 stuff for two-level interchanging.

Depreciated? Yeah. To be removed? To be determined.
<INACTIVE>
-----

ivo_su

I think there are existing from many long time transitions L-0 to L-2. However, L-2 is 15 meters high and 100% identical to the current elevated networks.

Alex would like to congratulate you for the wonderful work you are doing and I think that after making DхD and DхO crossings on C-type you will be able to go to Alpha Build 4 - right? Otherwise, far more interesting will be boarding transitions on and off the field L-1 to L-2/3/4, L-0 to L-3/4 and so on.

GDO29Anagram

For the record, all pre-existing height transitions (though it's undetermined if they'll still be available or not) will still continue to work well after NAM 31, so long as you have the necessary legacy support: RHW Version 5.0, minus the RealHighwayMod_Core.dat file. All the stuff for the old L0-L2 height transitions (and everything else) will still be there for the old RHW pieces to reference.

At best, other height transitions such as L0-L3 and L0-L4 (and it's likely that there will be an elongated L0-L2 piece) are yet to be seen.
<INACTIVE>
-----

Swordmaster

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on September 25, 2012, 01:02:42 PM
For the record, all pre-existing height transitions (though it's undetermined if they'll still be available or not) will still continue to work well after NAM 31, so long as you have the necessary legacy support: RHW Version 5.0, minus the RealHighwayMod_Core.dat file. All the stuff for the old L0-L2 height transitions (and everything else) will still be there for the old RHW pieces to reference.

At best, other height transitions such as L0-L3 and L0-L4 (and it's likely that there will be an elongated L0-L2 piece) are yet to be seen.

Thanks for the clarification; sounds good to me. I'd figure that if you want to build a three-level stack, you might need to transition directly from L0 to L2 in some cases, and I don't think it'll look good if you need to use first a L0 -> L1 and then a L1 -> L2 piece. So that elongated piece could be crucial for sleek design.

Cheers
Willy

GDO29Anagram

Here's something to think about: Given 39 different networks (L0, L1, and L2 for RHW-2, RHW-3, MIS, RHW-4, RHW-6S, 8S, 10S, 12S, 6C, 8C and 10C, plus L3 and L4 MIS, RHW-4 and RHW-6S) and four different types of height transitions (L0-L1 and higher, L0-L2 and higher, L0-L3 and higher, and L0-L4), how many height transitions do you think will be needed in the end?
<INACTIVE>
-----

memo

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on September 25, 2012, 01:42:32 PM
Here's something to think about: Given 39 different networks (L0, L1, and L2 for RHW-2, RHW-3, MIS, RHW-4, RHW-6S, 8S, 10S, 12S, 6C, 8C and 10C, plus L3 and L4 MIS, RHW-4 and RHW-6S) and four different types of height transitions (L0-L1 and higher, L0-L2 and higher, L0-L3 and higher, and L0-L4), how many height transitions do you think will be needed in the end?

54. :P