• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

ÆRDEN ~ new streets!

Started by vortext, May 31, 2013, 11:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schulmanator

Great work on the seasonal pic You definitely have more patience than I do!!!
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

metarvo

I've never heard of varying planting times in SC4 until now (I have always been told "plant it on this date"), but it makes sense when you think about it.  In RL, plants have prime dates for planting.  Now, this works differently for SC4 plants, which are often full-grown fall varieties rather than new seeds.  The principle seems to be the same, though.  The result is quite convincing.  I look forward to more of this.

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Shroud

These seasonal gifs are awesome!

whatevermind

I've wanted to get more gently varying seasons ever since I started playing around with your tree mod, but been too lazy to figure out the optimal planting schedule.

*bookmarked*

Thank you!  :thumbsup:

vortext

Today we'll have a look at the flora and fauna throughout the year, thus trailing the Zodiac - in case you had trouble reading the font.  ;)

Click the pictures to see them full size. Also note none are manipulated in any way. Enjoy!

1.01| Due to a recent earthquake (recent in geological terms) a number of mountain streams were obstructed and consequently a mountain lake formed. You could actually see one of the gorges which ran dry if it weren't for that rain cloud. Then again, it's reminder Ærden has a moderate climate and it rains a lot.

1.02| Moving down from mountain lake, which is still unnamed since it hasn't been discovered yet, we come across this valley where fresh green foliage signals the end of winter.

1.03| A bit further down still, we catch a glimpse of new born wildlife. A sure sign spring is well under way.

1.04| Finally we reach the valley floor where dense forests give way to oak clusters, intermingled with various deciduous trees.

1.05| An early summer morning casts long shadows over the mire, which in combination with the fog makes for an interesting, albeit slightly eerie visual spectacle.

1.06| In the heart of summer we find the shorelines teeming with wildflowers and numerous birds.

1.07| Though at the end of summer and deep into the mountains we can find some wildflowers, too.

1.08| Then suddenly the days start to shorten again and rain showers seem to follow one after another.

1.09| However, given the right circumstances it can still get quite bright!

1.10| Enjoy this rare, calm and beautiful autumn evening.

1.11| What's all this then?! Yes, it'll snow from time-to-time though only on very rare occasions will snow last longer than a few hours before it melts away.

1.12| Finally we find ourselves in mid-winter again and the cycle can and will start all over next year.

That's it for now, I hope you enjoyed this little sightseeing tour! Get your hiking gear ready for next update (note to self; not to be confused with the next entry ;) ) when we'll venture into Ærden in earnest.

How about that replies banner!  $%Grinno$%

Quote from: whatevermind on June 08, 2013, 04:53:41 PM
I've wanted to get more gently varying seasons ever since I started playing around with your tree mod, but been too lazy to figure out the optimal planting schedule.

*bookmarked*

Thank you!  :thumbsup:

Glad you could take away something useful! And now that you've got it bookmarked I hope to see you around again!

Quote from: Shroud on June 08, 2013, 07:50:29 AM
These seasonal gifs are awesome!

Thanks! I like it as well!

Quote from: metarvo on June 08, 2013, 07:08:26 AM
I've never heard of varying planting times in SC4 until now (I have always been told "plant it on this date"), but it makes sense when you think about it.  In RL, plants have prime dates for planting.  Now, this works differently for SC4 plants, which are often full-grown fall varieties rather than new seeds.  The principle seems to be the same, though.  The result is quite convincing.  I look forward to more of this.

&apls

Thanks! The dates could even be extrapolated throughout the year, e.g. plant flora in February and winter will start in May and summer in August. Not sure why you would want to do that but you could!   :D

Quote from: Schulmanator on June 08, 2013, 07:01:58 AM
Great work on the seasonal pic You definitely have more patience than I do!!!
One tile at a time!  :D Thanks.

Quote from: Swordmaster on June 08, 2013, 05:49:38 AM
Ooh, mr Vortext got a fancy mouse, now now. ()stsfd()

Seriously though, I already have a hunch these won't be the last gifs we'll see (thanks for the explanation). Although, maybe make a video so you can add the sound of wind and birds? :D

Wonderful scene again. Looking forward to more. . . erm, pristine nature?

Cheers
Willy

Why yes, yes I do.  :satisfied: :D

Seriously though, it has proven to be a real life wrist saver!

Bye for now, Erik
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Gugu3

OMG this is amazing!!!impressive work &apls &apls &apls

metarvo

Wow, this is beautiful!  :thumbsup:  It makes me long for fall foliage again.

Quote from: vortext on June 15, 2013, 03:59:23 AM
plant flora in February and winter will start in May and summer in August. Not sure why you would want to do that but you could!

I figured out a reason.  You might do that (albeit it in March instead of February) if you were in the Southern Hemisphere.   $%Grinno$%
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Swordmaster

What's this, best MD update ever? &Thk/( We're all doomed!

Picture 2 for president!

Cheers
Willy

sc-4

*Watch update*

*Brain explose because of too much realism"

Call me Ludo

Simcoug

Who thought SimNature could be so much fun??  &apls

Kergelen

Beautiful nature. &apls

Links to SC4 websites

epicblunder

&apls  Those first 2 pictures are just outstanding.  Have you been playing with the weather and ground fog tuning exemplars?  I've only had very little success tweaking those.

Quote from: vortext on June 08, 2013, 03:43:08 AM
Picture by Epicblunder

;D  Haha, good times.

noahclem

Good god, what have you done with this game?!

Quote from: Swordmaster on June 15, 2013, 08:52:03 AM
What's this, best MD update ever? &Thk/( We're all doomed)

Yeah, pretty much.

I must apologize for not commenting earlier as I've harassed you to start his for some time now. I knew it would be outstanding...but this?!  Just wow  &apls &apls &apls

eldaldo

Incredible terrain.  Truly masterful.

art128

Absolutely beautiful scenery!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Uzil

Beautiful landscapes  :thumbsup:

Girafe

thinking about that 2 years ago, there were no seasons in SC4. What we missed.

Lovely work with flora & fauna  &apls &apls
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Schulmanator

Very nice! Isn't it amazing how much SC4 can do after 10 years?! :D
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

vortext

Quote from: metarvo on June 15, 2013, 06:28:42 AM
Wow, this is beautiful!  :thumbsup:  It makes me long for fall foliage again.

Quote from: vortext on June 15, 2013, 03:59:23 AM
plant flora in February and winter will start in May and summer in August. Not sure why you would want to do that but you could!

I figured out a reason.  You might do that (albeit it in March instead of February) if you were in the Southern Hemisphere.   $%Grinno$%

Thanks! And that's actually a legitimate reason which would work indeed, were it not for seasonal props (opposed to flora) on the lots causing trouble. In effect it'd make for two seasonal cycles with autumn lasting almost throughout the entire year!  :D

What's this, best MD update ever? &Thk/( We're all doomed!

Picture 2 for president!

Cheers
Willy

Thanks Willy. Though I hope it's not the best update ever because it'd implies it is all gonna go downhill henceforth! Also, I've informed Picture 2 of your support but it has declined to run this year, citing family life as more important. Note how it carefully left the door open, so who knows, maybe next election cycle. . $%Grinno$%

Quote from: sc-4 on June 15, 2013, 10:39:42 AM
*Watch update*

*Brain explose because of too much realism"

Thank you Ludo! Sorry to hear about your brain though, I hope you have recovered yet. ;)

Quote from: Simcoug on June 15, 2013, 12:28:10 PM
Who thought SimNature could be so much fun??  &apls

Thanks! I hope you're not sick of it yet, there's more to come. .  ::)

Quote from: epicblunder on June 16, 2013, 10:47:30 AM
&apls  Those first 2 pictures are just outstanding.  Have you been playing with the weather and ground fog tuning exemplars?  I've only had very little success tweaking those.

Quote from: vortext on June 08, 2013, 03:43:08 AM
Picture by Epicblunder

;D  Haha, good times.

Thanks! As for the clouds & fog, all weather effects are courtesy of Jenx's Jupiter mod, no tweaking involved. Though I do only use the 'cheatcodes' rather than the lots, maybe that makes a difference?

Quote from: noahclem on June 16, 2013, 12:11:47 PM
Good god, what have you done with this game?!

What's this, best MD update ever? &Thk/( We're all doomed)

Yeah, pretty much.

I must apologize for not commenting earlier as I've harassed you to start his for some time now. I knew it would be outstanding...but this?!  Just wow  &apls &apls &apls

Haha thanks Noah, happy now?!  :D  Actually I did surprising little tweaking this time, all the mods are directly off the shelf, so to speak.

Quote from: Girafe on June 17, 2013, 03:11:17 PM
thinking about that 2 years ago, there were no seasons in SC4. What we missed.

Lovely work with flora & fauna  &apls &apls

Thanks! Glad to see you around here because truth be told, it wouldn't have looked half as good without your trees. So thanks again! Now I've said this before but I'll say it again just so you know, it's absolutely impossible for the simcity universe to have too many species of trees. . so. . I'll leave it at that.  ;)

Quote from: Schulmanator on June 18, 2013, 04:42:31 AM
Very nice! Isn't it amazing how much SC4 can do after 10 years?! :D

Yeah, it's pretty amazing, isn't it?! Thanks!

Quote from: Gugu3 on June 15, 2013, 06:24:45 AM
OMG this is amazing!!!impressive work &apls &apls &apls
Quote from: Kergelen on June 16, 2013, 10:46:52 AM
Beautiful nature. &apls
Quote from: eldaldo on June 17, 2013, 10:40:40 AM
Incredible terrain.  Truly masterful.
Quote from: art128 on June 17, 2013, 11:05:45 AM
Absolutely beautiful scenery!
Quote from: Uzil on June 17, 2013, 11:48:58 AM
Beautiful landscapes  :thumbsup:
Thank you Gugu, Kergelen, eldaldo, Arthur and Uzil for the kind words! And thanks for stopping by too, greatly appreciated!  &apls

Right, so, it seems like I'm getting the hang of mding. Made myself a fancy replies banner and also got a few updates in the workings which even have something resembling a storyline!  $%#Ninj2

One minor annoyance is I still haven't figured out how to change the thread title. Kinda silly but I want it to include the present update title so last time I simply edited the replies form. However, it seems that didn't work like I supposed it would since all your kind comments do not say 'ÆRDEN ~ the Zodiac' in the header but only 'ÆRDEN' instead. A little help here would be appreciated.

Other than that this is actually pretty fun!

For today I went into the archives and retrieved more seasonal gifs. Willy's remark two weeks ago reminded me I have actually fooled around with gifs in the past. These were made before I started tinkering with seasonal tree controllers. In fact, one could say this was the tipping point because around the same time it started to dawn on me a realistic shoreline (i.e. with tons of cattails) throughout the region would take a long time to implement manually.

In addition I thought it'd be nice to show these today because it provides a glimpse of my previous work, which brings me to another point. Since my rediscovery of this lovely game I've meticously captured the various projects and cities that have ensued. So I was thinking maybe it'd be nice to do a retrospective entry every once in a while, detailing the progress that went along and sharing some tricks-and-tips perhaps?

Before boring you to death with my ramblings, however, I'd like to know if you would be intersted in such a thing. So if you've any thoughts on the subject or suggestions otherwise, please let it be known!

Enough with the words already, here're the gifs. Enjoy! Erik

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

woodb3kmaster

Those GIFs just get me every time, Erik! I think it's the combination of the seasonal effects and the smooth transitions that really make my jaw drop. The clean edges of the farm fields are equally impressive, and they really enhance the realism of your scenes. Kudos to you, my friend!

Re: the thread title, I've found that you actually have to edit the title of the original post, back at the top of page 1. That's what I do with each update of Nyhaven, and while it can be a bit tedious (and prone to forgetfulness), it seems to help alert readers to the presence of a new update (or so I keep telling myself :P).

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8