• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Quote from: Kitsune on September 11, 2011, 09:17:31 AM
the next rhw version should just solely focus on bridges ... it is the most badly needed feature.

We have a few laying around that are partially completed.  They likely won't be out for 5.0, mainly as there's still a fair bit of checking we need to do on them, but they will eventually make it out before much longer.  I am planning to take another look at them after 5.0 comes out.

Quote from: Kitsune on September 11, 2011, 02:21:44 PM
tarkus .... for the dd-rhw4, what bridge id did you use in the controller?

0x0000A182 for the exemplar and icon.  The repeat piece model is at 0x34430000 and the start/end and support piece model is at 0x34431000.

-Alex

Kitsune

Quote from: Tarkus on September 11, 2011, 04:06:39 PM
Quote from: Kitsune on September 11, 2011, 09:17:31 AM
the next rhw version should just solely focus on bridges ... it is the most badly needed feature.

We have a few laying around that are partially completed.  They likely won't be out for 5.0, mainly as there's still a fair bit of checking we need to do on them, but they will eventually make it out before much longer.  I am planning to take another look at them after 5.0 comes out.

Quote from: Kitsune on September 11, 2011, 02:21:44 PM
tarkus .... for the dd-rhw4, what bridge id did you use in the controller?

0x0000A182 for the exemplar and icon.  The repeat piece model is at 0x34430000 and the start/end and support piece model is at 0x34431000.

-Alex

great ty .... I'm making progress on my little conversion from light rail to heavy rail for the cable stay bridge.
~ NAM Team Member

Wiimeiser

If RHW 5.1 should be more bridge focused, then NWM 2.1 should be more focused on diagonal intersections.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

jdenm8

NWM 2.0 still has quite a few new additions in the diagonal intersections department, although some are incomplete and unsupported.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

drjumbajookiba

Will there be any new RHW4 and RHW2 Bridges For RHW 5.0?
()what()
Live Out loud For God

jdenm8

Aside from the new DDRHW-4 bridge, there are no new bridges in RHW v5.0.

Choco made quite a few before his/her hiatus and we do have some of them, but they're not going to see release with 5.0 (Though maybe between 5.0 and 5.1, who knows)

I've also worked on a MAVE-4 bridge, but it's in SKP format, not 3DS.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

drjumbajookiba

Quote from: jdenm8 on September 11, 2011, 08:15:27 PM
Aside from the new DDRHW-4 bridge, there are no new bridges in RHW v5.0.

Choco made quite a few before his/her hiatus and we do have some of them, but they're not going to see release with 5.0 (Though maybe between 5.0 and 5.1, who knows)

I've also worked on a MAVE-4 bridge, but it's in SKP format, not 3DS.

ok thanks :thumbsup:
Live Out loud For God

the7train

I noticed that the ddrhw capacity is slightly less than rhw4. Shouldn't it be more given the fact it has 4 lanes of travel, not 2?
If you have a rhw4 highway going in both directions, the capacity (assuming medium) is 20,000 in the morning and 20,000 in the evening, giving a total of 40,000, while one ddrhw (again assuming medium) will only allow for 16,000 for morning and evening combined. Am I correct here? Or should I be calculating things differently? I am essentially trying to figure out if two ddrhw bridges have a higher capacity than two rhw4 bridges going in opposite directions as I anxiously await the arrival of rhw 5.0. Thanks for your help!

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: the7train on September 13, 2011, 07:42:34 AM
I noticed that the ddrhw capacity is slightly less than rhw4. Shouldn't it be more given the fact it has 4 lanes of travel, not 2?

If you look at the numbers on the not-so-sticky post, the capacities are actually calculated for the full width, IE, one single stretch of RHW-4 under medium has 10k capacity, and 20k for two RHW-4's.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

the7train

Ok thanks GDO29Anagram. So the capacity for two rhw4 bridges (one going in each direction) is 20k per day, while the capacity for two ddrhw bridges is 32k per day correct? I appreicate your help!

Korot

Yes, but don't forget that those two DDRHW4 bridges would have 4 lanes in each direction, and thus would be an DDRHW8 in effect.

Regards,
Korot

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: the7train on September 13, 2011, 10:11:10 AM
So the capacity for two rhw4 bridges (one going in each direction) is 20k per day, while the capacity for two ddrhw bridges is 32k per day correct?

Quote from: Korot on September 13, 2011, 10:34:17 AM
Yes, but don't forget that those two DDRHW4 bridges would have 4 lanes in each direction, and thus would be an DDRHW8 in effect.

In other words, you just need one DDRHW bridge. I should also point out that if you use the High simulator, the DDRHW-4 and RHW-4 capacities are equal.

And these capacities are per tile along its full width.
<INACTIVE>
-----

the7train

Thanks for your help! I am looking for more capacity hence the two ddrhw bridges, however maybe I'll move to the high simulator with v5 as well for future growth and so the capacities are equal as GDO pointed out.

delta9

Quote from: the7train on September 13, 2011, 01:16:41 PM
Thanks for your help! I am looking for more capacity hence the two ddrhw bridges, however maybe I'll move to the high simulator with v5 as well for future growth and so the capacities are equal as GDO pointed out.
That's interesting. One going one way across the river, one going the other (except they both go two ways... but you know what I mean), with one tier as express lanes. Of course, you'd need a Tokyo-esque city for that to make logical sense, but hey.. it's SimCity :)

cmdp123789

Ok... so  maybe this is extremely stupid, BUT, I have to ask it, and since you guys are probably the best at this matter... well I'm gonna ask it.

After measuring some RL pictures I realised that there is something extremely wrong in simcity...

1 tile in simcity = 16 mts in real life... 16. something...

the thing is that a Real Life lane is 2.5 mts... so in one single tiles 6.4 lanes should fit... that way, real life recreation would be more accurate... AND, the whole look in the game too... cause you could  probably fit 12 lanes in only two tiles...

Any thoughts on this?... cause I think that rhw and nwm should consider this... I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, haven't read it yet

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: cmdp123789 on September 13, 2011, 08:07:34 PM
After measuring some RL pictures I realised that there is something extremely wrong in simcity...

1 tile in simcity = 16 mts in real life... 16. something...

the thing is that a Real Life lane is 2.5 mts... so in one single tiles 6.4 lanes should fit... that way, real life recreation would be more accurate... AND, the whole look in the game too... cause you could  probably fit 12 lanes in only two tiles...

2.5 meters is 8.2 feet, if you're native to using feet, and that's far too narrow for ANY vehicle to use safely; That's probably even narrower than the Maxis Highway, which is already underscale.

And just for the record, the NAM Team has done their homework; The lane width for RHW is about 14.4 feet, or 35/128 of a tile, or about 4.375 meters. The lane widths were all obtained from real-life measurements; One thing found from this is that the current RHW 4.1 lane widths are too wide.

EDIT: After a bit of research, the minimum lane width, at least in the US, is 12 feet, or 3.7 meters. 2.5 meters would probably condemn the highway.
<INACTIVE>
-----

Tarkus

We're not going to be making an RHW-12S that fits on 2 tiles.  The NMAVE-4 in the next NWM release is already pushing it with 4 lanes on a tile (which, because of the narrow sidewalk, are sub-4m).  Most US road engineering standards mandate at least 10ft. lanes on side streets with 20-25mph design speeds.  (A Maxis Highway, by this standard, would actually have a design speed of about 10-15mph.)

-Alex

MandelSoft

Here in the Netherlands there are lanes with only a 2.5m width, but these are only the innermost lanes. On these lanes you have a 2m vehicle width destriction, so a lot of cars and at least vans can't drive there. It's not a particulary good design, but sometimes you don't simply have the room. Regular lanes are 3.5-4m wide.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

j-dub

Old US 66, where the original pavement is intact, is extremely narrow, 8.0 feet each lane, the white line touches the end of the pavement, no shoulder. Cars were bigger back then, and I could not imagine driving on it when semis had to use it constantly. So they later built RHW-4 out side the small towns, but even that is no more, the pavement is abandoned over growing with weeds, and its awkward knowing the money that was spent, the trouble they went thru to replace it with that nation wide, skipping the small towns with four lanes of highway, only again for most of that too, to later be no more. I never have seen a highway get de-converted from 4 lanes back to 2 like 66.

When I was down by this wind farm, I saw less of the pavement, and even more wild life growing thru the cracks.

ivo_su

An interesting fact is that the minimum width of the lane in Bulgaria was 2,75 m. This means that the width of about 3 to 3.5 meters is perfectly normal and reasonable for a band. Narrow sidewalks can be 1 to 1.5 m size
The picture shows j-dub shocked me. I thought that only in Bulgaria, so we have bad roads, but now I am a little calmer. Do not worry guys I've seen places where the asphalt was laid more than 50 years and to this day not a single repair. Imagine how a tree grows in the middle of an asphalt road and this for decades.

Your friend,
- Ivo