• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Side Project - rerendering Mattb325 BSC BAT Props Vol01

Started by mattb325, October 22, 2011, 07:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lach77

Great work on the BATs Matt - But oh man having to destroy and rebuild every building? Some of my cities are almost entirely made from your terrace BATs haha :D

Ah well I'm sure the end result will be well worth it - looking forward to the release, it's nice to see some of the terraces scaled down a bit

mattb325

Thanks guys - @ Lach77, the terraces in this pack (Little Riley St, Forbes St and City Rd) aren't frequent growers at all as their occupant numbers are very out-of-date. I hope that by re-assigning these numbers,recreating the lots afresh which of course forces the user to demolish old ones, they will actually grow more frequently....well that's the theory  ;)

However, once I update the pack, I will release the new lots ASAP.

Next up, the low wealth cascade has had a makeover: it also has a custom foundation (not shown)

jmyers2043

Quote from: mattb325 on March 12, 2012, 12:59:26 AM
it also has a custom foundation (not shown)

Yah Hoo! Thank you for the foundation.

- Jim
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

vortext

Thanks for your explanation, too bad it isn't going to happen. The BATs look even better than before, can't wait to see them ingame  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Jack_wilds

I like what I'm seeing... looks promising all around... anticipate good things to be found on the LEX soonish  :thumbsup:

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Lach77

Quote from: mattb325 on March 12, 2012, 12:59:26 AM
Thanks guys - @ Lach77, the terraces in this pack (Little Riley St, Forbes St and City Rd) aren't frequent growers at all as their occupant numbers are very out-of-date. I hope that by re-assigning these numbers,recreating the lots afresh which of course forces the user to demolish old ones, they will actually grow more frequently....well that's the theory  ;)

However, once I update the pack, I will release the new lots ASAP.

Next up, the low wealth cascade has had a makeover: it also has a custom foundation (not shown)

Ok, thanks for the explanation - your right I don't have as many of the Riley St terraces and the City road ones are very rare - Most of mine are the boom style terraces.

mattb325

Thanks everyone....a very quick and dirty test lot for proof of concept for a house and garage with custom foundation

jmyers2043

Hey Matt

Quote from: mattb325 on March 15, 2012, 01:00:56 AM
a very quick and dirty test lot for proof of concept

I never noticed, until now, the concrete breezeway between the home and garage. You'll have to learn how to make base and overlay textures.  :D  that is, if you enjoy working pixel by pixel in a paint program.

Where did you get the starting roof texture.?

-Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mattb325

Thanks Jim

The roof texture is the one that came with the BAT. The texture in its original form isn't actually tileable, but I made it into a tileable texture and sized it to 1024x1024. I then gave it many different colours/gradients etc. It is non-descript enough to be anything: shingles, ashpalt, slate, terracotta, it really depends on the colour and treatment.

Other quick foundation tests

So you get the general idea...I will finish rendering the pack.... :-\

Jack_wilds

mattb325

Thanks Jack  :)

The first of the actual (rather than test) residential lots...this is Northcote St, which except very briefly on Pegs, was never actually released the first time around.

This is the building:

This was the original lot and building as shown years ago on PEGs site:

And this is what a re-render, re-texture, re-scale, custom foundation and new lot work will do: shown here as 45 degree corner on a 2x3 and 2x2 lot as well as ortho on a 2x3 and 2x2 lot. Also shown are the custom foundations for both buildings, they will work up to a slope of about 6m.

mattb325

Edith St - also only previously released very briefly with the PCG over at PEGs back in 2007 goes from this:

......taking up 2/3 of a 3 tile deep block ::)

To this:

It's still a substantial single story house, but at least now can fit onto a 2x2 block with room to spare...it is slope tolerant to about 5m.

mattb325

Well, in seven years it surely is a first to have to triple post, even if it has been only a day since the last post.

Below are the changes to the Charmed house and lot. The original is over on Simtrop and here is the pic from the STEX as a reminder:

Apart from the changes to the model itself during the re-render this has been given quite a complex custom foundation with curved walls for a bit of visual variety. It will cope with a slope of up to 6m

Next are the Belmont Rd houses. These were also released on Simtrop in '06. Here is the old picture:

Again, these houses take a large portion of the 2x3 lots. The colours are also completely saturated. Despite this, they have been downloaded tens of thousands of times.

The re-render, and new custom foundations and lot work produce this:

Shown above are the corner rotations on 45 degrees (2x2, 2x3 and 3x2) and the ortho variations on 2x2 and 2x3 lots. These ortho buildings are part of a family.

I've deliberately kept the foundations tight and tucked the stairs along the side of the building...that way these are able to fit onto a 2x1 lot which is pretty useful on hilly terrain.

That certainly would not have been possible with the old model.

Now as it so happens a third of the posts within this subsection are my own: don't get me wrong, I'm not upset - I view it as probably more indicative of the level of community interest.

However, I can't say that stats like these are even remotely inspirational to continue with the project....I certainly hope the next post after this isn't my own.

toxicpiano

I've been watching this thread for a while now (pretty much since it was started), and I'm genuinely looking forward to the results of this project of yours, and what has been shown so far is of course the same high quality that you have always given the community. The foundations are great, and in all my years watching this community (going back to about 2005 now) I don't recall a single person doing this. I could be wrong, it's been a long time  :D
Please don't be disheartened by the lack of comments :)
I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

jmdude1

i couldnt agree more. what youre doing is really great. i hope you stick with it and im positive, once completed, the comments of gratitude and awesomeness will come naturally, as they do (and should) with your other great works.

after seeing these remakes im thinking i should be making more suburb communties in the future.

Lach77

Yeah excellent work as always. This thread I started some time back shows first hand how much your BATS have inspired various people including myself to create amazing cities.
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=12846.msg416173#new

One thing with the Belmont Rd BAT are you trying to produce a darker weatherboard or brick appearance then the original BAT? The original models looked more like brick that was rendered and painted over. In my opinion for Australian bungalows both are acceptable.

For instance http://federation-house.wikispaces.com/Federation+Queen+Anne+style

Now the brickwork in these houses is quite dark but areas including the bay windows, timber columns, verandahs etc tend to be painted with bright cream/white colours. This produces an excellent contrast with the brickwork. I know what you mean about the old models being colour saturated but that also gave them a sense of energy. So I don't think you need to make them too dark - or increasing the contrast a bit wouldn't hurt.

But anyway I'm looking forward to seeing more BATs

ScottFTL

Wow! It's really amazing to see how you can improve these older models. They were great before, but now they are even better.

And these unreleased BATs are like a fantastic bonus! I'm really looking forward to these.   :thumbsup:

vortext

Quote from: mattb325 on March 21, 2012, 01:35:39 AM
Well, in seven years it surely is a first to have to triple post, even if it has been only a day since the last post.

Well, there's your problem mister, we simply can't keep up.  ;D Or more likely been lurking too much, I know I do . . ::)

Rest assured though your effort has not gone unnoticed and frankly I'm a bit impatient to get my hands on them, please continue! I especially like the custom foundations, wish to see more BATters would go that extra mile.

On a side note, I don't recognize this red tree. Is it yours? 

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana