• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Terrashire-A Pacific Coast CJ

Started by StegSC, March 10, 2007, 11:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StegSC

THIS CJ IS NOW CLOSED, PLEASE MOVE IT TO THE CLOSED CJ FORUM, THANK YOU
Expect a new one very shortly!

Welcome to my Newest CJ, Terrashire! It takes place in a made-up archipelago/peninsula region near Southwest
Canada. The city has already become a large metropolis, but I will document it's further expansion.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE 1 - HISTORY AND GEOGRAPHY
     The humble beginnings of Terrashire are in 1678, when it was founded by the Dutch, who had made a land venture across the whole of Canada and found it to be a fertile environment. They founded New Rotterdam on the current site of Terrashire city, and it became a thriving port town over the next 30 years.

Indications of Dutch influence abound in the city, such as this Dutch Cathedral in West Terrashire

It was not long, however, before the English landed in the region as well. Not only did they found their own town south of New Rotterdam, which they named Willcox, but they made a port as well to rival that of the Dutch. After many years of economic battle, the English finally prevailed, due to a greater amount of English traffic going through the area. So, in 1713, the Dutch allowed the English to buy their land and usurp their already thriving town. Thus, Terrashire was born.

Here is Willcox Bastion, which was one of the first structures built by the English in the region.

Under the British rule, Terrashire bloomed into a metropolis over the next century. By the late 1800s, most of the people living in the area were immigrants from America and China, who helped revolutionize the country and contribute to it's thriving economy. When Canada pleaded with the English government for Independance in the late 1800s, Terrashire did the same. They were both granted their independance, and another wave of immigration and modernization began.

Here is an extremely early photograph, showing a steamship entering Port Terrashire, which had grown significantly.

Now begins the Geography portion of the update. Terrashire had a slightly warmer climate than it's surroundings, reminiscent of Northern California as opposed to Canada or Washington state. However it still retains many qualities of the Northwest.

An early morning shot of a mountainside-Terrashire is very mountainous, as you can see.

There is an incredibly diverse amount of flora in the area. Ranging from Redwoods to palm trees, it is truly a diverse nation.

Another morning shot, this one of a dense forest, with a flowery meadow in the corner.

An untamed beach shot, with Palm trees!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

So ends the first update, I hope you all liked it. The next update will be huge and it will show Downtown Terrashire City in it's entirety. Here is a teaser picture:

Please write some comments :)
Find my old CJs at Simtropolis-Link To Profile at ST

kekus74

Good start !

The 5th screen is great ! Good job !  :)
MaRc-AnToInE

kwakelaar

Nice presentation of your starting MD, also some good images both urban and natural.

thundercrack83

Terrashire looks great so far! I love the history and background, and I can't wait to see more of the city! Also, the banner graphic at the top looks very good, too. Keep up the good work!

Fred_Ginger

Hi StegSC, looks like you've got yourself a great start going here, keep up the good work! :thumbsup:
My name is Vicki
Fred and Ginger were my doggies
RIP my babies

StegSC

Thanks for your comments, you guys are awesome!

Also thanks for commenting on the banner graphic, I might it myself in Adobe Flash 8 :)

Here's another Downtown teaser pic to keep you guys interested.

kimcar

&apls Great start . I like the pic with the boat . can`t wait for the update.

StegSC

Thanks for all your kinds words.
     I'll admit it, I have nothing better to do at this point than follow up my update. Already, you ask? Well I already had the
city made, obviously, and I wanted to follow up my crappy first update (yes, I admit it's crap) with this new one, which
I think you'll find is much better. I also experimented with more photoshop tools in the last two pictures and had
interesting results.
UPDATE 2-TERRASHIRE CITY DOWNTOWN
     The city had grown from a small port into a massive global city. It's location had made it very prosperous, cashing in
on it's close proximity to America, Canada, and also it's accessability by Asian countries like China and Japan. It is also a
very refined and classy city, despite it's flashy, ostentatious appearence.

Here is a full view of the downtown core of Terrashire City.

...And the same city at night. It seems to take on a whole new identy, no?

The centerpiece of the whole city (which is arguable, but it is an incredibly unique building) is the Millenia Tower, which
was built several years ago, mainly by Chinese and Japanese architects and planners. In the background is the first
skyscaper in the city. The faux tower. Even farther beyond is the Whitewash arena, which holds many sporting events.

Here is a second view of the Millenia tower at night, with several other prominent buildings in the foreground.

One of the most recognized aspects of the city is the Wharf Point Amusement Park, largest in the region. Here are a
few pictures of the park:

The city's beachfront, although small, is quite important to commerce and it's real estate value is milked for all it's worth,
as you can see from the office buildings that crowd around it.

Here is the city's portion of T1, the only current national highway system. Thousands of people commute through the
highway system.

However, even the highway can't compare to the rail system, which serves over 14,000 people commuting to this tile
alone. The entire nation was built on the back of the railroad (plus I like making massive rail systems, ha!)

Here is the central buisness district, more or less. All the skyscrapers are user created, because I blocked all the CO$$$
Maxis buildings.

Enough of these boring day shots, now it's time for some night shots!!!

^This is my favorite one, I love it!

These last two pictures were made with extra care, I used photoshop tools to create various effects. These will be
scattered about my updates from now on, hope you like!

So ends my second update, I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed making it (the city and the update,
that is!) Please leave a comment, as you know these updates are not always easy to make.

The next update will showcase the massive port of the city, and it will also be a huge update. I have no teaser pic at
the moment, but expect one eventually.

thundercrack83

Another update so quickly?!!? You're working pretty fast! But it's a good one, though. The downtown looks very good. I love the skyscrapers and the amusement park. It al looks great. I'll be waiting to see the next update with port. Keep up the good work!

threestooges

A very good start. Great background history (with hopefully more to come...it's that good). In addition to all of the fine pics oyu've showcased, the last one in particular caught my eye. I like the blurring of the lights on the road. Little details like that are the icing on an already good cake (please tell us though which ones have been touched up... it's nice to know, and even better when the work that went into it is seen).

StegSC

Quote from: threestooges on March 10, 2007, 10:05:44 PM
A very good start. Great background history (with hopefully more to come...it's that good). In addition to all of the fine pics oyu've showcased, the last one in particular caught my eye. I like the blurring of the lights on the road. Little details like that are the icing on an already good cake (please tell us though which ones have been touched up... it's nice to know, and even better when the work that went into it is seen).

The last two in my last update were the ones I touched up. With the first one I edited the lights on the ferris wheel and made them glow, and in the second one I added those streaking lights and improved the neon on the buildings as well.
I'm glad you're interested too, it means a lot, thanks!

Thank you too Thundercrack83! It's always nice to get comments.

dedgren

I'm catching this late, Steg- I'll check things out in the a.m. and add to this post.

Looks good so far, though, from just flippin' through it.

Good luck!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

bat

Fantastic pictures! Great amusement park! Wonderful downtown! :thumbsup:

emilin

This IS interesting. Very nice building, and choice of downtown BAT:s. Also, nice and very subtle picture editing - that enhances the pics but doesn't disturb the experience. :thumbsup:

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

StegSC

By the way, here's a regional map of the developed area.

I'll add be expanding the city after I get done overviewing, so those big open tiles will be gone soon.

Thanks a lot for your great comments! Expect the next update tomorrow.

thundercrack83

That's a great region shot! I can't wait to see more of the up-close development!

EDGE4194

It's looking good so far. I especially love the night pics. Looking forward to more.  :thumbsup:

Fred_Ginger

I have to "Ditto" what Edge said, I do like those night shots.  The skyscrapers and the rides, just yummy!  looks like a great region to grow!  looking forward to more.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
My name is Vicki
Fred and Ginger were my doggies
RIP my babies

StegSC

Sorry guys, but I'm done with this region. I know it's been pathetically short, but I've already began on a new Region (and CJ) and It'll be bigger, better, and far, far longer, I promise. Sorry to everyone who liked this CJ though! If you liked this, I'm sure you'll like my new one, don't forget to check it out when I release it!