• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dexter

These look really great  :thumbsup:!  I was wondering if there has been any plans for a "Y" piece for ordanary rail?  It's one I always seem to need that isn't present at the moment.
Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

threestooges

It's pictures like those David that are giving me great thoughts about large railyards. I've seen attempts with DTR, but I think this will be the first time (outside of some lots that I've seen) we will have some excellent possibilities. That parallel transition piece looks like a useful one. Back-to-back FARR pieces can approximate it, but that looks like it'd do it in a cleaner package. Makes me start to envision areas like some of these areas that Rick showed.
-Matt

CaptCity

Glad to see the 3RR thread come "alive" with new excitement. Looking forward to all the new TTR "goodies"...

dedgren

Well, I'm glad nobody caught me out on how switches actually work...

Can you spell "derailment?"  I guess I haven't had the old HO set out in too long.

I'll fix these before you wind up with them- I wonder if there are any old DTR puzzle pieces out there like that?

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

metarvo

I guess the heat I've been dealing with down here has worked its way north into 3RR and made the tracks buckle.  $%Grinno$% ()stsfd()
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

dedgren

Heh!  Dexter, were you looking for a DTR wye?

That's probably it for today.  Lots of (again, unexpected) progress.  These are just fun to do.

We're going to hit 800,000 page views at 3RR around the end of the first week of September.  Thanks for keeping the light on for me when I wasn't around!

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Shadow Assassin

These are happening faster than I'd thought.  Oh, and digging through the past work I found this.

Is there still any interest in it?  It might be fairly easy to translate over to TTR, as well.

Oh, please do! You've got no idea how many times I've wanted a piece like that but can't because it doesn't exist :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

MandelSoft

^^ I second that! Looking for these so long!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

noahclem

^^ Third!! I've also wanted that forever. That DTR wye will be very useful as well and it's really nice to see more TTR progress. You've been quite prolific lately!  &apls

io_bg

^ Forth :D The Y piece will be useful, too :thumbsup:
It's great to see progress on the RAM again :)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

FrankU

Sixth! Yes please! Sir!

Gringamuyloca

;D So good to see this thread buzzing with creativity and appreciation.  :thumbsup:
Tamara

dedgren

As I've been favoring the RL side (Alaska Supreme Court brief due on the 6th) the past few days and have been a bit under the weather (don't ask), I'll post a bit of what I had to say on the RAM Team's private thread on Monday:

QuoteI see TTR and above as basically main trunk rail lines.  There aren't 90 degree curves on these lines, except maybe in the mountains.  The "game" radius curves are laughably unrealistic.  I would guess most of the flatland curves would be an ortho or diag transition to a FAR-18 stretch.  Unless there's significant demand, I won't do anything higher than ortho to diag.  It would be great if an automatic transition from a game curve or switch was the default,

For a good example of what I'm taking about, here's the old DTR crossover applied to TTR.

That's railyard kind of stuff, not what you'd find on a main line.  Here's a better, but not final effort.

That wouldn't bounce all those passengers out of the nearest window, I don't think.

The smoother crossover is kinda sorta the equivalent of an HD texture.  It's drawn at 512x512 pixels, then reduced to 128x128 for use in the game.  I'm playing with thinner rails, and give you a peek at that tomorrow.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

noahclem

Supreme Court briefing, huh?! Wow, impressive to see that despite that and being under the weather you find the time to contribute around here  :)   And of course good luck in court!

Glad to here discussion is running along the lines of realistic curvature for rails and the newer, smoothed out switching piece looks very nice. My current preference for rail curves is to approximate more gradual turns going orth-FA-diag, or better yet orth-FA(~30 degrees)-diag. Unfortunately I've noticed that going orth-FA-FA(~30)-diag doesn't really look smooth.

On the topic of being realistic--are there any plans on 7.5m or 8m rail viaducts? I guess 8m would make the most sense since the current rail viaducts are .5m higher than the road and RHW ones. Just a little dream I've had...   ::)

io_bg

Nice improvement, makes it even more realistic. Looking forward to seeing what else you've in store for us David!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

bakerton

To sum up all the words I can think of, I could say this: It looks great David. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

Tomas Neto

Wow David, really awesome work!!!   &apls

CrossSide

Yes! Can't wait to see this in action! Always missed this piece of rail and the more rail development, the better! Good work  &apls

apeguy

Awesome! I can't wait for TTR and the new puzzle pieces to be released. ;D ;D

EDIT: Congrats, Alex, for being the first Double "0" Club member of our second set of 10,000 comments- that makes you the 101st overall. -de

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy