• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

We headed back into Alaska,

where we crossed the White Pass and headed into Skagway.  The road down from the summit is pretty spectacular.

That little bridge...

...isn't so little.

Skagway's a tourist destination

thanks to Princess Tours and Holland America.

It sits at the head of the Lynn Canal, a fjord-like arm of the Pacific Ocean.  It is historically important for being the jumping off point for the Chilkoot Trail- a 33 mile/55 kilometer hike from H-ll that was the start point, once here, of the long journey to the gold fields of the Klondike region.  It is also worthy of note for being the southern terminus of the Yukon and White Pass Railroad, a narrow gauge line between Skagway and Whitehorse, Yukon, that eliminated the requirement to use the trail.  It was completed, of course, just as the gold rush ended.

Today it operates from Skagway as a tourist line.  I had a great deal of fun looking around for rail ideas and details , abeit in the rain.

Noted 3RR artist Edgreschetti did that one.

We also enjoyed watching a glass-blowing demonstration at Jewell Gardens, the one tourist attraction in town not to miss.

The problem with Skagway is the usual one when you sell your village's soul over to tourism.

For a few days, though, it's a great place to stop and watch the world go by.

I'm working on a project for Antoine (Girafe) that I should wrap up tonight or tomorrow as we camp along the way back home.  I doubt I'll have Internet access from where we'll be the next two nights, but that just gives me a bit of time to get some more things done.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Girafe

Superb photos  :) and what a nice part of USA

thank you for spending time with my project  ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

ldvger

David-

Great to see you back, love the pics.  But, in the first set, the pic of the border crossing building shows the flag at half mast.  Why is that? 

Lora/LD

wes.janson

Love the picture of Dawson City David. I recall many a night up there watching the northern lights during my early 20's trips up to the Yukon. Some of the prettiest country in all of Canada (Though I recently fell in love with Montreal over the weekend)

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

Gaston

Hey David,
    Thanks for takin us all on your trip with ya.    Very kool indeed, my friend.    I missed seein ya'll around.    ;D  Glad ya'll are back my friend.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

travismking

Alaska really is pretty beautiful, doesnt resemble most of the US at all... Not the urban/suburban hell I'm used to. I'm going to have to visit there sometime. Ive been to Scandinavian countries and seen the landscape there, and these pictures remind me a little of that trip :)

dedgren

We pulled in just before midnight this morning.  While on the road, I had a flash of insight.

It hit me while shopping for dinner in a Whitehorse grocery.

...cue the beautiful assistant...

The US-size pack is the one on the left.  Sheesh!

Some 3RR stuff in a bit.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Ryan B.

Glad to hear you're back home safe, David.  Looks like y'all had a great time!

earlbeach

The package on the right looks like a four pack of heart attacks.

BourneID

you really shouldnt feel bad that our meat is bigger   :D

Smile Y'all

cubby420

Quote from: BourneID on September 11, 2010, 08:37:08 PM
you really shouldnt feel bad that our meat is bigger   :D

I'm so glad someone went there!  :satisfied:

The bird's insightful opinion on Canada made me fall over laughing  :D

catty

Happy Birthday David, hope its the best for you and your family   &dance
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

RickD

Happy birthday! Have a wonderful day and fabulous year.  :)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Jmouse

Hope you have a very happy birthday, David.

Joan

canyonjumper

Happy Birthday David! Hope you have a great day!

Your friend, 
                             Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

mayorfabz

Best happy birthday wishes to you, David. I hope you enjoyed your stay in Canada, regardless of our sausages.
Fabien

mightygoose

NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Ryan B.

Quote from: mightygoose on September 20, 2010, 08:50:44 AM
honk.

Quote from: Rick JeanneretIf you're out & about, give a honk for the Goose!

Happy belated birthday, David!  Hope you enjoyed your day!

Lowkee33

Quote from: dedgren on May 16, 2010, 11:43:27 AMPloppable seasonal tree teaser.

Good morning.  Just looking through 3RR and am enjoying the details.  For those seasonable trees, is that one terrain mod that changes or perhaps four?

I was playing around with the Weather exemplar so that seasons are possible.  I was then testing a terrain mod on some maxis regions.  The trees were of particular interest.  After the first month of game time I noticed that about 80% of the maxis trees disappear.  I am sure this has to do with the moisture levels.  Has anyone looked into making custom trees grow by themselves?

j-dub

@Lowkee33:
What do you mean by Maxis trees? Do you mean replacements, or more advanced modding? I never heard of moisture levels, just seasons. I don't have links, but I thought I had previously used stuff by Simgoober, SFBT, Cycledogg, and even from this here 3RR. At least, any trees in my game, the ones along roads and streets have their leaves change through out the seasons, and then die where the leaves are off the trees, and their all sharp, but don't vanish as far as I know, then through the vernal equinox I have spring green trees again through out the summer until autumn repeats again.

I think David may have better explanation for the tree and moisture thing, I better get his attention:
http://www.youtube.com/v/L3RGozNXfDo
(filmed in the USA)

BTW, since I missed the train, happy late b-day David.