• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

Wow!  I go away for a bit and come back and find I've missed a really great discussion.

I've noted the questions and will get back to them tomorrow, but let me in the meantime just post some "quick and dirty" pics of South Cold - NE so that you can compare the actual terrain with the topo.  I'll add a few words here and there.

Here you go...

Here's the freeway curve Shadow noted.

EDITA palm slaps forehead moment...  S_A didn't say anything about freeway curves at all.  I must be projecting my dislike for them on to others.  He's referring, of course, to the 90 degree turn on R-4 just to the east of Thunder Bay Regional Park.  That was actually intentional, as I figured Dustin would use that area as his village center, so there probably would be a crossroads or "T" intersection.  Sorry. -DE

I agree, the "game" curves just suck.  That's, btb, Purley Ridge along the bottom of the pic.

A little to the east.  Note the Short Line's grade through the cut at the left center of the pic.

I'm really hoping that the RHW and all the associated projects that Alex (Tarkus) and those great folks are working on changes the face of the freeway system.

Heres a bit to the west.  Hawksnest Hill, which rises almost 160 feet/50 meters above the prairie to the southwest, is in the center of the pic.  Note again the trace of the old grade at the base of the hill next to Thunder Bay.

EDITThe 90 degree turn on R-4 I referred to earlier is at the top right of the pic. -DE

Moving to the far west of the quad, here's lower Little Cold Lake Creek and the gorge, along with the R-4 bridge.  Moore's Pond is the small water body on the extreme right edge of the pic and Lowes Hills are at the bottom.

Here's more of the increasingly clunky-looking "game" freeway pieces, along with some better stuff from the NAM, at the F-17/F-60 interchange.  Freeway planners take note- you can't, with the current pieces available, make a half-diamond interchange between F-60, a ground freeway, and R-34, which is why I gritted my teeth and used a whole one.

Here's tiny Crump's Creek and the R-4 bridge over it.

Here's a closer in shot showing good detail on the wide curves at the east end of the bridge.  I'm pretty much done with much better textures for all the wide curves, but just haven't had time to redo the puzzle pieces.

Finally, here's a wide shot of much of the area Dustin (thundercrack83) will have to work with.  I like it- I hope he will, too.

Be sure to check out the Gazetteer [linkie].  It grows pretty much every day.

You never know what new thing you might find.

The reason I was walking by the 'puter in the first place was to put on some music while cleaning house.

This, if possible, sounds even fresher and edgier than it did in the late 70s.  I'm a Joe Jackson fan!

Later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Pat

LoL Joe Jackson you know what scary David is my fire chief loves Joe and he has played a tape version on our way to a call one night and it was funnie jamming to the tunes and sirens an lights going and all this in the tanker we where in... ooh btw it was a mutul aid call and we went 20 miles there lol...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

Finally, here's a wide shot of much of the area Dustin (thundercrack83) will have to work with.  I like it- I hope he will, too.

He does!

Tarkus

Hi David-

Wow . . . I've missed out on quite a bit of really cool stuff here.  I just love staring at all these maps. 

Dustin's quad looks very, very nice, and you've put our curve pieces to very good use.   :thumbsup:

Quote from: dedgren on August 05, 2007, 10:20:04 PM

I'm really hoping that the RHW and all the associated projects that Alex (Tarkus) and those great folks are working on changes the face of the freeway system.

We're making excellent progress as of late.  ;)

And I have to concur with you about Joe Jackson.  He was doing some interesting stuff--I may need to check his music out a little more here soon.

-Alex

HabLeUrG

excellent work David as usual ;)

emilin

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on August 05, 2007, 07:33:25 PM
But there's something a little odd with your elevation markers - how come some perfectly flat areas say 250m and other not-so-flat areas say like 350m?

Just a guess, but maybe David forgot to calculate the SC4 sea level at 250 meters? In that case the elevation markers make much more sense when looking at the topo maps, in any case...

Edit: nobody likes a besserwisser, so of course I also have to add that those maps are of outstanding quality. &apls

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

BigSlark

David,

I really, really like your maps. I liked them before, but they've grown on me in a whole new way.

Cheers,
Kevin

bat

Wonderful work, David! Great pictures! :thumbsup:

dedgren

Oh, I get it...

QuoteBut there's something a little odd with your elevation markers - how come some perfectly flat areas say 250m and other not-so-flat areas say like 350m?

For the longest time last night, Shadow, I had no idea what you meant.  I thought, "Well, of course they do."  Then I looked again to see where I'd screwed up.

The answer to your question, not to belabor the point, is that the local water table (i.e.- "game" water level) in 3RR is 820 feet/250 meters above mean sea level.  Hence, in the Little Cold NE quad, Cold Lake's surface is shown as "250m."

Remember, we're upstream of Lake Superior, the surface of which is 600 feet/183 meters above sea level [linkie].  So, for 3RR, the "game" water level is only relative to planetary sea level, and not the same thing.  All of our elevations, though, as is customary in the carto world, are also relative to sea level, hence the figures you see in the topos.

Make sense?

I'm working on the topo for Alex's (Tarkus) quad now.  He has two northern suburbs of Pineshore, Stewart and Haypoint, and the older city of Grand Valley east of the Grand River.  The top half of his quad is former farmland rapidly turning into suburbia.

Here's the R-14 Grand River Bridge over the east (navigation) channel around Forked Tree Island.  Alex will have fun completing those abutments and approaches, I'm sure.

Once the area is built out, it is hard to imagine the traffic bottleneck that two lane bridge, however majestic, will create.

Finally, here's F-11, the Grand River Valley Freeway, slicing through the heart of Stewart on its way north up the valley to Aurora.  It's a "Texas-style" urban freeway, with one-way collectors on each side.

Freeway ROWs in 3RR, btw, are 300 feet/90 meters wide, so they are built to capacity when feeder roads are used.  I'll also note that 3RRDOT rules require non-urban area exits to be no closer together than one-half mile/.8 km unless a special exception is made.

That's it for now- later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Yoman

Have you ever considered using the highway asphalt mod, I think it improves the look of the highways 10 fold while still keeping it pretty realistic for North America.

dedgren

Popping back in to publish Alex's (Tarkus) topo.

Space for a few box stores, eh?

Owen (Yoman)- Absolutely.  I'm going for speed right now, but the asphalt mod is a must.  I think those textures are part and parcel of the next RHW release, if I'm not mistaken.

Later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Pat

David awsome last 2 maps great job and SOS.... oooh that is speed of service lol arby's term lol

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

Alex's quad looks fantastic, too, David! And, once again, those maps...priceless.

Great work, as always!

Dustin

HabLeUrG

really nice topo David btw the white and black line is streets?

EDITEblem- I'm calling them "local roads."  When I set up the quad, I'll put only the most important ones in.  Usually, they will be the old one mile/1.6 km square farming grid in level areas and whatever got built in hilly ones.  They can either have a tar- or chip-sealed surface- some may still, in more remote areas, be gravel.  I haven't decided yet on a convention for urbanized area streets.  Remember too that the quad's Administrator/Planner can change internal roads to his or her liking so long things remain generally consistent with the overall 3RR theme, transportation map and backstory. -DE

Tarkus

Hi David-

Wow, that's a fantastic quad, there.  It looks right up my alley--I'm good with suburbia enroaching on farmland.  Thanks again!  And I love seeing the map of it there, and I'm glad to see the F-11 running through it.  I may have to get that new RHW release accelerated . . .  ;D  Looking forward to pushing that R-14 bridge to the limit.

-Alex

meldolion

David,
Tarkus quad is very beautiful, i really like R-14 Grand River Bridge :)

p.s.... pssst.... pssst David....... can you give me a glimpse of my quad? $%#Ninj2

bat

Great new pictures of that quad! Also great map! :thumbsup:

emilin

Very nice work. Very nice indeed! :thumbsup:

May I ask if those "local roads" are meant to carry over to other tiles or not?

If they are not to be carried over I'd say that it will probably look a bit odd with them going all the way up to the edges like that. Just a thought...

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

thundercrack83

Oh, so the black and white lines are roads! For some reason, I thought they were longitude and latitude (I'm an idiot!) I didn't catch the one that curves at the end. I get it now!

HabLeUrG

okay  ;) thanks David for the edit  ;D cant wait for your next update