• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rural Renewal Project

Started by Chrisadams3997, September 11, 2007, 03:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RebaLynnTS

Quote from: schm0 on January 14, 2008, 10:24:40 AM
I have a small suggestion/request:

Drainage ditches! They're alongside most rural roads that actually get rain, so why not? Plus, you could add little steel sewer pipe connectors that mimic the small pipes that stretch under the driveways and side roads that intersect (and cross the drainage ditch.)

What do you think?

I don't know if you have seen my LA River Project or not, but I was actually thinking of doing something along the lines you are speaking of, to go with my project. I have already done an Urban style drainage ditch, and it would not be very hard to make a rural style of them.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

spartanB292

Foaming at the mouth waiting for this to be finished  &hlp ! (also posting so I can track it's progress more easily)
Yarbles! Great bolshy yarblockos to you sir!

FrankU

Yes! Rural canals!
Can I put a request?
Canals of 1, 2 or 3 tiles wide (modular of course), with diagonals and green edges! I would be perfectly happy if I saw the green of the grass go just into the water and then some small vegetation on the edge.....
That's what our Dutch drainage canals look like.
In the moment I use PEG's stream kit and canals, but they are too natural looking. Simgoober's canals are too industrial: stone or brick edges (I forgot).

Please please?  ()flower()

quackmofro

I hate to bump an old thread, but I also hate to see such quality go to waste.

I know that Chrisadams3997 hasn't been active on SC4D for some time. But is there any possibility of anyone continuing the work for this project? It would be such a shame for a phenomenal project like this to fall by the wayside.

SimNation

Also just keeping the hope alive..if were all lucky will see a spring/summer release. I got a entior region im gonna make thanks to these beautiful works of art.

Lets us know when your back man.

RebaLynnTS

I'm still planning to do a set of road side lots, with a drainage ditch, and maybe a dirt path, just may be a month or so before I get to it.
Becca

FrankU

A drainage ditch! Yeah, like that!  &apls

oth3ll0112

Chris_This is great work that you've done.RL comes first and this is surely something worth waiting for.

Citynut

Quote from: FrankU on January 19, 2008, 10:34:34 AM
Yes! Rural canals!
Can I put a request?
Canals of 1, 2 or 3 tiles wide (modular of course), with diagonals and green edges! I would be perfectly happy if I saw the green of the grass go just into the water and then some small vegetation on the edge.....
That's what our Dutch drainage canals look like.
In the moment I use PEG's stream kit and canals, but they are too natural looking. Simgoober's canals are too industrial: stone or brick edges (I forgot).

Please please?  ()flower()

Hi FrankU I did some rural canals that you might be interested in and there are some ditches in it also below is the link to it
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1025

Chris - You have taken my imagination to another realm with what you have done so far withese updates look forward to seeing more of your work - All I can say is WOW  :thumbsup:
I'm nutty and I Bat and they're coming for me with the white coats again

FrankU

Citynut,
Thanks, but I know of your canals. For my purposes they are too elaborately bordered by shrubs, paths etc.
Maybe I post some pictures of RL canals I was thinking about?

RebaLynnTS

A picture would be most helpful.
Becca

ejc

is this released?? can't find it?  ???

Ennedi

@ejc, if you ask about rural canals - yes, they were released, follow the link in Citynut's message.
As for Chrisadams' rural stuff presented in this thread (paths, fences etc.) - no, they were not released. It's a pity, I had a pleasure to test them and I can say they are fantastic!

Who knows, maybe Chris will find some time to release some of his work later?  :)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

ejc

Quote from: Ennedi on April 22, 2008, 06:04:55 AM
@ejc, if you ask about rural canals - yes, they were released, follow the link in Citynut's message.
As for Chrisadams' rural stuff presented in this thread (paths, fences etc.) - no, they were not released. It's a pity, I had a pleasure to test them and I can say they are fantastic!

Who knows, maybe Chris will find some time to release some of his work later?  :)

was questioning for the paths and fences.. they look great indeed!

well, hope there will be some time for him to finish it off and give us something to take SC4 to another stunning level of realism...

E

FrankU

Rural canals.
This is what I have in mind. You see the grass almost grows into the water. The difference in heighth is minimal. In some Dutch areas even less: down to as little as 5 cm.
These pictures were taken near Staphorst.
View the link:
http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&hl=nl&geocode=&q=staphorst&ie=UTF8&ll=52.646396,6.207619&spn=0.048952,0.172348&t=h&z=13

Diggis

Quote from: FrankU on April 24, 2008, 01:44:40 AM
Rural canals.
This is what I have in mind. You see the grass almost grows into the water. The difference in heighth is minimal. In some Dutch areas even less: down to as little as 5 cm.

In some areas the water is above the road!  :D

FrankU

Yes, sure!

In some areas we only can keep our heads above water, because we build dykes around them and constantly pump the water out.
Thre are areas that are about 5 meters below sea level.

This is a very interesting country indeed.

Diggis

Quote from: FrankU on April 24, 2008, 02:26:42 AM
Yes, sure!

In some areas we only can keep our heads above water, because we build dykes around them and constantly pump the water out.
Thre are areas that are about 5 meters below sea level.

This is a very interesting country indeed.

I was told that 6m was the lowest point in the country, and 2/3's of the country was below sea level.  $%Grinno$%  I do know the highest point is something like 321m above sea level, which isn't all that high really.  Where did all the van de Bergs really come from!? ()what()

FrankU

You could be right, maybe it is 6 meter - sealevel.
The 2/3 is a bit too much, I think, but I 'm not sure about the figures.

And indeed, the Vaalserberg is about 321 meters high. And the worst is: it is located at the point where Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands meet, so only about 1/3 of it is Dutch. I hope it is the upper third, but am not sure about this.

Every bump in the landscape that is higher than your forehead is called Berg (mountain), so they can come from everywhere. Because despite what they say, the country is of course not completely flat. There are a lot of bumps.

Chrisadams3997

Yes, it's true, the rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated ;).  I don't have time like I used to for my projects, but I am now working periodically to get the stuff I'd started all finished and released, then we'll see.  This weekend I've been going through and filling in a lot of the gaps left by temporary fixes and clerical and technical errors in both the fences and paths, as well as the flora I've worked on.

There's not really much new to show, as it really is all the tedious little knick knacks and gewgaws of getting everything working like it should, and ordered properly.  Making sure all the names are named like they should be named, and the properties properly propertied and such.  The only thing I wanted to throw out today really was the work I've done on icons for the flora.  After spending some time taking screen shots, and working with different colored backgrounds, and different angles, and such, I've really come to the conclusion that some things just don't make good in game screen shots.  The worst of it has to be the wild flowers I've made.  I mean, they look good in the game, but you try to fit it in a 44x44 pixel box, and it just looks like someone puked in the middle of that box and called it an icon.

So I finally gave in to using some more stylized icons on a few of them.  But then I decided if I was going to do a few, I had to do all of them that way for the sake of consistency.  At any rate, they're radically different enough from what most use for icons for flora that I thought I'd get a reaction before I settled my mind.  Here's a screen shot showing most(all but one) of the icons.

And yes, the picture behind it is a little over the top ::), I know, but I decided I'd make it fun, so they are all(yep all of 'em) there in the background so you can see if you can connect them all to their icons ;D.  Better yet, see if you can figure out which icon is missing, shouldn't be too hard.

At any rate, I expect to be out of town the next two weekends, so it could still be a little bit if I don't find time during the week, but there's not much left to do all in all, so a release is coming.  I'll be announcing when I'm ready for a few outside testers once I think I've got everything set straight.

Chris