• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rural Renewal Project

Started by Chrisadams3997, September 11, 2007, 03:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisadams3997

Quote from: Alfred.Jones on June 01, 2008, 07:40:02 PM
OMG!!

That is just showing off!!

No, that was just me playing around, you don't want to see me when I'm showing off.  But just in case you did...

If There are no objections within the next couple of days, I'm going to call this model finished.  Then there's the issue of the diagonal... but I think it should work just fine.  Oh yeah, the rocks are added afterwards, just so there's no confusion-that's my Jeronij Maxis Rock tweak in action :P

Quote from: caspervg on June 01, 2008, 10:10:05 PM
Looking really good there, I really like that *can't think of the name*.
Dependending on what the task exactly is, I could perhaps help on the texturing.

Culvert maybe?  ;).  I've got a number of textures I'd like to fix or add to the gravel paths(lotted ones of course) that I just don't have much time to get to.  If you'd like to help, just PM me and I'll fill you in more.  If not, no biggy.

And thanks everyone else.  Now I'm off to bed. :)

Chris

threestooges

Excellent work with the culvert (and generally the whole rural renewal project). Blending it in with the rocks is a great realistic touch and this sort of thing is just what I have been looking for. Have you considered doing a double-barreled version as well? If not, no worries, just glad to have the current version. Well done.
-Matt

girlfromverona

That is SO perfect!!! Cannot wait to get it into my rural areas.  &apls

Ennedi

Thank you for so detailed answer Chris! Everything clear  :thumbsup:
Maxis rocks downloaded, testing in progress.
The culvert looks very good - no objections! In fact it's very good you made only a pipe without any concrete structures. It will be less aggressive and more flexible.
And I must say your work with your own flora is more and more advanced - the first picture in your first post is perfect!
(Closeups are very good too, it's a pity that we have so poor quality in this zoom level).

Adam

Edit: Maybe one thing can be changed in the culvert: you could make a bit deeper shadow inside the pipe. This way the ploppable water edge will be less visible. But the shadow shouldn't be too dark too  :)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Andreas

I don't mind the "poor" quality - apart from the pixelized view, it looks almost photorealistic. :) The culvert is a great idea, and the muddy water texture works perfectly in this case. I wonder if we can continue calling this SimCity...
Andreas

Ennedi

Of course you are right Andreas! This pixelized view is the only problem - it's my dream to do something with it, but I'm afraid there is no good solution  :)
Not SimCity - so maybe SimWorld?  ;)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

FrankU

Chris,
How fantastic this work is!
I just can't wait to try it out myself, but, where do I find the latest versions of your flowers, paths and greenery?
Would it be possible to add links to the most recent versions in the sticky post?
I would be greatly pleased.

Thank you for everything.

Chrisadams3997

ThreeStooges:  A double barrel arrangement had already crossed my mind, and the size of the model allows for two on one tile even, but I'm not sure about the correct spacing.  Should they be right up against each other, or should there be some distance?

GirlfromVerona:  Thank you.

Ennedi:  Thank you Adam, I hope you find the rocks more useful now.  If anything, more versatile.

I'm not sure about a good way to extend the shadow, or if it would help much anyway.  You might notice I cut the top of the culvert back at an angle near the end from the original.  This is not only realistic for a culvert this size in many cases, but I think gives it a move distictive and interesting appearance in game.  But even in the original pictures where this is not done, and therefore there is more of a shadow near the lip, the ploppable water edge is still just as visible.

The only way to completely circumvent this issue(or at least mostly) would be to render three more models of the culvert, each with 'TPW' rendered into the model itself(which would take some research on my part to match it up just right) in each of the three colors.  As it stands it gives the impression the the water isn't 'flowing' through it at the moment due to the water level being too low.  But for the moment I'm going to stick with just this to keep it simple--and avoid the hassle of matching the TPW ;).

Andreas:  Ah yes, pixelation.  I'd hate to be a sim, must be hard as heck to read anything down there ;D.

FrankU:  I'm planning on it this week, just one more thing to get around to.

Thanks for your comments everyone,
Chris

Pat

Chris you are so wonderful!!! Dannnnnng that is stunning work there!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

pvarcoe

The culvert is to die for (well, you know what I mean).
Unbelievable realism. Super work Chris!

Phil

Heblem

Quote from: Heblem on May 30, 2008, 07:04:49 PM
wow!! looking at these pictures changes absolute the apparency of simcity 4, now this game would be funnier to make farms and natural areas than a city!

Thank you for sharing! absolute realistic  :thumbsup:

Again I repeat that, and of course you did it!! cant wait to try out with a few new ideas i got in mind  :) You get a karma from me  :thumbsup:

TheTeaCat

Ha This time I had a spill proof mug when I clicked on your thread.
Boy was I glad - no spilled tea this time  $%Grinno$%

Those culverts - wow I am amazed at how good these look  &apls &apls

I'd be happy to test anything you would like tested :thumbsup:

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Chrisadams3997

Thanks everyone, and TTC, glad to see you've come prepared ;).

Just business this time, I've got the diagonals made, and both lots finished.  They are overhanging so that the lot is a space from the road(e.i. there'll be no sidewalks).

Notice the needed slope here for the diagonal to appear correctly, it's somewhat specific.  It has to be a cliff face with the flat part at the top of the tile.  The height required to get a cliff here(at all angles) of course depends on your JDEM mod, but using Ennedi's (MaxNormalYForCliff = .77) it needs to be somewhere just greater than 10 meters difference I think.  It's shown at 12 meters here.

I could make a lot that will work where the cliff face is at the top of the tile, and the flat part at the bottom(like the corner between the two culverts), all I've got to do is move the prop.  If there is interest, it just means an extra lot.

Chris

Pat

Ooooh my god Chris this is simply breath takin!!!  I truly love how the culverts are turning out... So these are set to what Adam has done with slopes right??? I guess now IM a tad bit confussed...  ()what()

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Chrisadams3997

Hmm, now I'm confused, lol.  It depends on what "Adam has done with slopes" you're talking about.  If you mean the transport networks slope mod, then, no.  If you mean the new 'MaxNormalYForCliff' values he's come up with in his new DJEM (more on that property In this Post), then, only in a way.  The normal Maxis settings require a greater height difference before a 'cliff' appears.  DJEM's change that value to allow cliffs to appear at lower hieght differences. 

If you use PJot's original, then you'll get cliffs at even lower height differences than Ennedi's.  Sooo.... The height difference required for the diagonal culverts to display as intended(which is to say, to get a cliff) does depend on which of these your using(Maxis MaxY=.675, Ennedi's DJEM MaxY=.77, PJot's DJEM MaxY=.85.)  I haven't tested to see just where cliffs appear in each, but I'm sure Ennedi will know more precisely.

No matter what, the culvert is just over 8 meters tall, so a little more than that is a bare minimum no matter if you have a cliff or not.

Now, with any luck I haven't confused you more :D.

Chris

p.s.  for anyone who doesn't know what DJEM is, that's "Diagonal Jagged Edges Mod" :)

rushman5

Oooo, overhanding props for less sidewalkage? Crafty indeed.  Keep it up

Pat

Ahhh thats the answer I was looking for here Chris!!! Thank you and that cleared it up 100%.... I had to cut my post short as I gotten a fire call while I was in my train of though lol sowwie about that...

CasperVg

Innovative idea to overhang it to overcome the sidewalk problem. I'm not that good in modding, but doesn't setting the lot's wealth to "None", make no sidewalks appear? Great textures and model tho, very realistic. Perhaps I concrete one would make the set complete  :)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Chrisadams3997

Quote from: rushman5 on June 02, 2008, 06:05:38 PM
Oooo, overhanding props for less sidewalkage? Crafty indeed.  Keep it up

Yesss, yess.  Doing what I can.

Quote from: Pat on June 02, 2008, 09:20:05 PM
Ahhh thats the answer I was looking for here Chris!!! Thank you and that cleared it up 100%.... I had to cut my post short as I gotten a fire call while I was in my train of though lol sowwie about that...

Glad to hear it Pat.  Not the fire of course, but that I cleared up your question ;).

Quote from: caspervg on June 02, 2008, 10:00:52 PM
Innovative idea to overhang it to overcome the sidewalk problem. I'm not that good in modding, but doesn't setting the lot's wealth to "None", make no sidewalks appear? Great textures and model tho, very realistic. Perhaps I concrete one would make the set complete  :)

Oh, I so wish it would make the sidewalks go away, but...  Instead, the game assumes low wealth unless a higher wealth(or interestingly lower wealth, meaning Ag) lot supersedes it. The only way to avoid sidewalks altogether is to change the actual textures the game uses for the wealth level in question.  Since I use PEG's RR facelift mod that removes the dirt under railroads and  streets/roads bordering Ag zone, the area next to ag zoning is indeed sidewalkless/textureless.  Unfortunately, we can't make ploppables Ag, and trust me, I tried.  A lot of things.  Removing sidewalks from low wealth roads and streets works(look at my early pictures in this thread), but... you don't have any sidewalks next to low wealth zones in urban areas either.

Also, I've already started thinking about how to do a concrete culvert, but it will have to be built for a specific slope, much like an overpass prop.  Thus it will require more precise terraforming, but it's doable.

Updated Pasture Flora and Draggable Paths:

I've placed updated releases for both pasture flora and draggable paths on the sticky post.  For those who already have all the previous  releases these replace, the changes are minor, it's more for those who missed the previous links(the old links have been deactivated by the way.)  If you update, just make sure to delete the old folder containing that mod before unzipping the new one.  Won't hurt anything if you don't, but you'll be sitting on a few outdated model files just taking up space.

Chris

klaascornelis

Thats quite the sticky you got there  ;D

Good work on the diagonal pipes b.t.w., really nice.
Any idea when this week your going to update the beta?

Greetings
KC