• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rural Renewal Project

Started by Chrisadams3997, September 11, 2007, 03:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisadams3997

Yes, I happen to know exactly when it'll be updated...

When it's finished ;)

I've got just a couple things to do, and to check over, as well as putting together a readme.  It's very dependent on how much time I get and how long those things take.  So just keep an eye out.

Chris

Pat

WoW Chris you updated the Stickied Top!!! I like it and its very user friendly and easy to catch up on whats been going on here...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

JoeST

YAY for the updated OP, its looking great in here :)
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

quackmofro

:o :o :o

Wow, this work is truly remarkable. I've perused every page of this thread and it's all too overwhelming for me! I really need to start playing this again.

FrankU

Chris, thanks a lot for updating your Sticky post.
My wish appears to be your command  $%Grinno$%, but that, of course, implies that I should thank you elaborately for your work.
So:

An "elaborate thanks" to you

&apls &apls :thumbsup: ()what() &apls :-[ :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :-\ $%Grinno$%

klaascornelis

Good work on the updates my gratitude is huge!!

Chrisadams3997

Quote from: Pat on June 03, 2008, 08:03:15 AM
WoW Chris you updated the Stickied Top!!! I like it and its very user friendly and easy to catch up on whats been going on here...

Thanks Pat, I put a lot into trying to do just that with it.

Quote from: star.torturer on June 03, 2008, 10:50:11 AM
YAY for the updated OP, its looking great in here :)

Glad you like it.

And a collective thank you as well to quackmofro, FrankU, and Klasscornelis for your compliments.  Oh, and FrankU, that was certainly the most elaborate of all the elaborate thank you's I've ever been given :thumbsup:.

I just wanted to update those watching on what's going on in the background.  I've been making some more icons, this time for some cow lots(for the next beta), and of course getting those lots modded.

You also get to see my ten year old Jasc Paint Shop Pro program ("Photo Shop? we don't need no stinkin' Photo Shop!") that I do all my image editing in.  Still gettin' the job done :) .

Chris

edit:  And... those are finished:

At least for now...

Ennedi

These are little additions, but they make rural scenes much more alive! :thumbsup:
Your last culverts look fantastic as well!

Adam

PS. The panorama on the stickied top is fantastic!
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Pat

chris hoollly COW man!! Those cows are looking great and the feeders too!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

Wow you're keeping busy. I like the diagonal storm drain, and as far as the double-barrel version goes, I would suggest directly next to each other. This way, there would be less opportunity for debris to lodge itself at the entrance and block up the whole works.... gives me an interesting idea for a photo comp pic though... At any rate, the cows and various pasture props look pretty good. The scale looks good and the menu pics get the job done too. Count me in for the next round of tests. I wasn't able to give you any feedback for the first round of flora, but I'll make sure to make the time for this.
-Matt

Chrisadams3997

Ennedi:  Yes, lots of little additions for the next beta.  Lots of tedious little additions... lol.  Me right now: :-\ ()what() ??? :'(.  But in the end ()stsfd().

And I love the pic that panorama came from, didn't even think of using something else.  Glad you like how it came out.

Pat:  Of course they aren't anything new per say, their just modded finally ;D

Threestooges:  busy?  see my reply to ennedi, lol.  There won't be any radical changes from the beta already posted, just additions.  Though I might have a surprise or two soon.

Just another addition coming to the new beta, again, just filling in some holes.  In the original, if you wanted to make corners at a diagonal, you had to do it at the corner of two grids:

I always wanted some corners on a single tile, and I finally got to it.  The cross beams are longer because to have a post in the middle I could only have 4 fence sections on the tile, versus the usual five, but it blends just fine with the other pieces(not that I was smart enough to get a shot with them connecting ::).)

edit:  Here's an example where these come in handy:

Chris

jacqulina

wow chris those are fantastic just what im needing my friend &apls &apls

mightygoose

extremely useful stuff, im just waiting for ploppable ducks, chickens, swans and geese :P
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Ennedi

Quote from: mightygoose on June 04, 2008, 01:14:21 PM
extremely useful stuff, im just waiting for ploppable ducks, chickens, swans and geese :P

I agree, I only would like to tell that ploppable cowflops already exist, Andreas made them some time ago  ;)

I would only wish to see some other modular lots sets as good and thoughtful designed as this one  :)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Chrisadams3997

hmm, don't know about dukcs, geese, and such, they'd be awefully small in game.  Don't think you'd be able to tell much of them without some imagination, but if you take a look at jestarr's thread, he's working on some cattle and sheep props for use as random props in fields, as well as hopefully ploppables.

Oh yea, don't know if anyone noticed the conspicuously missing shadows on the cross beams in the last pics, but I sure did(after I posted them.)  Turned out when I refit the lod's on the those diagonal cross beams, I made them too small.  Not too small for the prop itself, but too small for the game to decide to give them shadows at the second closest zoom.  I've since dragged those LOD's out to the ground and re-rendered.  Now the shadows are working fine.

Chris

mightygoose

sorry that was a tongue in cheek remark, fantastic work and i have to agree, if all modular sets were as thought out as this we would be very happy as a community :P
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Pat

Hey Chris don't mind John I think he was being a bit ummm goofie lol....  Anyways good progress here!!! I cant wait for the beta!!!

Chrisadams3997

Mightygoose:  Yep, I know.  It just happened to be a good lead in to that reference to jestarr's new props ;).

Pat:  well, I don't much 'mind' anybody, if you mean to take offense.  Guess I'm too much the optimist.  And I'm glad you're excited about the new beta, but I want to remind everybody it's not adding that much, just another step towards a full release.

So, I'm rather certain I shouldn't even show any of this, as it's a long way off.  But it looks too cool, so I will anyways.  I've started considering what I want to do after I'm done with the fences, etc.  With the recent work on culverts, I've started considering alternative ways of passing TPW under networks.  We can of course do this with land bridges, but not at a diagonal.  So to me, that's the big holy grail in this area.  Essentially, the present line of research is into using bridges that use LOD's that cover the terrain to do this.  It's akin to the idea used for the culverts, only on a larger scale.  For reference, it's similar to a canal bridge, only designed to work with TPW, which brings in the challenge.  Adding to that is making it work at a diagonal.  At present I don't know how it'll all work out, but my first investigation into has begun.

I've started the investigation by looking at local bridges over small bodies of water.  What I'll show here could eventually represent it's own little(ha, ha) project separate from the RRP, which I'm for now calling the Bee Creek Project, after the area I'm drawing the real world inspiration.  Like I said, this is probably a good ways off, but hey...

Starting off with some pictures I took earlier today:

And here's the work so far:

The LOD's will be hell...

The hardest part is that it will have to work right into the slope surrounding it, seamlessly, and with enough diversity and randomness to be convincing.  In short it'll be fun. ;D

Chris

jacqulina

wow thats an awesome brodge chris

girlfromverona

You continue to astound, Chris!!!  &apls