• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rural Renewal Project

Started by Chrisadams3997, September 11, 2007, 03:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

oooh sure go and blow away my mind Chris WOW!!!! daaaaang that is sooo great!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Yoman

I personally despise LODs  :bomb: So good luck to you with your LODs, they appear to be going pretty well though, and the end product Im sure will look excellent.  :thumbsup:

Chrisadams3997

QuoteI may have to try this system myself (if you don't mind) for a model or two of my own.

Go right ahead!  Not exactly copyrighted ;).  The big rule of thumb really is that any time a model goes into or under ground, the LOD's have to be tight there, or you run into real problems.  For this one, I built the LOD as a spline, using the lines I already had in the model, then extruded it.  The LOD for the culvert is just a modified 12 sided, I think, N-gon made to fit over the model.  I can show it if you'd like.

Another big tip if you're making something that will dig into a slope is to model the slope first.  Then you can get a better idea of how your model will interact with it.

QuoteI personally despise LODs   So good luck to you with your LODs, they appear to be going pretty well though, and the end product Im sure will look excellent.

I did first time I tried playing with them too.  I guess you just have to learn what you can and can't do to them.

On an utterly unconnected note, with Diggis's help, I think these are going to see the light of day:

These, of course, being my football, and as seen above, rugby field lots.  Yea, that's real world scale, 10x6 lot.  ;D

edit:  One extra word, or a request really.  If anyone happens to be digging around in Google Earth, etc. and comes across a good looking pitch with good resolution, I'd love it if you'd direct me to it, or at least take a pic of it for me.  Higher resolution, the better.  Thanks.

Found some.

Chris

mightygoose

awesome work. those pitches look brilliant
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

threestooges

Glad to see things are coming together with the fields (and the one you've shown looks great) and thanks for the tip about modelling the slope. I have a feeling that saved me some modelling time and countless trial/error exports. I'm not sure what the general specs are around here, but my computer is around 5yrs old and running with 256mb RAM. Any time saving tricks are well appreciated.
-Matt

CasperVg

The rugby field looks great, will they be lotted by Travis?  ::)

EDIT: Are these of any help?

And with a running track
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Chrisadams3997

Quote from: mightygoose on June 05, 2008, 06:39:40 PM
awesome work. those pitches look brilliant

Thanks MightyGoose.

Quote from: threestooges on June 05, 2008, 06:56:33 PM
Glad to see things are coming together with the fields (and the one you've shown looks great) and thanks for the tip about modelling the slope. I have a feeling that saved me some modelling time and countless trial/error exports. I'm not sure what the general specs are around here, but my computer is around 5yrs old and running with 256mb RAM. Any time saving tricks are well appreciated.
-Matt

If you run into any issues, feel free to PM me.

Quote from: caspervg on June 05, 2008, 08:36:45 PM
The rugby field looks great, will it also be lotted by Travis?  ::)

He doesn't have the rugby fields at present, but I might see if he wants to do some for them.  They'll make a great Christmas present :D.  Of course I'm just kidding.  I figure I can say that, given I don't have much room to talk when it comes to timely releases. ;)

Chris

EDIT:  Thanks Casper, but I already found my two new ones. :thumbsup:

Pat

Hey Chris those fields are coming along rather nicly there!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

girlfromverona

Quote from: Chrisadams3997 on June 05, 2008, 05:52:06 PMI built the LOD as a spline

Ah, yes... but did you reticulate that spline?  ;)

Seriously, that bridge is looking awesome. I can't wait to see it with the grungy textures. And the sports fields!!! I am so glad they're finally going to be released!  &apls

Diggis

They look great Chris, I'll take a look at the files you sent and get them up for scruitineering.  :thumbsup:

Watch this space!

Chrisadams3997

QuoteAh, yes... but did you reticulate that spline?

Ah, and does anybody know which sim game that that actually came from(hint, it's not SC4.)

CasperVg

Congratulations on your entrance into the Projects board, well deserved  $%Grinno$%

Shadow Assassin

At long last, realistic football fields.

To be honest, I had totally forgotten about them. This certainly is a very ambitious project, and you have pulled it off admirably.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

threestooges

Congratulations on the dedicated board. Certainly a well deserved honor for this project.
Quote from: Chrisadams3997 on June 06, 2008, 05:11:34 AM
Ah, and does anybody know which sim game that that actually came from(hint, it's not SC4.)
I believe I recall this from SC2000 in the map generating part, the phrase that was muttered when you created a new map version.

Pat

Hey Chris congrats on the move to the Projects Boards and as well as becoming a moderator other then all that cant wait to see some more wonderfull stuff!!!

Glenni

I really like your project here chris, and i can't wait to use it properly when i get my good pc back. Currently i have to use this laptop, and is only good for playing sc4 on small tiles, and making normal sized BATs, but yeah, i am a little bored, and i could contribute with some small bits and bobs( random stuff) if you want. :)

Chrisadams3997

I'll get to replies tomorrow folks, just wanted to show you I've been busy...

I pretty much learned the basics of HTML tover the course of this afternoon and night.  It's 1:20 a.m. now, but I finally got all the kinks out(or think I do).  Maybe I can start cranking out some readme's for a few things now.  At any rate, it's bed time.

Chris

CasperVg

Looks great, way better then what I can do with HTML.  ;)

girlfromverona

Looking good, Chris! You must be a fast learner!  :thumbsup:

I have a small request for you - I'll understand if you're too busy to take it on, though...

I am hoping that you might be able to make a bridge like this one, except with the TPW texture?

This is one of Peg's and goes with his river/stream kit. It's basically a brick fence that sits on either side of a road and makes it appear as though the water is going under it. It's usable on flat terrain, which makes it quite handy.

bat

Great work on your stuff there, Chris! Nice work! :thumbsup: