• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rural Renewal Project

Started by Chrisadams3997, September 11, 2007, 03:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaston

Quote from: girlfromverona on June 06, 2008, 11:54:16 PM
Looking good, Chris! You must be a fast learner!  :thumbsup:

I have a small request for you - I'll understand if you're too busy to take it on, though...

I am hoping that you might be able to make a bridge like this one, except with the TPW texture?

This is one of Peg's and goes with his river/stream kit. It's basically a brick fence that sits on either side of a road and makes it appear as though the water is going under it. It's usable on flat terrain, which makes it quite handy.
This one is PEGs????       I thought I had everything from the river and stream kit but I have never seen this one.    Hmmmmmm.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

girlfromverona

Quote from: Gaston on June 07, 2008, 07:06:42 AMThis one is PEGs????       I thought I had everything from the river and stream kit but I have never seen this one.    Hmmmmmm.

Yep, it's called "PEG Stream - Transit Bridge". (I had to go back and check to make sure - hee!)

Chrisadams3997

Caspervg:  Thanks!

Shadow Assassin:  Glad you were able to post.  We'll soon hopefully be up to our elbows in those fields between my and Travis's lots for them.

ThreeStooges:  Yep, which I actually can't recall ever hearing myself actually.  I had to do some research to find out about that.  The first game that started using the now ubiquitous messages at the top was SimCopter where it was also included amongst the other random messages during loading.

Pat:  Thanks, and there's always more things on the way.

Glenni:  interesting offer.  I might PM you in the next several days.  A few things in my backlog that might be up your alley.

Caspervg:  heh, it's way better than I could have done at lunch time yesterday too... the most I'd done before that was make a single image tag for my dad's email signature, lol.  It was a long night. ::)

Bat:  Thanks again.

Girlfromverona:  We really need a shorter nick name for you, lol.  That's something I hadn't thought about doing actually, so I took a look at it.  It's definitely a clever use of LOD's and a little optical illusion, here's just the results of my quick and incomplete mockup of it, next to (a horribly pixelated) image of PEG's. (won't be able to really flesh out a model for a while though)

The textures are just rough additions so there's something halfway representative there, except for the TPW of course.  You can see the LOD's for Peg's bridge at the bottom.  The water, bottom, and rock walls surrounding them break the surface on the visible side in game, but where you see them coming through the other side here(which you won't see in game), they are below ground level.  This allows you to see the stream passing under from the opposite side as in your pic of it, while the LOD's exclude it on the other side, cutting off at the edge of the brick wall.

Unfortunately we don't have such low bridges much in my area, so I'm a little stuck on coming up with a new model(I'm not recreating the PEG one of course).  If you or anyone else can dig up or take some RL pics of bridges that would fit the bill for this technique, I'd love to make some when I get time.  Any one can Feel free to post any here or PM me.

Chris

p.s.  Several people have had problems replying since the move.  The problem is being worked on, but I'd like to ask that if you run into any problems that you PM so I can keep track of the issue.  Thanks.

JoeST

YAY, i can post now... nice Idea there :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

jacqulina

i can post too thanks chris,excellent work your doing here &apls &apls

klaascornelis

I'm going to join the "yay i can finally post again" happiness.

And chris you just cant stop comming up with great ideas can ya?
BTW, the week is almost over :-p

Chrisadams3997

Well, hardly my idea on that one.  Girlfromverona's idea to create more in that style, and Peg's for the design from a technical standpoint.  Just wanted to let everyone know that I've put the culverts up for scrutineering.

QuoteBTW, the week is almost over :-p

Did you see my edit on the sticky?
QuoteIt will be updated sometime this week (hopefully ;).)

Besides, it'll still be this week come tomorrow.

Just waiting for everyone to catch that one ;).

I've just got the readme I want to get done first.  All the other little things are done.

Chris

Ennedi

Chris, don't hurry! Such work is horribly time-consuming and needs a lot of attention. And it should be a pleasure for you, not an unpleasant duty!  :D
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Silur

Hi, Chris ...
I think - this is a fantastic place with excellent rural objects  &apls &apls &apls
You're great artist - I like You RRP
Best Regards  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

klaascornelis

Quote from: Ennedi on June 07, 2008, 03:02:13 PM
Chris, don't hurry! Such work is horribly time-consuming and needs a lot of attention. And it should be a pleasure for you, not an unpleasant duty!  :D

Guilt   &mmm

My intentions were never to rush you tough.  ::)
I'm just a little bit impatient.

But Ennedi is right, take all the time you need.

girlfromverona

Wow, that was quick, Chris! Looking good. I'll keep an eye out for some RL pics for you.

Oh, and you can call me gfv (or Marisa) if it's easier! LOL

ETA:

Quote from: Chrisadams3997 on June 07, 2008, 01:47:50 PMJust wanted to let everyone know that I've put the culverts up for scrutineering.

Are the culverts available in beta form somewhere? If they are, I must be blind coz I can't see them...

Chrisadams3997

No guilt Klaas(while we're shortening names), I'm in no hurry.  I'd set out the things I wanted to add for the next one, and the readme really is the only thing left.  The only big reason a new one is needed is to update diagonal SF piece's graphics, so that people aren't surprised when they update the files and find that all of these pieces that they placed don't line up like they remember.  Other than that, as I've said a few times, it's just small additions.

So no worries Ennedi, nothing's being rushed into production ;).  Besides, not like it's a final release or anything, lol.

Now then, Marisa(we'll go with that, has a bit more of a ring than gfv ;) ), I didn't release the culverts for beta.  I planned some time ago to use them as my guinea pig for developing all the infrastructure for later releases(readme's, installer, etc.), so I had them on the fast track(or at least fast track for me ::) ) for release.  They should be up on the LEX before too long.  And I'll be looking forward to any pics you find.

And finally, Silur (I didn't forget about you :) ), it's good to see you in here as well :thumbsup:.

Chris

Pat

So with it being a week tomorrow we might get some new goodies to beta there Chris???  ;)

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

girlfromverona

Ahhh, cool. Look forward to the release then!!  :thumbsup:

Chrisadams3997

Well Pat, you know I wouldn't promise anything like that. ;)

I didn't write any readme's tonight, but I did do some light modeling.  I've been meaning to add some more ranch entrances for quite some time(and make them diagonal, but that'll be for another night.)  I finally made a couple more.

They're the two on the left.  Still tweaking textures on the old looking one, but you get the picture ;)

Chris

CasperVg

Looks great, what about a gate with the same texture as the fences?
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

jacqulina

the ranch entrances look amazing chris &apls &apls

girlfromverona

Here are a couple of bridges that might look quite good over TPW streams. What do you reckon?

bat

Pat

LoL Chris I knew you wouldn't do that per say but hey I had to ask lol.... Those entrances are looking real good there chris!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie