• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rural Renewal Project

Started by Chrisadams3997, September 11, 2007, 03:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simpson

Incredible work here chris congratulation   &apls
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Ennedi

Quote from: Chrisadams3997 on June 26, 2008, 11:33:51 PM
(...) Another thought that crossed my mind recently was to make the grass grow then die(or get mowed, eaten, etc), and grow again at some interval, just like trees that 'grow'(like the maxis ones or the ones c.p. did), only at much shorter intervals.  I'm not sure if it'd be all that great of an idea yet, but it's a thought.  One more experiment to add to the list.
(...)

So we can have the next common theme. I just started modifying terrain mod to increase seasonal changes, and I had some nice results yet. If you want, please PM me - we can make separate experiments, but it would be good to speak about time intervals. If I would know yours, I would be able to check positions of terrain textures at particular moments. It can be very interesting!

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

thewolf312

When i go in the water systems menu,fences paths and some buildings turn blue...i know that's a visual bug but is there a way to fix it  ()what()

oo and by the way...ur work rocks!

FrankU

Great grasses Chris!
I really should leave my seaport for a while and get back to the rural area....
Did I see ploppable sheep in one of your pictures? Did I miss something?

But for now, I'm on vacation. ::)

quackmofro

Quote from: thewolf312 on June 27, 2008, 11:00:16 AM
When i go in the water systems menu,fences paths and some buildings turn blue...i know that's a visual bug but is there a way to fix it  ()what()

oo and by the way...ur work rocks!

In the sticky post, look for the link "Beta Release Info" to answer your question. It offers an easy workaround to the problem.

BTW, Chris, I love the work that you're doing, and keep up the good work!

girlfromverona

I don't know how I managed to create rural areas before you came along, Chris. Can't wait to try out the new flora.  :thumbsup:

bat

That new flora and new stuff is looking fantastic, Chris! Looking forward to more...

Chrisadams3997

Casper:  That'd be awefully easy to do Casper, I'm actually trying to compile some different ideas and designs for feeders that'll be placed into several prop families so that they can be easily plopped into a pasture for a variety of feeders.  If you find any more different kinds I'd love to see the pictures, particularly since I don't know much about what designs would be common in Europe.

Unassigned:  you're welcome, and I will :)

Jacky and Simpson:  thanks  :thumbsup:

Ennedi:  Well, it'll have to wait.  I haven't even looked into the mechanism for doing this yet.  Judging from the information I've seen concerning it though, there is a degree of randomness to how long the cycles take that can't be changed, and we can't place exact dates.  Rather, it counts from when the flora is placed, so even with regular cycles, for it to work properly you'd have to have a particular day of the year they are designed to be placed.  Instead I was thinking more like a monthly or so cycle that would just give some dynamism to the grass, since most grassy areas don't stay long year round.

But even in that case, I'm afraid that after a few cycles the grass placed originally together would lose any cohesiveness to the cycle as random growth rates compound over time, resulting in have grown and half not, which might or might not be acceptable.  So to say the least I've got several reasons to be skeptical, but who knows?

Thewolf:  Well, what you're referring to occurs solely because they are grouped into the water utilities menu, so you're seeing the overlay showing watered and unwatered lots.  While this isn't entirely optimal, it's been done to avoid the crowded menus that are already well used at the suggestion of a number of people early in the testing process.  I'm glad you brought it up though as I'd like to hear what any other current users think about the trade off.  Personally I prefer the easier menu access even with the water overlay.

Marisa:  And I can't wait to see what you(and everyone else for that matter) do with it ;)

Bat:  Thank you bat.  there's always more coming :P

This is more of a project just for me right now, but if it gets developed far enough, perhaps it'll make for a good release.  I've been working today on what started as a modification to the missouri breaks terrain mod.  So far I've edited considerably the first six 'tempurature' levels of it (out of 31), also changing the weather parameters so that drier textures will show up during the winter, greener textures in the summer, as is the case around here, and many parts of the world.  The basic idea I've developed for the lower elevation levels so far is to have a green area around the riparian areas(near water), which I want to carry through to depressed areas at higher elevation(what would be used for TPW waterways), grasslands at level areas, with a mixed scrub/grass texture in hilly areas.  It'll be a work in progress for a while, but let me know what yall think.

I've also got some ideas on a tree controller for it, but we'll save that for later.  For now some region pictures in summer and winter, using the ridiculously beautiful Invermere Lake map ;).  You can click the images for full resolution if you'd like.

Summer

Winter

It's a long way off, but I just thought I'd share(Ok, ok, really I just thought the pictures were too cool to not show off, but don't tell anybody that $%#Ninj2 )

;D Chris

EDGE4194

chris- your mod of the terrain mod ( ::)) is looking good. can't wait to see what you come up with. the latest grasses are awesome btw.

jacqulina

great looking terrain chris &apls &apls

Simpson

Oh yeah superb pic of terrain  &apls
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Arkos

Hello of friends,

where can I find these stones? What do I have to download?

Greetings Arkos

Shadow Assassin

The stones there can be found in this post.

As for the Goldiva rocks, I'm not sure what the STEX calls it (can't access it atm)...
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Arkos

You could be somewhat more exact, where I find these stones in the water. I have also still another problem, where this water is.

I write over Babelfish, since my English is not so good. Therefore it would be nice, if I got assistance little in more detail. Thanks already once.
Greetings Arkos

Ennedi

Quote from: Arkos on June 30, 2008, 07:24:11 AM
You could be somewhat more exact, where I find these stones in the water. I have also still another problem, where this water is.

I write over Babelfish, since my English is not so good. Therefore it would be nice, if I got assistance little in more detail. Thanks already once.

There are two kinds of stones on this picture:
1. Chrisadams' modification of JRJ Maxis rocks - follow the link given to you by Shadow Assassin
2. GDV Mayor Mode Tropical Sea Set. This set is larger and includes more stuff (reefs, boats etc.)

Water: this is Jeronij's Transparent Ploppable Water. You can find it here in the LEX.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

bat

That terrain mod is looking very good, Chris! Always looking forward to more...

Alfred.Jones

QuoteBut don't tell anybody that $%#Ninj2

Your secret is safe :P

Very nice looking terrain textures. Will go beautifully with your paths :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

flame1396

Cool terrain mod. But here it seems to be that it's drier in summer and wetter in winter.
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

Chrisadams3997

QuoteCool terrain mod. But here it seems to be that it's drier in summer and wetter in winter.

Well, there are of course regional differences, which is why it's good to have different mods available.  It's really not so much a question of moisture though, as much as it is about what textures are dominant in summer and winter, particularly in flat stretches.  In warmer climates, the predominant grasses are typically (warning, a little technical jargon) perennial warm season grasses that go dormant in the winter.  while there are also cool season grasses(mostly annuals), grasslands and pastures are left largely covered with dormant warm seasons grasses, and thus at least drier 'looking'.  That's the effect that I'm shooting for, as opposed to having sudden lush growth in the winter.

Zaphod

Oh geez the perfectionist strikes again. Soon he'll be reduced to making those big ant piles you find out the country... :thumbsup:

Okay, OT, anyone remember where are the currently released aquatic stuff by that other guy? There used to be these other cattails and stuff that'd been around I thought since like '05...I'm losing it lol
War Kittens !?