• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Pagenotfound builds a bridge

Started by pagenotfound, August 19, 2008, 07:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pagenotfound

I just started working on an arch bridge. Its somewhat based on the Freemont Street Bridge in Portland Oregon. Right now its a fairly simple model without textures. I am currently placing beams in the arch.
Here it is....

That is the main center peice.
Its 40 tiles long (I know i have to break it up)
I do have some questions. Is it gonna work? How exactly to I RUL? How can I add lights?

Any help is appriciated
Im back baby! Everybody do the Bendah!

threestooges

Glad to see you posted this here. It will be some work, but I'm sure you can do it. I'm not sure about RULs, but lights are added to the bridge just like the would be in a regular BAT. See: phillippbo's BAT tutorial at ST if you've never tried lighting before, it gives a good basis. If anyone else knows about RULing bridges, I'd like to learn too. Good luck with this project pagenotfound.

girlfromverona

Yes, it looks like a good start! Look forward to seeing some more progress.  :thumbsup:

choco

wish i could see the pic.... ()what()

you will need an RUL for any bridge of more than 3 pieces.  Its not too hard if you reverse engineer a previous RUL, but there are some small notations and such that i dont quite understand....currently looking for help with this as well.  my understanding is that the RUL defines how the bridge pieces will be assembled, from the minimum length (which is mostly defined by the bridge type) to a lenght of 255 tiles.  its can be very menotinous though....

i posted a short sample from my RUL in my thread if you wanna have a look at the syntax. 

pagenotfound

Im back baby! Everybody do the Bendah!

Heblem

looks more for FHW (maxis highway) but anyway it looks great!  :thumbsup:

threestooges

I've started learning the RUL process thanks to some help from someone who was able to point me in the right direction. Even though I'm still learning, I thought I'd give you some idea of what all is required and allow you to start learning the process too.

I was given this link: http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=40&threadid=37512&enterthread=y and was advised to view the RUL file in the Bridge Controller file. From the looks of things, you will define each piece (a separate model) and then define a section (a collection of ordered pieces) and then, for each possible length of the bridge (up to 255 tiles) define the sections that will create the bridge.

As far as the model itself goes, I would recommend extending the support pillars much farther down (a couple 100m or so) as the bridge may be used much higher than originally thought. Good work though so far. I hope someone is able to give you a good idea how to cut the bridge into sections too.

choco

here's an excellent visual guide by jeronij i found hidden away in the Bridge Engineers needed thread on page 6....his next post further down the page says that you can make the pieces almost any size (within reason), but the smaller the better to avoid graphic glitches....

maybe the RUL for the maxis hwy arch bridge will offer some hints on how to cut it up.....i dont see how it could be done with less than 6, but then again....im kinda new at this as well.  im dreaming of a special truss bridge thats gonna need about 9 pieces, but its on the back burner until i figure some more of this stuff out. 

good luck and hope to see some progress... :thumbsup:

Streetlight 725

Sheep49

Wonderful bridge! :thumbsup:
I can't wait for some news about it! :)
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

Simpson

My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas