• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Meldolion's Randland

Started by meldolion, March 01, 2007, 08:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bat

Welcome to page 8!

Another great looking update! Wonderful work! :thumbsup:

Ennedi

Hello meldolion,

Your region development is really great - the region view is fantastic!  :thumbsup:

Very realistic smaller cities with farm fields, they blend very well with surrounding hills  &apls, also forests add a lot to this view

Your small village is very charming, I see You start to build windy roads - good luck and be aware  :D

As for your question about railway end: I have some suggestions, but of course you don't need to agree with them  ;)
1. Don't make a curve just before the end. The rail texture you use (it is from Jeronij's street side mod) looks great, but only on straight lines.
2. there are some rail stations terminus type (where rail line ends), but all of them are too large. I had in old region a small japanese station with only one platform, but also this station is about 6-7 tiles long.
3. Maybe you can put a small rail maintenance lot at the end - something like this? It will optical hide the ugly end

Or without rail catenaries

New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

meldolion

ohhh well.....
first of all thanks Ennedi for your Advice!!!

now, I'm trying to port Randland on a bigger map: from the actual 4x4 big city tiles to a 15x10 big city tiles (i tried something as big as 20x15 but my laptop cannto handle it :'( )

here is a preview of the region from terraformer:

and HERE the real image size (1.7 MB....)

I decided to make it rectangular to respect the original proprotions of the map....

I'll keep you informed of developements :D

EDIT: well, my home pc handles easily a 20x15 map so I'll give it a try :)

bat

Fantastic new map/ region, meldolion! Great work on that! :thumbsup:

dragonshardz

i hate to be your party pooper, meldolion, but Tar Valon is on an island and that seems to be very conspicouosly missing.

Also, Dragonmount seems to be missing as well....

If you expand it much more, try going into the desert that is off to the east where the...umm...

<rummages through bookcases>

...ah, yes, where the Aiel live.

meldolion

Quote from: dragonshardz on September 12, 2007, 04:25:28 PM
i hate to be your party pooper, meldolion, but Tar Valon is on an island and that seems to be very conspicouosly missing.

Also, Dragonmount seems to be missing as well....

If you expand it much more, try going into the desert that is off to the east where the...umm...

<rummages through bookcases>

...ah, yes, where the Aiel live.

I know I know DragonShardz  &mmm  in the new region I'll try to recreate at lest TarValon on it's Island, and Dragonmount as well :)

For the Aiel waste, at first i thought I could include Shara also (the land on the very far east of the continent), but that would have been meant a much bigger region, and it Terraformer thah would be impossible to handle.

Thanks for visiting, and I'm always glad to hear of someone other than me that reads that beautiful novels :)

Shadow Assassin

Psst, I read them too, you know. :P

You will need to edit the terraformer map a little bit more to ensure extra details can be added (like the swamp-ish area east of Emond's Field), as well as the Two Rivers.

The larger scale will allow you to make the map true to what Robert Jordan envisioned of "Randland".
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

meldolion

yes of course, but at 20x15 there is not so much detail to add....

looking at the map it appears ity would be possible to render TarValon in its island version tough :)

here is a preview of the grid superimposed on the original map:

BEWARE! The image is BIG

dragonshardz

well, i thought about it, maybe just the aiel lands around Rhuidean, but as a separate region.

meldolion

Hi all,

this is just to tell everyone I'm not MIA.... $%Grinno$%

but tying to reterraform the big region of Randland (16x12 Big cities), I'm waiting for some addition RAM for my lapto so terraformer  can handle such region :)

with just 1GB of RAM is a slooooooow going  &mmm

here is a glimpse of the development so far:

stay tuned!

Shadow Assassin

16x12?

Ouch.

Good luck with that endeavour.

However... I heard quite recently that Robert Jordan has passed away. The good news, though, is that the (draft of?) 12th book was sent to the publisher just before his death. So, it'll hopefully come out once the people who are writing on his behalf finish the book.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

dragonshardz

Yes, sadly, Robert Jordan has passed away  :'( However, since it was from a blood disease, he knew it was coming and spent time writing down what had to happen in the last book(s?). He died as comfortably as one can die, with his friends and family with him.

To Robert Jordan, a great man and an awesome writer.  :wings:

Danthe

wow, fantastic map, I like it :thumbsup: You will plaining a big region, I wish success for you.
If you find still a small rural terminal, I recomended two tiles timber platform from NOB. You find this (for end of page).

To next...

meldolion

Hi all!!

well, I've not fled to a remote island without internet connection, but I'm acutally busy terraforming the new map for Randland....

here is animage of the development so far, please tell me what you think of it :)

clicking on image opens one larger :)

dragonshardz

Hey look, Tar Valon and Dragonmount!

btw, could you send this map to me when you're done?

thundercrack83

Ooh, the map's looking great, meldolion! Can't wait to see how you develop it further, my friend!

meldolion

Quote from: dragonshardz on October 15, 2007, 04:23:13 PM
Hey look, Tar Valon and Dragonmount!

btw, could you send this map to me when you're done?

Sure! Maybe I will post it to the lex :)

dragonshardz

the reason i wanted it is because i am starting a new MD, my old one died (atrophy is a horrible thing). this one is going to be multi-region, so i am looking around for cool maps to use. please, meldolion, upload it to the LEX! it is awesome!

Pat

meldolion that is a wonderful map!!! Great job....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

meldolion

Quote from: dragonshardz on October 16, 2007, 04:45:45 PM
the reason i wanted it is because i am starting a new MD, my old one died (atrophy is a horrible thing). this one is going to be multi-region, so i am looking around for cool maps to use. please, meldolion, upload it to the LEX! it is awesome!

Ok as soon as I finish the terraforming I'll put the sc4m and the config on the LEX :)