• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FrankU's Lottery - Space Center update

Started by FrankU, October 19, 2009, 02:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankU

I asked this question on Simpeg too and Paeng gave me a nhand.

The resulting MMP's look like this

(Serviervorschlag, bikers not included)

Today I submitted the props and MMP's set as Franku Heblem Sand addon
You can find it on the
LEX
STEX

Soon mrbisonm will submit his lighthouse models and then I will submit my Lighthouse Rewards.

vortext

Though I re-re-sized the models (found them a bit too small when combined with the originals) you both saved me the hassle of making these in the first place so thank you Frank & Paeng!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

FrankU

Erik, you mean you made a Medium version? Shall I incorporate that in the set?

vortext

Basically, yes. Here's how it looks, Heblem's original model is on the left.

time flies like a bird

vester

So where can the bikes be found?

FrankU Heblem Sand addon on the exchange is missing a picture.

FrankU

Hi Vester, and all others,

There is a picture, as far as I can see....
The bikes are Murimk's

The Lighthouse Rewards are available! Get them on STEX or LEX.

Aaron Graham

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

vester

This is what I see on the general list:

FrankU

Hi folks, long time no see...

I have been struggling with the Marina replacement lot. I had trouble finding a good concept that would be useful for many players and would not have too many dependencies.
I will leave out all the details, but I think I just found something. At least I think it is worth wile to show you.

Here it is

Of course the surroundings are terrible, but they are just there to show that the lot fits in the NBVC marina set.

I used two Haarlemmergold BATs, the NBVC Marina set and some basics, like CP textures.
The advantage is that you can extend this marina with the NBVC sets. The disadvantage is that it is not extendable with all the other marinas that are available.
Two advantages for me were: in the first place I could find the marina props I needed in one dependency set and in the second place the seawall and the looks of the NBVC stuff is quite neutral, so that it will fit within a lot of city syles. At least, that is my opinion. I'd like to hear from you if you do not agree.

Anyway, I still have a problem that I cannot seem to solve.
The problem starts with one question: how many of you actually play the u-drive-it options? In this case: how many of you like to have the automata available in the marina? Somehow I seem not to be able to let them work correctly.
Also there is a related question: the game has eight props called Tag1x1x3_Marinafront*. I placed all of them in a row in the lot and all I get after plopping the lot is two or three speedboat automata. Does anyone know if that is how it's supposed to be? And somehow I have the feeling that it is important to place these props next to a water tile. But it is all a bit confusing. Maybe anyone of you knows a bit more?

kelis

Hoi Franku;

I really like the idea of create some marinas and I think that you are doing a great job so far, but I would like to
suggest some things that I think could be good for the final result...

I think that you should create at least three different lots, because if you only make one, these could be looks a little bit repetitive in the game if we want to plop more of one in a row, so if you make some different styles, we can make a much larger marina along the shore...

The last thing is just something that I try to do always when I am trying to create something with this amazing marina created by NBVC and it the next, as the marina has a ground texture that we cannot change (Grey color) I always try to put small (barriers) in the texture transition, and as you are doing a marina and it is an open space and that means that we cannot put some real barriers, I think the best option is put some chains or something like that...for me the result if much better because that texture transition looks better with some props in the middle...

Keep up the good work Frank  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

FrankU

Hoi Kelis,

This marina lot is intended as a replacement of the Maxis marina. So it must be possible to use it as a stand alone lot. Therefore I looked for a set of marina props that were not too expressive in style in the first place and that were not spread over three dependencies or more. So PEG was out of the question. PEG has many different styles, most of them very beautiful, but I could not find one download that contained seawalls and boats and docks. I would have ended up with several dependecies.
Besides: PEG already has a marina replacement and the props used for this set are definitely unDutch.

The NBVC marina is useful, because it's style is quite sober, but well done. And it also contains all the lots you need to expand the Maxis Relot into a lager marina.

Your suggestion about the transition between concrete and brick is a good one. I'll change my lot that way. Maybe some hedges or flower planters.

By the way: I don't know if anyone guessed, but the temporary buildings on the right side are meant to be the Marina's office. I changed my mind and I will delete that prop. The office will be placed in one of the old warehouses.

noahclem

Great marina re-lot  &apls

I don't udi too often but optimally it'd be good to have it. Nice banner btw :thumbsup:

vortext

Using NBVC's set is a good move, however, atm the lot practically forces them onto the player in order to 'finish' the marina, i.e. cover the corner edges. Instead maybe try to wrap the walls around the lot in a U shape and moreover, make the lot extend over water, like so ~~U~~, waves are shoreline. This way one can use it as stand-alone marina or opt to continue with the NBVC walls in the corners, like this --U--, stripes are NBVC walls. Besides improved usability, piers could be placed on 3 sides of the lot, which would make it more interesting visually imho.

As for UDI, I really don't care for it at all and consequently, do not know how it's triggered / functions.  &mmm

At any rate, given your lotting skill I'm sure it'll turn out great!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird

FrankU

Hmmm, well. I found out the rarely used UDriveIt option works also without the funny marina automata on my lot.
So I deleted the automata alltogether and cleaned up the lot in several ways.

I did some changes after having read the comments here and on SimPeg.

Vortex advised me to go around the corners with my seawalls. So I did, but now I cannot use the lot as part of a W2W development and also not as part of a long straight seawall. So although the lot got prettier, I think I am going to wipe out the corner props. It's possible to add these props by hand in game when you have terraformed your shoreline in the right way.

So now I have

And if you add the seawalls by NBVC you get

Whaddayathink?

I could make an additional lot so that you can extend the red-bricked-treelined pedestrian area behind the W2W or whatever buildings.... One or two lots with flowers, the tree and the streetlight? The rest you can mmp by yourself. Deal?

art128

I preferred the version without the corners, to be honest. Having the fences blocking the way like that is just unpractical.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

vortext

Quote from: art128 on June 19, 2014, 08:50:37 AM
Having the fences blocking the way like that is just unpractical.

Plopped this way yes. Plopping it one tile further out over the water would solve that though.

Quote from: FrankU on June 19, 2014, 08:20:25 AM
It's possible to add these props by hand in game when you have terraformed your shoreline in the right way.

That kinda was my point, one has to do additional terraforming & plopping to make it look decent. I guess the question is: do you want the marina to act as stand-alone lot or do you want to 'force' NBVC's walls to be used in conjunction, if only to cap the corners?
time flies like a bird

mrbisonm

One opinion seldom comes alone........

One way it suits the one ....and the other way it suits the other. I don't know, but I personally think now that you should make two lots out of it, making one with the corner fences as a stand-alone, and one without for an addon type to these walls.
I prefer the stand alone since I don't (and probably never will) use the other seawall lots. Besides, they all look great.

....my opinion

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

FrankU

As I have a kind of habit of providing several versions of a lot I could indeed do one with and one without corners. The one without corners can be used as part of a longer seawall promenade or area, the one with the cornes could be used as stand alone, but of course (with some extra effort) also as part of a larger area. You need to know that the dependency NBVC Marina contains all lots for a simle but modular marina, so you have all the props needed for such a thing anyway.
Tariel at Simpeg remarked that a marina usulaly has facilities to lift boats in and out of the water or at least a ramp. And mine does not. That is correct. I would gladly add these options for a more realistc lot. The only disadvantage: more dependencies.

Votes please?

1. Lot as is, with already 4 dependencies you already have (SGvol1, CPtextures et al) and 4 dedicated for this lot.
2. More realism and more dependencies, probably another two.

I'll do some searching now.

w_swietwoot

Hi,

my thoughts are, I think like vortex' idea, that is should look like this (also using his visualisation example :)):

Seawalls    Marina   Seawalls     (land)
_________            __________
~~~~~~~|______|~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   (water)

This way marina sits one tile further into the water than the seawalls. It stands out better this way imo, because it's a reward so it should be the centre of the docks. Only 1 marina lot would do and one could use it as a stand-alone marina as well.

I don't care about more dependencies, as long as it aren't very obscure ones obviously.
Oh, and the lot looks much better than I had anticipated already  :thumbsup:, Gr.

ps: If you are doing extra lots, could a lot with modern buildings and shops be possible also? I think these monumental buildings will look strange in a modern port  &mmm.

romualdillo

Hello!!!

I don't know if you will understand what I mean, beacuse my english is not very good. But I hope to express myself correctly. Imho Vortext and w_swietwoot are right. In order to make a stand-alone marina it should have corners to make an extension unnecesary. If you want to have the seawalls, the marina can be located a step further into the water. You're using Haarlemmergold's BATs to get the dutch appearance for the marina... well, those (and the lot) can be repetitive if you put too much marinas in a row, so I think corners are ideal. I know that those medieval industrial buildings are repetitive and a typical landscape in "hanseatic" waterfronts, but for their purpose they had to be close to the water, so I think it will be good if you include in the set a one tile high lot with Haarlemmergold's BATs to build a waterfront with the seawalls and continue the marina (I think the shop props as family are variation enough). Your marina could be seen as a new terrain taken to the water  in order to get a new space for leisure (and I think that's very dutch) when the warehouses lost their original purpose.

I'll try to copy w_swietwoot

===================================== road
warehouses warehouses warehouses warehouses
  Seawalls      Marina       Seawalls     Seawalls
_________                    __________________
~~~~~~|____________|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My apologies if I've been rude in some way... and keep the good work!!!