• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show Us Your . . . Road Signs

Started by Ryan B., July 28, 2011, 10:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swordmaster

That first sign gave me a chuckle. Would be suitable in a lot of places I know ;D

Very good signs, by the way.

Cheers
Willy

Haljackey

Oh wow Eggman I really like! Any chance you can make them public for downloading sometime? (maybe on the STEX?)

Anyways made a couple  A couple roundabout signs in the 'design phase'

Overhead:

Ground mounted:

Based on:

eggman121

Thanks for the comments Guys  :thumbsup:

@ Haljackey

I do plan to release the signs publicly but I am not so good at the lotting at the moment. I have just been placing the signs on a grass lot but, with the number of signs I have (I have more in the pipeline) I need to be able to (A) Label the lot and (B) Condense the lots so they are continuous or all together in a series. At the moment they just appear as a grass lot and are all over the place in the parks menu.
I have just been using the standard Maxis Lot editor for the moment

If you know of any tutorials or programs of how to do this please let me know.

I do think some generic signs for the RHW and NWM would be useful and it will be lot based for the moment.

Thanks for your interest. 

Swordmaster

Quote from: eggman121 on November 01, 2012, 08:54:19 PM
Thanks for the comments Guys  :thumbsup:

@ Haljackey

I do plan to release the signs publicly but I am not so good at the lotting at the moment. I have just been placing the signs on a grass lot but, with the number of signs I have (I have more in the pipeline) I need to be able to (A) Label the lot and (B) Condense the lots so they are continuous or all together in a series. At the moment they just appear as a grass lot and are all over the place in the parks menu.
I have just been using the standard Maxis Lot editor for the moment

If you know of any tutorials or programs of how to do this please let me know.

I do think some generic signs for the RHW and NWM would be useful and it will be lot based for the moment.

Thanks for your interest. 

You could release them as props. . . that way you don't need to be concerned about the lotting.

Cheers
Willy

eggman121

Hello Swordmaster

The problem with just exporting the props is that the props need to be moved around to fit the varying widths of the RHW and elevated in some cases with GMAX (I don't have access to 3DS MAX  :'( ) and the Maxis lot editor can only fit props within the tile bounds.
I would like to also like to make a release of these signs so SC4 users can just start using them and not have to worry about Modding them themselves.

On that note if you or anyone else is interested in helping me lot the signs or can think of some signs they want included feel free to PM me.

For now I would like to learn how to make lots properly since I think it is a worthwhile skill.

Thanks for your interest

Stephen

eggman121

Sorry to bump this thread twice but it has been inactive for a little while.

I have made enough signs to cover almost all variants of exits and entrances for the RHW 5.0.

Here are just some of the signs I will be releasing

Start Freeway Sign type 1 

Merging traffic sign on an RHW 6C

Small Merge Left Sign

Elevated Exit Sign for RHW 4S L2

Asymmetrical Signs for RHW 3

Hope you like them  $%Grinno$%

Monorail Master

Very nice job Eggman121!! I really do love those ERHW-4 L2 exit sign w/ safety barrels and RHW-4 - RHW-2 transition signs.

Any plans for Merging Traffic signs for the ERHW-4, ERHW-6, etc ramp pieces to go along with the ERHW-4+ Exit Signs?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Haljackey

Oh, very very nice Eggman! And yes I'm a fan of a grass base texture.

eggman121

Quote from: Monorail Master on November 14, 2012, 06:05:16 AM
Very nice job Eggman121!! I really do love those ERHW-4 L2 exit sign w/ safety barrels and RHW-4 - RHW-2 transition signs.

Any plans for Merging Traffic signs for the ERHW-4, ERHW-6, etc ramp pieces to go along with the ERHW-4+ Exit Signs?

Already made and lotted

Quote from: Haljackey on November 14, 2012, 08:52:03 AM
Oh, very very nice Eggman! And yes I'm a fan of a grass base texture.

I was going to replace the grass texture in favor of a transparent texture  :D. What do others think? 

sunv123

I was going to replace the grass texture in favor of a transparent texture  :D. What do others think?  [/quote]

Yes, i would be happy to see that, because i keep the areas near my highways clear, and a grass texture would look a little weird in it.

Very nice job with these signs eggguy! $%Grinno$% :D
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

Earwhyckque

Great work on the lots! They really complete the look the roads, I think.

I only make road signs as side projects; the portals on the concrete (Maxis) highways in my regions are owned and maintained by the Simland Road Agency, which does not care for provincial lobby attempts ;)

Nevertheless, they could look like this:
(sorry for putting them all in the same picture)

I'm almost happy with how they turned out, although I was aiming for a more French style, rather than Dutch... Designed carefully, they have turned out a little bit too boring; flipping the arrows upside down may help a bit...

EDIT: The signs are placed alongside the A1, approaching motorway intersection Smutsand from the north. For reference, see the small map below. The intersection is marked by the red dot. As you may notice, there is no clear road numbering system yet, hence the odd route shields...

riiga

Some historical signs for my upcoming Simcity region.

Flatron

Ja, nya vägskyltare från swärige! &apls
New road signs from swärige!

deanva

Are there any guidelines as to size of the road signs, lettering (fonts), you guys use in simcity 4? Do not want one to be too small or large for the game.

j-dub

I can't name dimensions, but in terms of sizing road signs, Eggman, for example, was at that ideal scale.

However, I couldn't do fonts that small, because there is no way I would be able to render signs so sharp at that level. I could not get BAT on any system of mine to render that sharply with realistic scaled signage. That is exactly why JA's signs on the STEX, at that time were done at the larger scale, because they were not able to render them so small and sharp like you can now for 1 to 2 tile wide road networks. However, some considered those larger scale signs perfect for the wider sized RHW's.

In America, a real close font is more of an Arial family font on the road signs, but highway signs, hung over, around here use a modified Arial font. These fonts are not usually preinstalled, but I have seen them named as "hit the road", "interstate" and "blue highway" Since those appear so much more like them, they would be the type mounted over, 4realism is key.

IDK what signs you were doing, but my attitude was make the text part of the sign in MS Paint, with the realistic font for the letters, than shrink that image down onto the sign, instead of trying to assign text in the model making program.

eggman121

Quote from: deanva on February 16, 2013, 12:29:46 PM
Are there any guidelines as to size of the road signs, lettering (fonts), you guys use in simcity 4? Do not want one to be too small or large for the game.

I use Arial Black for font size 1, but that is just my personal preference.

And If you want the sharper resolution follow this post here. These are Simfox's scripts that he has attached to his post.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7430.msg238749#msg238749

You have to replace the scripts in your BAT folder with these scripts and you will get an option in the BAT to preview in High Definition or Standard Definition. Signs and other small objects can be rendered in High Definition, but Standard Definition is still preferred for larger objects.     

deanva

Thanks for the information on the font type and size, I found a tutorial in simtropolis on how to BAT a sign. There was no information on the fonts thanks for the information will use a graphics program and go from there to see if I can make the signs I need.

eggman121

Hello everybody. Since the new NAM is out I have decided to start placing signs on ramps as a T21 Exemplar onto the RHW

Here Is some photos of what I have achieved so far...

There will be more to come but I cannot proceed any further without an ExemplarID range and an Instance range at the moment.

If someone could be so kind as to show me the thread where I can request a range for both of these items it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Stephen

Haljackey

Oh, looks nice! Great work Stephen!

spot

Awesome job! I've thought about that before but i dont have the knowledge to make it happen.