• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

buzzits power project

Started by Buzzit, August 10, 2010, 02:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzit

welcome back MR.Y
hope you had a great time there :)

so i digged a bit deeper into resizing the models
and i am shocked that i didnt noticed this earlier on.

here are some comparison shots i made:

german pylon

older delta pylon with improved upper structure(this model is just for comparison. a better one will be modeld far later):

In my opinion the bigger ones accually look far more realistic
aspecially when comparing to the human next to it

but we may have two problems now:
-compared to the rest arent these pylons to big now? aspecially the taller ones.(the tubular pylons are looking insanely huge now!! the pylon didnt even fit in paint lol)
-are they usable?(since wires get twice as long aswell the placement could be a bit more difficult)

anyways in terms of utility eyecandy its a big improvement

later today i will add an ingame picture

Fresh Prince of SC4D

Hey, I'm glad to see you're updating the project again buzzit. You're doing great.
Quote from: Buzzit on May 29, 2011, 05:11:40 PM

-compared to the rest arent these pylons to big now? aspecially the taller ones.(the tubular pylons are looking insanely huge now!! the pylon didnt even fit in paint lol)
-are they usable?(since wires get twice as long aswell the placement could be a bit more difficult)

Well how tall are the orginals compare to newer ( and taller) versions? Are they scaled to realistic proportions?Wikipedia said that most plyons usally range from 50 to 200 feet. In my opinion, I find the new taller plyons to be too tall but the older ones may have been slighty off too, I'm not sure. I would need measurement to figure that out.  I found more links to diagrams from the North American and British plyons and show their dimensions and measurements. The last link shows a diagram for clearance of power lines from trees and the surface. Maybe they'll help you figure if they are usable.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://newjersey.sierraclub.org/raritanvalley/issues/s-r-powerline/towers.png&imgrefurl=http://newjersey.sierraclub.org/raritanvalley/issues/s-r-powerline/index.asp&usg=__n_wI_SP8COaoWkExXzwDIJU0wOo=&h=258&w=520&sz=112&hl=en&start=52&zoom=1&tbnid=V2sWe3fk6ZHeZM:&tbnh=73&tbnw=148&ei=FfziTcSQG8rLgQe59fjWBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpower%2Bline%2Bheight%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1003%26bih%3D548%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=0&page=4&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:52&tx=95&ty=17

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.emfs.info/NR/rdonlyres/CF7FE161-C60D-4901-8755-E24AA7854ACB/0/towerdimesnions300.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.emfs.info/Sources%2Bof%2BEMFs/Overhead%2Bpower%2Blines/Calculating/geometries/&usg=__NSyVJHXIZmbxXqTqA2hKTTf4kmc=&h=491&w=300&sz=25&hl=en&start=169&zoom=1&tbnid=BljnYmBdI8CjpM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=71&ei=xwjjTZ-RJIjVgQfmwaHIBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpylon%2Btower%2Bmeasurements%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1003%26bih%3D548%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=0&page=10&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:169&tx=32&ty=53
Returning from Call of Duty . Must rebuilt what I destroyed....

Buzzit

thx for the post FPoSc
its proven usefull.
but it also blew my mind!
because i was thinking..
if a ordinary pylon of 60 meters would be 120 meter
how would this work out with river crossing pylons?
these vary from 80 to 350 meters in height!
350 meters!!(1148 ft) that would mean that the pylon had to be 700 meters!(2290 feet)
offcourse this all is just imagination at the moment and i do not even think such pylons are required in game
allthough they could be a nice eye-candy touch

anyways here's an ingame shot of the german pylon resized:

it looks quiet good if you ask me
the smaller one is indeed to small as i already thought and the bigger one seems to fit ingame

but what do you people think?

MandelSoft

Well, to my opinion, the new pylons are somewhat too large. Try something in between, like 150% increase in size instead of 200%
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Andreas

Andreas

metarvo

Unfortunately, the scale issue is something BATters continually have to fight.  It's generally agreed upon that the scale in SC4 is messed up anyway, even with Maxis-only content.  The Maxis cars are too small, for instance.  Since the typical height of my current metal pylon IRL is 120 ft. (~36.576 m), I chose to use that height and stretch it for BAT squash.

In your case, the bigger one looks best to me.  Of course, I'm not familiar with that pylon IRL, so I guess I'm basing this opinion on my opinion of other pylons.  With that being said, if the real ones are indeed 60 m high, that would be what I would go with.  I notice that that 4-story commercial office building to the left of that pic could literally fit under the wires of the larger pylon.  Does that seem realistic?  Then again, it all goes back to that dreaded Maxis scale, but it is something to consider.

Anyway, you're doing a good job, Buzzit!  Keep it up!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Fresh Prince of SC4D

I'm happy with the new one. I like it the way it is now but if you're going too resize it try and see what happens. I would suggest 166% of the original instead. Also place it next a medium apartment building if possible, that way all of us could compare the distance properly. Also I would like to suggest that you could released the small original as a 'rural' version.

As for river crossings I don't think they are necessarily that high. The highest crossing on earth is the Yangzte River Crossing at 348 meters. I strongly doubt many of us will use such a monsterous set. If youre looking to create more river crossing here's a list of spans:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spans

Also not all pylons must be raised for all waterways, just for shipping lanes;The pylons over the lake in central Almere, Flevoland are an example. You could use the orthongal piece and fit it for water crossing. Link of pic:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.360775,5.217497&spn=0,0.027423&z=15&layer=c&cbll=52.360775,5.217497&cbp=12,0,,0,0&photoid=po-22273974

Note-I forgot to add the link to the clearance diagram. Here, I hope it will help. Youre doing a great job as always!

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pge.com/includes/images/mybusiness/customerservice/otherrequests/treetrimming/tree/orchard/treetrimorchardvegzones492px.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pge.com/mybusiness/customerservice/otherrequests/treetrimming/faq/orchard/index.shtml&usg=__5Bvxm95olrPGXiHtTBsKc85Ec_c=&h=336&w=492&sz=37&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=iasSL37m-4Qf5M:&tbnh=116&tbnw=170&ei=QtHjTczyKqXV0QGousC_Bg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtransmission%2Btower%2Borchard%2Bclearance%2Bzone%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1003%26bih%3D548%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=115&vpy=89&dur=861&hovh=185&hovw=272&tx=142&ty=88&page=1&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&biw=1003&bih=548
Returning from Call of Duty . Must rebuilt what I destroyed....

MR.Y

buzzit: what do you mean with "welcome back"? do you mean in SC4 oder at home? Cause I wasn't traveling, I just took my bike and camera and drove for photografing. but still thanks.

to your pylons:
In a neibourghs town such a Line goes thrugh it, so I could take photos, if I come there the next time. I think it would be helpful.

till then

pyrointheshadows

Quote from: Buzzit on May 29, 2011, 05:11:40 PM
welcome back MR.Y
hope you had a great time there :)

so i digged a bit deeper into resizing the models
and i am shocked that i didnt noticed this earlier on.

here are some comparison shots i made:

german pylon
[IMAGE OMITTED]

older delta pylon with improved upper structure(this model is just for comparison. a better one will be modeld far later):
[IMAGE OMITTED]

In my opinion the bigger ones accually look far more realistic
aspecially when comparing to the human next to it

anyways in terms of utility eyecandy its a big improvement

later today i will add an ingame picture

I was busy looking online for height comparison diagrams to see if perhaps i can solve your dilemma... and found something kinda irrelevant, but amusing none-the-less.

http://image.bayimg.com/eaibdaadg.jpg

You were the TOP ROW - FIRST LINE of hits on Google when searching "500 KV Lattice Diagram". Figured, you'd find that amusing, buzzit lol

Zack

Is it possible that you can make power line pylons from the United States. We actually have some good pylons here in central new york thanks to the national grid

pyrointheshadows

Quote from: Zack on June 04, 2011, 01:24:31 AM
Is it possible that you can make power line pylons from the United States. We actually have some good pylons here in central new york thanks to the national grid

The current 500KV monopole / lattice pylon Project (if i'm not mistaken) is American power lines. I'm actually the one who suggested to buzzit the idea; but i lack the impressive skill and patience to develop and render such projects.  :thumbsup: (btw good job, buzzit :) ) see the first page of this thread and you will see what buzzit is doing and when it should be done.

Buzzit

thats true and i need to update it again.
its all pretty confusing for me right now lol..
i just don't know what kind of measurements i want to have
im really hard with these things as i want it as close to realism as possible
imo the biggest one look best since they are the closest towards the Real life counterparts
even though they are twice as big in simcity(since humans are aswell and so do some buildings)
as  you can see the french buildings next to the pylons they look very close to the same measurement.
also alot of new trees are much larger then the orginal maxis ones. this would make the smaller pylons look silly.
they aren't called steel giants for nothing in the UK hehe.

but then again im still concerning about the larger pylons
since those would be arround 80 100 and for the tubes 120 meters in simcity
wich is really big
with such heights i doubt alot of people would want them in game since they might think they stand out to much (compared to the rest)
i myself wouldnt mind it that much because im a pylon enthusiast.

then again the powerlines by faka (http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/18573-power-line-pack/ this pack) aspecially the 2 380kV types
are pretty much arround 120 meters aswell and they arent looking bad either.

i also like the new measurements for the medium-voltage pylons

as you can see i can add alot of more detail on the models wich make them look even better
this model doesnt have any details on the poles it self but thats something i will add later(if i figured out how to edit meshes that way)

so as i want clear out its all a bit confusing right now and i really need to think what i want with these pylons and what you guys want to see
so that we all are happy with the end result

pyrointheshadows

Quote from: Buzzit on June 04, 2011, 02:29:10 AM
thats true and i need to update it again.
its all pretty confusing for me right now lol..
i just don't know what kind of measurements i want to have
im really hard with these things as i want it as close to realism as possible
imo the biggest one look best since they are the closest towards the Real life counterparts
even though they are twice as big in simcity(since humans are aswell and so do some buildings)
as  you can see the french buildings next to the pylons they look very close to the same measurement.
also alot of new trees are much larger then the orginal maxis ones. this would make the smaller pylons look silly.
they aren't called steel giants for nothing in the UK hehe.

but then again im still concerning about the larger pylons
since those would be arround 80 100 and for the tubes 120 meters in simcity
wich is really big
with such heights i doubt alot of people would want them in game since they might think they stand out to much (compared to the rest)
i myself wouldnt mind it that much because im a pylon enthusiast.

then again the powerlines by faka (http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/18573-power-line-pack/ this pack) aspecially the 2 380kV types
are pretty much arround 120 meters aswell and they arent looking bad either.

i also like the new measurements for the medium-voltage pylons
[IMAGE OMITTED]
as you can see i can add alot of more detail on the models wich make them look even better
this model doesnt have any details on the poles it self but thats something i will add later(if i figured out how to edit meshes that way)

so as i want clear out its all a bit confusing right now and i really need to think what i want with these pylons and what you guys want to see
so that we all are happy with the end result

The lines by faka, I actually like the size of those. metarvo and mrtnrln chime in anytime here.... i agree that the size works. with the goofy sizes that maxis felt to put in plus the large trees on new plugins, there has to be a medium to make it blend in well. i would suggest scaling off of faka's lines.

... and i like your medium/low voltage lines. you should release those asap :) I want them too lol. these are the 69KV and less - the local neighborhood-ish lines right?

metarvo

Since I went with a height of 120 ft. (36.576 m) for my pylons, following the official standards for my area, I can see right now that yours are going to tower over mine if you go with 120 m.  Then again, mine are relatively short IRL anyway.  From what I hear, you've got some huge ones over there.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

MR.Y

Nice, but the german Pylons are made of wood...bur I'm looking forward to the release...

Buzzit

Quote from: pyrointheshadows on June 04, 2011, 03:22:03 AM
The lines by faka, I actually like the size of those. metarvo and mrtnrln chime in anytime here.... i agree that the size works. with the goofy sizes that maxis felt to put in plus the large trees on new plugins, there has to be a medium to make it blend in well. i would suggest scaling off of faka's lines.

... and i like your medium/low voltage lines. you should release those asap :) I want them too lol. these are the 69KV and less - the local neighborhood-ish lines right?
before i do that im going to render one of the tubular pylons just to check out the length but i will also post the shot here for you people to comment on
because i seriously have a feeling that they are a bit to much (but i may find some way inbetween)

Quote from: metarvo on June 04, 2011, 07:37:02 AM
Since I went with a height of 120 ft. (36.576 m) for my pylons, following the official standards for my area, I can see right now that yours are going to tower over mine if you go with 120 m.  Then again, mine are relatively short IRL anyway.  From what I hear, you've got some huge ones over there.

ever tryed 72 meters?(just for fun not for the project)
and you bet! the 380kV vary from 40 to 65/70 meters
http://www.vanveelen.tv/spanning/masten/index.html
this is a site wich shows  dutch powerlines as the first animation shows about every pylon of holland you can see the sizes vary
the double legged pylon(wich is imo one of the coolest looking pylons) is the largest type of holland and maybe even in europe

this also a good comparison shot for how big they should be as there's a human next to it

Quote from: MR.Y on June 04, 2011, 04:52:31 PM
Nice, but the german Pylons are made of wood...bur I'm looking forward to the release...
yes i know
and don't forget concrete and steel
lots of end pylons + some types are concrete and steel structures(not a truss tower!)

anyways only one of those french lines will be wired
but all 5 will be wireless with all kind of junctions etc
it else would take to much time and work wich i simply don't have atm

Buzzit

well i'm back home now so i'm going to remeasure and test the tubular pylon with 200% increase.

i also made something for the people who are interested
its from the same site wich you can see those dutch types of pylons
but i made a picture with them all on it + a human to compare the size

and these arent all the types
there are alot more

Buzzit

its not the best shot but here it is a shot with the tubular pylon remeasured.

imo it looks pretty good
it looks aspecially detailed on the closest zoom

MandelSoft

Nice collection of dutch power pylon models  :thumbsup:  The last one on the second picture is a very new type that is designed to minimize electro-magnetic radiation. And there are three pylon pairs quite nearby my home.

Very recognizeable for me are first and fourth pylon from the right on the first picture and the second and third from the right (which you can find all accross the Netherlands). Keep 'em coming, buzzit!  :thumbsup:
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

pyrointheshadows

Quote from: Buzzit on June 05, 2011, 01:48:05 PM
its not the best shot but here it is a shot with the tubular pylon remeasured.

imo it looks pretty good
it looks aspecially detailed on the closest zoom

THAT'S PERFECT!  &apls  :thumbsup: In Buckeye, Arizona, there is a Double-circuit 500 KV just like that, next to a recently built three story apartment complex. Compared to the 3rd story of that 4-Floor building next to the intersection in your picture, it is a precise height comparison. Go with that  ;D