• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Big Country

Started by Toichus Maximus, March 01, 2008, 02:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

szymcar

Very pleasant photographs! You are great designing countryside!

JBSimio

Quote from: sebes on May 12, 2008, 09:31:42 AM
This is what I mean:I have looked at all the pics 5x and don't find that trestle....

I meant picture f2... chances are very good that I chose the wrong word in "trestle" though!  :D

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

Simpson

Yeah... one beautiful picture
Your region is so...so.... &apls :thumbsup:
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

paroch

A nice update there Toichus.  I recently travelled on one of those Virgin trains from London to Macclesfield (near Manchester).  There was no Monkees music in the background though!

Toichus Maximus

Hey guys, really busy memorial day weekend for me, so I'll try and get you an update Monday or Tuesday this week! Sorry I've been so late with everything, but I recently started work at EMS and an internship at a nearby aquarium, so I'm completely drained.

Here's a quick update on what I've done with that rail line:

PEGs engines are huge, yes, but they're much better models, so I decided to use them anyway. Maybe a scaled down set will be released to augment the normal one--that'd be awesome!

Have a good memorial day and watch a lot of war movies!

Toichus Maximus

Alright, meantime is over. Today's song will be "Human Highway" by Neil Young, and we'll be on some nice mountain paths. I could only find (bad) covers on youtube, so here's a live performance version from a different site I found: http://www.dailymotion.com/Yedi/video/x1llt2_neil-young-human-highway-1976_music Enjoy!

g1
I come down
from the misty mountain
I got lost
on the human highway
Take my head
refreshing fountain

g2
Take my eyes
from what they've seen.
Take my head
and change my mind
How could people
get so unkind.

I come down
from the crooked mansion

g3
I went lookin'
for the D.J.'s daughter
Since that day
I heard it mentioned
That my name is on the line.
Now, my name is on the line
How could people
get so unkind.

Now, my name is on the line
How could people
get so unkind.

I come down
from the misty mountain

g4
I got lost
on the human highway
Take my head
refreshing fountain
Take my eyes
from what they've seen.

g5
Take my head
and change my mind
How could people
get so unkind.

g6

g1--View down from Hyugi Overlook, a popular local hill that has a nice path around a shallow valley and lake, then picks up into steeper trails before culminating in this overlook.
g2--The Fountainhead, source of Fountain brook. This is the most famous artesian spring in the area, said to be a place of calming for artists and thinkers. Some of The Big Country's greatest artists have painted the area from the pool.
g3--The Hyugi Mansion, established on an outcropping of Hyugi Hill. It has been the most important anthropogenic landmark of the mountains for hundreds of years.
g4--a misty trail path up Decca Summit. The mountain is the highest west of the river still in the Big Country, and is still a relatively easy day hike for novice hikers. The rewarding view has made it immensely popular, especially in the late summer months.
g5--Here is a view directly down Decca Summit. The ascent is very steep and has many switchbacks.
g6--A view of the Hyugi overlook from the front. The hill offers a nice view of the valley and the rail line. On a clear day, it is possible to see the ocean.

so there's an update for ya! Now, into replies.

Quote from: Pat on May 11, 2008, 07:15:17 PM
Loved the bridges here Toichus!!! Great job and I cant wait to the next update!!
Thanks! I hope you enjoy this one as well!

Quote from: JBSimio on May 11, 2008, 07:31:46 PM
I guess I've been lurking here long enough.  I always enjoy your pictures, and the presentation is very unique.  I really enjoy reading the lyrics and seeing what you choose to go along with them.  I especially like the night shot of the rail trestle in this update!  It's a very simple yet stunning shot.   :thumbsup:

JB
Thanks for the compliments. It's been getting increasingly hard to pick out appropriate songs for what I want to show each week. Hopefully I can keep it up with all the new work on my plate ;)

Quote from: TopCliff on May 11, 2008, 07:35:20 PM
Great waterfront area there, very realistic. I think I know of a song you could use. Ever hear Goodbye Stranger by SuperTramp? Anyways, keep up the good work and have a good time doing it too.
Hmm, I've not, but i'll look it up and try and stick it in an update if I like it well enough and can make it fit! Thanks!

Quote from: thundercrack83 on May 11, 2008, 07:43:27 PM
Absolutely stunning imagery, my friend! Those train shots are beautiful!

Keep up the good work!

Dustin
Thanks!

Quote from: sebes on May 12, 2008, 09:31:42 AM
You know - that is the best thing here: even if the pictures are not fully to my likings, I still have a pleasant stay with your choice of music !!

It's just a matter of taste: night pictures are not my favourite - probably because I don't see as much in the dark as others. The funny thing is however: I love pic f7 -the freightport - so even if this does not go with the song, it made me happy, and I am glad you posted it!!!!  :thumbsup:

This is what I mean:I have looked at all the pics 5x and don't find that trestle....
Ah, I know what you mean. I try and balance it out when I can. It's nice to show the lights sometimes, especially with the trains.

Quote from: szymcar on May 12, 2008, 12:23:37 PM
Very pleasant photographs! You are great designing countryside!

Thanks very much!

Quote from: JBSimio on May 12, 2008, 12:28:49 PM
I meant picture f2... chances are very good that I chose the wrong word in "trestle" though!  :D
Well, technically a trestle is a different kind of bridge (one with lots of interlocking underbridge supports). But a lot of people do use it to describe smaller-scale rail bridges in general :)

Quote from: Simpson on May 14, 2008, 04:26:59 AM
Yeah... one beautiful picture
Your region is so...so.... &apls :thumbsup:
Thanks, Simpson!

Quote from: paroch on May 24, 2008, 10:51:29 AM
A nice update there Toichus.  I recently travelled on one of those Virgin trains from London to Macclesfield (near Manchester).  There was no Monkees music in the background though!
lol, sweet. Hey, you should complain to your conductor next time lol. Tell him to get some rail-themed music blasting over the intercom ;)

Alright, guys, sorry about being late, again. See ya later!

Chrisadams3997

Great update, and great use of the new paths ;).  I really like G5.

Chris

bat

Fantastic work with this song! Also nice pictures there!! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the next...

Pat

I soo agree with Chris here Toichus!!! I cant wait till the next update...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

Congrats, Toichus Maximus!

- The Staff

rooker1

Congrats, Toichus Maximus on getting your MD in the OSITM.

&apls

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

bat

Congratulations on your OSITM-award!

Looking forward to more...

CasperVg

Looks lovely, I'm not too much of a fan of Peg's models, but they certainly look more realistic then the orginal ones. I like the natural setting very much.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

warszawa

You have shown some of the most realistic scenic areas in Sim City 4 that I have ever seen, it's no wonder you have won the OSITM. Well done my friend.
The update proved that your scenic area should be an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, fantastic job on the dirt paths and trees - especially the shot looking down the Decca Summit.

Alex :)
Visit my Warsaw, Poland MD.

Toichus Maximus

Hey guys, I'd just like to thank you all for the support you've shown me so I could receive this award. It means a lot to me that people enjoy this, and I always smile when reading your comments. I'm developing a special city to celebrate (I had been saving it for a special SC4D occasion)!

Thank you all, again. I'll see you shortly with an update!

Yoman

A very well deserved award. Can't wait for future updates  :thumbsup:

paroch

Hey congrats on the OSITM award Toichus, your MD is very deserving of it.

And a great country update there.  G4 and G5 were my favourite pics.  Great foggy effect and I also like your use of ChrisAdams new stuff.

quackmofro

This is a really cool MD, and the songs fit so well with the amazing scenery. I've gotta keep up more with some of these MDs. Congrats on your award!

Toichus Maximus

Alright guys, I've been working as much as I can on this, a full-time internship at the aquarium, and a part time job, and still trying to have a social life in between  :bomb: But things should be cooling down now and i should be back on some sort of schedule very soon. Aside from my personal woes, I have good news! I've finished an update (finally)!
Today we will be to the tune of Bob Dylan's Shelter From the Storm and the city and surrounding country of Kornari. Quite a great tune, really. And here we go!

h1
'Twas in another lifetime, one of toil and blood
When blackness was a virtue and the road was full of mud
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.
"Come in," she said,
"I'll give you shelter from the storm."

h2
Not a word was spoke between us, there was little risk involved
Everything up to that point had been left unresolved.
Try imagining a place where it's always safe and warm.
"Come in," she said,

h3
I was burned out from exhaustion, buried in the hail,
Poisoned in the bushes an' blown out on the trail,
Hunted like a crocodile, ravaged in the corn.

h4
"Come in," she said,

h5
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair.
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns.
"Come in," she said,

h6
Well, the deputy walks on hard nails and the preacher rides a mount
But nothing really matters much, it's doom alone that counts
And the one-eyed undertaker, he blows a futile horn.
"Come in," she said,

h7
In a little hilltop village, they gambled for my clothes
I bargained for salvation an' they gave me a lethal dose.
I offered up my innocence and got repaid with scorn.
"Come in," she said,

h8
Now there's a wall between us, somethin' there's been lost
I took too much for granted, got my signals crossed.
Just to think that it all began on a long-forgotten morn.
"Come in," she said,

h9
Well, I'm livin' in a foreign country but I'm bound to cross the line
Beauty walks a razor's edge, someday I'll make it mine.
If I could only turn back the clock to when God and her were born.
"Come in," she said,

h10

h1-Highway bridge crosses Bedrock Stream, which over time has worn down much of the hill to its sheer rock underpinnings. It is a popular place to relax on a hot summer day because of all the small pools that form in the rock on its way down the hill.

h2-The tip of Nahielo lake, the remnants of a small glacier that sat in this valley. It had formed between 13-- and 1700, but environmentalists were unconcerned as it melted--it had been a product of the Little Ice Age, and slowly rising temperatures are to be expected.

h3-The downtown of Kornari, which exhibits slightly less modern architecture than the other major cities in the area. Kornari was actually the first major city to be formed around the corporate nucleus downtown.

h4-a storm on the edge of Kornari, where bedrock stream passes through the southern limits of downtown. The street leads down to a high-wealth development along the Laforey River

h5-Kornari is a hub for regional rail, with several stations in its district. Here we cross bedrock stream near its source during a pounding storm.

h6-The high wealth development along the edge of the laforey river. The paths in the woods are extensively used by bikers and joggers in the mornings.

h7- Bedrock stream in a storm. Here you can see the distinctive geology--not that other streams don't have these formations, but none have them in such quantities and concentrations.

h8-the highway takes a 90 degree turn along the edge of the Laforey River to cross the Napatune Brook, a notable river because of its relative length compared to most streams in The Big Country. The Napatune travels through several other townships as well.

h9-Nahielo lake, with a popular hiking trail skirting its edge. The trail leads up to the mountains around the lake and offers excellent views down the valley towards Kornari and the Laforey river.

h10-Downtown Kornari again, with the distinctive cobble path following the edge of the wall. Sunset views of the Laforey are often best taken from places along this cobble path.

Thats it for now, guys--I'll see you all later! Enjoy!

TopCliff

Dude, you are awesome for your use of RHW and you are an awesome chopper for being able to create such realistic rain. Say, in the fourth picture down, could I get a link to that huge diagonal silver building? Great work here, excellent. Your cities look insanely real, more real than I could ever do.
Best movie of all time: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. If you disagree, Cameron will send your car over a cliff.

Please, call me Leo.  I quote John Lennon now, a great musician and philosopher. Particularly, one of his songs: You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you join us, and the world will live as one.