• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j-dub

What TR said, its just from this angle, that hill before the tunnel looks kind of like a sudden, sharp drop. The opposite end where the avenue raises up the hill looks more realistic You may be able to adjust the hill up front with the rail tool. However, I am sure you will have an interesting amount of traffic on that highway, once you later develop the bottom of that picture.

Strategist01

@TR and J-dub: Hey, thanks for that.

Yeah, from this angle it does look like a sharp drop, however it is exactly the same as on the other side of the intersection. I had used the 15m hole diggers, as that seems to cover everything and because the terrain wasn't as smooth as I would have liked, I wasn't sure if the 10m would work. The 15m is sorta my go to for all depth ;D

Oh, and don't worry about the highway traffic, I plan to keep this suburban for this tile, there is a nice little RHW4 trumpet interchange far down to the corner to the left which will carry traffic out towards my planned high tech and bigger residential cities.

Haljackey

Hmm... which should I keep?

This?

Or this?

And yes, I agree a slope mod goes a long way. Anyone looking to create some realistic interchanges should get one. The RHW slope mod works wonders for overpass approaches, the bullet train slope mod is my favorite for general terrain navigation.

Kevin1a

I have an interesting interchange challenge for anyone willing to participate.  Using the RHW inside exit/entrance pieces, it should be possible to simulate LHD highways in a RHD install.  While this alone, might be kind of fun to play with, it also means we can simulate boarder crossings between RHD and LHD countries, at least when it comes to highways.

The challenge: build an intersection at a simulated RHD/LHD border, and post it for everyone to enjoy!

Also, for anyone else who is fascinated by LHD/RHD issues, read this article on Dagen-H, the day Sweden switched from left to right hand driving!
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Dagen_H

@Haljacky: I think the signalized intersection with slip lanes fits better in an industrial area.  Traffic engineers, at least in the US, avoid rotaries in areas where trucks travel because of the large turning radius.  It makes little difference with a circle that large, but I still think it looks a little out of place.  Never thought I'd ever find myself advising against a roundabout. :D

Exla357

@Haljackey: The first option. The roundabout (or traffic circle, whatever you guys call it up in Canada) looks good but can handle much volume. Speaking of slip lane intersections, are the slip lane pieces even pathed??? Because my cars vanish when they use them and the DrawPaths cheat doesn't show pathing on them.

@Kevin 1a: I'm on it!

jacksunny

@Haljackey: I like the first one better, the intersection. It fits in better with the surrounding area.

@Exla357: I don't think the slip lanes are pathed, they are just meant for eye candy.

GDO29Anagram

@Exla357: The slip lanes ARE functional. There's a fix for the slip lanes on the TuLEPs thread at the end of Tarkus's sticky post. http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=8460.480

@jacksunny: Eyecandy?!! That's what they said about the 6S, ARD3, and OWR3. :D
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Dexist

samerton

Quote from: Strategist01 on April 11, 2011, 12:01:35 PM
Ok I have improved my diagonal highway by sinking the avenue, and added as many pieces of smooth curves where I can. I don't mind not having them, as they are aesthetically irrelevant. I think this interchange looks better though, thanks samerton :)

That's definitely looking a lot better  :thumbsup:

@ Haljackey: I think the first interchange with the slip lanes would be more suitable for the industrial area.
@ Dexist: Nice! I like the use of the FLUP's.

Exla357

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on April 12, 2011, 03:57:54 PM
@Exla357: The slip lanes ARE functional. There's a fix for the slip lanes on the TuLEPs thread at the end of Tarkus's sticky post. http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=8460.480

Thank you very much!

Paul 999

Pictures of my new creations,

Do you wane see more, see my mayor diaries.
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=10855.180

samerton

@ Paul 999: Very nice interchanges!  :thumbsup:

Haljackey

Paul 999: Nice use of 90 degree curves!

One from me:

samerton

@ Haljackey: Very nice simple interchange in a great urban environment!

Exla357

Paul 999: Nice use of Flexfly, I think the euro textures in that interchange really give it a nice feel. One thing I would suggest would be a slope mod to achieve realistic grading!
Ryan (Haljackey): Great to see more content from you! Would it be possible to move that overpass two or three tiles to the right to allow for RHW smooth curves? Just a thought. Looking forward to more!
-Alex

Haljackey

Quote from: Exla357 on April 18, 2011, 01:16:20 PM

Would it be possible to move that overpass two or three tiles to the right to allow for RHW smooth curves? Just a thought.

This particular junction was actually built before smooth curves came out.

I did do a few modifications on it but it involved straightening out the RHW rather than curving it. See these images below:

Same skyline as the picture in my last post.

Zoom out:

And the old stuff.

First built way back when.

Zoning. Notice the crappy curve by the onramp :P

Exla357

Haljackey: Ooooh ok it's from Witburg, that makes sense. Looks good.

c0rnh0li0

GDO29Anagram

@Haljackey: Somehow I knew that that subdivision looked familiar... ;)
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Risu

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on April 18, 2011, 02:18:09 PM
@Haljackey: Somehow I knew that that subdivision looked familiar... ;)
Yeah, I'd recognise his style anywhere! ;)