• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune

its nice... reminds me of a turbine.
~ NAM Team Member

ps2owner

Haljackey

Quote from: joshua43214 on September 17, 2011, 05:40:14 PM
Like many of us, I spent a bunch of time going through the RHW tutorial thread after the release of NAM 30 looking for inspiration. Near the end of the thread is a cool video of an intersection called Pinavia, and someone said they didn't think it had ever been tried by anyone. I seriously doubt I am the first one to make this thing

First of all, amazing interchange. That's some heavy use of elevated MIS!  :thumbsup:

Secondly, that junction has been created in SC4 just once or twice before, at least to my knowledge.

Finally a comment about that junction. While it is only two levels, free flowing and cheap to build, the speeds on the route are significantly reduced due to all the curves. Even the through routes have to curve which affects capacity. In addition it also takes up a mammoth footprint... if it was any smaller cars and trucks would be skidding on the thing even with very low posted speeds.

-----

So I went a little overboard and did another overview of one of my cities. This one is more transit-related, but it does feature heavily used intersections and an interchange just for bullet trains!

http://www.youtube.com/v/wObKEydGXmk

More info and HD playback via Youtube. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wObKEydGXmk

Enjoy!

GDO29Anagram

The Pinavia is what I personally call a giant antiweave Roundabout/Rotary interchange, with a roundabout in the center. Rather hypnotic to stare at, though.

And I made one, too. Apparently I made this one during RHW 5.0's development and had realised I hadn't shown it off 'til now.

<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Risu

Woah, that is dizzying.... @.@"

One thing I don't get is how you guise can keep track of all the kinds of intersections, how each one works, and that you can identify them easily. That must require serious linear thinking, soemthing I haven't trained myself in.

Kevin1a

This "Pinavia" interchange looks like a grade separated turbo roundabout to me.  Google "turbo roundabout" if you want a picture of the kind of lane organization I'm talking about.  The basic idea is that if you get in the innermost lane, it gets pushed one lane out for every exit you pass thus defeating the problems that often arise as a result of cars turning across traffic in the outer lanes when exiting a multi-lane roundabout.  These motorway implementations of the concept are even better because they not only remove the conflict when exiting the intersection, but also use bridges to bring entering traffic into the appropriate lanes for their chosen exit road.

McDuell's Pinavia (Reply #2469 in this thread) is still my favourite, but both implementations on this page are excellent as well.  Congratulations to all of you.

For extra mind-blowing traffic geek points, imagine how crazy it would get with 5+ roads and one or more of the exits including some kind of crossover for access from a LHD country on the other side of the nearby border!  Madness!  ;D

twist2172

Haljackey,

Just wanted to let you how much I love watching your videos.  Your transportation system in all your cities is truly incredible and very inspirational towards my cities.  I am a huge fan of region shots, and I think there's a region shot of one of your older regions around here somewhere, but I was wondering if you didn't mind posting a current picture of your region. 

Otherwise, keep those video's rolling!

- twist2172

Haljackey

Awesome Pinavia GDO29Anagram! Look at the size of that thing!

Quote from: twist2172 on September 18, 2011, 03:43:15 PM
Haljackey,

Just wanted to let you how much I love watching your videos.  Your transportation system in all your cities is truly incredible and very inspirational towards my cities.  I am a huge fan of region shots, and I think there's a region shot of one of your older regions around here somewhere, but I was wondering if you didn't mind posting a current picture of your region. 

Otherwise, keep those video's rolling!

- twist2172

Thanks a lot! To answer your questions, HERE is the region shot I think you are looking for.
-I really don't do regions much anymore, due to the fact that my SC4 data has become nearly corrupted. Most of my older regions are missing several tiles due to this and look, shall we say, odd.
-These days I mostly work tile by tile without any region formality. I'm in the process of developing cities in a new region, but it pretty much looks empty aside from a few developed tiles.

Speaking of videos, I made a quick one giving you a tour of the RHW 5.0 interchange I showcased on the last page.

I find that UDI videos are the best way to showcase large interchanges. Have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/v/ixpjNtKXj3g

More info and HD playback via Youtube. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixpjNtKXj3g

joshua43214

Quote from: Haljackey on September 17, 2011, 09:02:54 PM
Quote from: joshua43214 on September 17, 2011, 05:40:14 PM
Like many of us, I spent a bunch of time going through the RHW tutorial thread after the release of NAM 30 looking for inspiration. Near the end of the thread is a cool video of an intersection called Pinavia, and someone said they didn't think it had ever been tried by anyone. I seriously doubt I am the first one to make this thing

First of all, amazing interchange. That's some heavy use of elevated MIS!  :thumbsup:

Secondly, that junction has been created in SC4 just once or twice before, at least to my knowledge.

Finally a comment about that junction. While it is only two levels, free flowing and cheap to build, the speeds on the route are significantly reduced due to all the curves. Even the through routes have to curve which affects capacity. In addition it also takes up a mammoth footprint... if it was any smaller cars and trucks would be skidding on the thing even with very low posted speeds.

Thank you for the kind words.

The more I thought about the interchange and played with it, the more impressed I actually became with it. So I will discuss some of it's pros and cons.

Size: it is comparable in size to a conventional RHW cloverleaf with one very important difference - the center area is usable. This is a bypass interchange, it's purpose is to provide access to the center area while providing a bypass option for those not wanting access.
The picture I posted is really about as small as it can be made, It could be made 2 tiles smaller easily enough, but it losses its nice symmetry and you have stability issues building it. not a problem if you are willing to redraw stuff alot. The thing is actually remarkably easy to make.
The foot print can be reduced even more by merging the ground mis ramps. This however moves much of of the merging from the ground highway portion to the ramp portion. As it stands now, all dividing of traffic and merging is done on the approach.

Single lane: This interchange is based on a potentially faulty premise - that all directions of travel are equally desirable. In other words, it has one lane of traffic that is diverted to the each cardinal direction. This also means that the approach is RHW-8 and needs a fair amount of space to merge down to RHW-4. How ever, there is alot of flexibility in doing this and one can actually just approach with RHW-4 and use regular exits - which is fine for a low traffic situation, but not recommended for a high volume.

Curves: aside from the 90 degree ground to elevated Mis ramps at the beginning of each ramp, the curves are all 45 degrees.

Since this is actually a specialty interchange, comparing it to regular 4-way interchanges is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. So I decided to make a non-bypassing version where through traffic is preferred and diverging traffic is single lane ramps. This is the more typical RHW interchange we use.

I plopped a Maxis cloverleaf for scale, as you can see its way smaller than the typical RHW cloverleaf (you can almost put the Maxis one inside each leaf in a RHW one), and comparable in size to the compact cloverleaf options.
I also used three different styles of collector to show its flexibility.

And the one I made before with the Empire State building for scale

As you can see, there is alot of usable space inside. I would suggest actually making it bigger and using for a central city bypass in a biggish small city. That way RHW-4 could make the approach to the center and convert to AVE-4 rather than AVE-2. This can also be modified so that through traffic uses ERHW-4, but since we have no curving ground to elevated ramp, part of it will have to remain on the ground for a greater distance.

It's a really cool looking interchange, but has many tradeoffs. I suspect I will start using the non-bypassing system in my cities due to its compactness and ease of building. Thank you NAM team for making this interchange possible!

I will try to put together a tutorial on building it.

kassarc16

Just a quick surface interchange between an avenue and a Limited-Access Expressway ringing the main island of Fort Algonquin (New York-ish map).

Late on a quiet night just down the road; a T-intersection, with the Expressway right and down, and the island side of the Green Point Tunnel to the left.
A much bigger interchange was planned here, but space was at a premium that close to the river.

Quick question for anyone in the know. Are there supposed to be light cones on those stoplight props, or does it have something to do with "Uniform Lighting" mod not being updated for the TLA7?

Max pic size is 1024 wide. Robin

MandelSoft

No, those stoplight props never had any kind of light cones...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Swordmaster

An interchange between an 8-lane and a 10-lane freeway, built with the specific goal of keeping this number of lanes throughout (through traffic prevails here). Exits (outer lanes) and entrances (inner) are separated, meaning there's no weaving.

I guess it's a cloverstack, but not being much of a roadgeek, I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

On top you can see a simulated double-deck bridge, by the way.

j-dub

cowcorn

Quote from: McDuell on September 08, 2011, 12:19:33 PM
Some more pictures from my collection. They won't be as complex as usual (well, most of them ;)).

Pinavia revisited: A diag-diag version.

Just oustanding... For some reaso I can't find that diagonal RHW-4 ramp. Would care to shed some light on my search?

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on September 17, 2011, 10:41:22 PM
The Pinavia is what I personally call a giant antiweave Roundabout/Rotary interchange, with a roundabout in the center. Rather hypnotic to stare at, though.

And I made one, too. Apparently I made this one during RHW 5.0's development and had realised I hadn't shown it off 'til now.

Maybe less elegant than McDuel's version this is very functional and scalable. I like that you made the through traffic lanes RHW-4. This roughly the result I was trying to get before I posted the Pinavia video to the tutorial thread. It would really be interesting to see how you built it...

The way I would apply it in game, even though it might not be visualy as appealing, would be to make the roads in the center AVE-4 since the mis and the AVE-4 have roughly the same capacity. Therefore I would build it so that the center is bigger; with some kind of suburban office park type of development.

jdenm8

For the Pinavia, they're not Diagonal ramps at all. The images has been flipped horizontally to give that illusion.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

cowcorn

Haljackey

Made my first parclo with RHW 5.0

(Next time I'll make the loops a little bigger to allow for a RHW-8 type F transition)

Haljackey

The makings of an interchange. Need to ensure everything is spaced right.

Click for full size.

Risu

Quote from: Haljackey on September 21, 2011, 07:10:55 PM
Made my first parclo with RHW 5.0

(Next time I'll make the loops a little bigger to allow for a RHW-8 type F transition)

Oh wow, I really like this. ;D

ivo_su

Here is  a picture of my first  clover made ​​thanks to the RHW 5.0
Occupies space in a hyper-urbanized areas, and I hope that will alleviate traffic. Soon I will show you other interesting intersections.

Full  respect for the NAM team
- Ivo