• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metarvo

Hmmm.  ()stsfd()  Until I read the descriptions, I was convinced the lower one was the one you built in game, because it has those light towers which you like to use.  The top one doesn't have any, so it couldn't have been built in game, or could it?  ::)  In any case, nice work Hal! 
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Haljackey

Quote from: metarvo on October 30, 2011, 12:34:53 PM
Hmmm.  ()stsfd()  Until I read the descriptions, I was convinced the lower one was the one you built in game, because it has those light towers which you like to use.  The top one doesn't have any, so it couldn't have been built in game, or could it?  ::)  In any case, nice work Hal!

Ha! Yeah I didn't include high mast lighting this time because I was showcasing this image elsewhere. Thought they may have been distracting or cluttering so you couldn't see the roads themselves.

Anyways I have a video to share. It's a drive to a city's downtown where I showcase a AVE-6 'expressway' and a wide RHW network with some realistic interchanges. Once I arrive downtown, a medley of intersections are showcased, including content released in the latest versions of the NAM, TuLEP and NWM.

http://www.youtube.com/v/p--KDd-Xh4A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p--KDd-Xh4A

I also did a night version, if you're interested in that here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLZCizukrLU (Different route taken into downtown)

Haljackey

O_o Double posting!

Nah don't worry I have a reason for doing such a thing. I've recreated a very strange interchange in Simcity 4.

Click for full size. And yes, I did include high mast lighting this time.  :P

It's inspired by the 403-407 ETR junction here in Southern Ontario. Here's a pic of it in RL:

Anyone have a name for this interchange type?  ()what()

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Haljackey on October 30, 2011, 09:58:45 PM
Anyone have a name for this interchange type?  ()what()

The basic shape is a cloverstack, but the two highways involved aren't going straight; They're curved. There's a similar interchange in Phoenix, Arizona in which the highway (Interstate 10) is curved.

The best adjectives I can give are "Offset" and "Curved". So maybe a Curved Main-route Cloverstack? But since the two routes are both curved (and resemble a conic section), maybe something with an even more exotic name: A Hyperbolic-Route Cloverstack?
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Swordmaster

Well, you really keep surpassing yourself, Ryan. That one might be the best I've seen from you so far! The complete disregard towards conserving space surely helps.

metarvo

The interchange looks splendid and is fully functional as well.  Good job!  :thumbsup:
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.

MandelSoft

Interchanges look so much better when you use smooth curves everywhere...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Haljackey

Quote from: Tarkus on October 30, 2011, 11:07:34 PM
A TOTSO Cloverstack?

I should know what this means but I don't.  :-[

Quote from: Swordmaster on October 31, 2011, 05:34:12 AM
The complete disregard towards conserving space surely helps.

lol! Well there's not much I can do when it comes to examples like the one above. If you're modelling real interchanges along with using smooth curves and proper slopes, the size is going to get big.
-Besides I'm from Canada. No real space issues up here so I carry this to my Simcity creations. :P

noahclem

Awesome intersection Haljackey, extremely well done!  &apls &apls

The only thing I'd suggest is using MMPs instead of lot-based flora.

Quote from: Haljackey on October 31, 2011, 10:01:27 AM
Quote from: Tarkus on October 30, 2011, 11:07:34 PM
A TOTSO Cloverstack?

I should know what this means but I don't.  :-[

Turn Off To Stay On

Quote from: Swordmaster on October 31, 2011, 05:34:12 AM
The complete disregard towards conserving space surely helps.

lol! Well there's not much I can do when it comes to examples like the one above. If you're modelling real interchanges along with using smooth curves and proper slopes, the size is going to get big.
-Besides I'm from Canada. No real space issues up here so I carry this to my Simcity creations. :P

Compactness is over-rated!  ;D

mike3775

I love Haljackey's interchanges, a few times I really want to build some of those huge monstrosities but unfortunately I rarely get the traffic needed to build them, and then when their is enough traffic, I have to use eminent domain on my sims, which then causes them to vote against me in the next elections  :)

Floydian

Quote from: mike3775 on October 31, 2011, 11:33:52 AM
I love Haljackey's interchanges, a few times I really want to build some of those huge monstrosities but unfortunately I rarely get the traffic needed to build them, and then when their is enough traffic, I have to use eminent domain on my sims, which then causes them to vote against me in the next elections  :)

City residents get angry and form NIMBY protests.
Rural residents... well boy... you don't wanna be splittin' them farms in half.

Them city folks have voices, but them rural folk have heavy machinery ;)

Floydian

Quote from: Haljackey on October 30, 2011, 06:06:36 PM
[YOUTUBE]

Is it just me, or does the police car appear to fire a van like a missile at 1:56? I really like some of the big buildings you have in here. I think I need to go on a downloading binge.

Swordmaster

Quote from: Haljackey on October 31, 2011, 10:01:27 AMlol! Well there's not much I can do when it comes to examples like the one above. If you're modelling real interchanges along with using smooth curves and proper slopes, the size is going to get big.

Well, years of SC2K/SC3K playing deeply instilled a lack-of-space-sentiment in me that bears its mark even on my most recent SC4 creations. But I'm happy that after all these years, there's still a lot of things to learn for me.

I'm now toying around with dobdriver's giant Toronto map (96x96), which, space-wise, feels like paradise to me.   :)

apeguy

Very interesting interchange Hal, I've never seen one like that in RL, they must be quite rare. I only know of 2 possible TOTSO interchanges here in the UK. The first one is a turbine interchange where the M62 turns off to the left onto the M60 Manchester Orbital and joins it at junction 12, whereas going straight the motorway becomes the M602. Later on down the M60 at junction 18, the M62 diverges from it, and you have to turn off to stay on M60, as going straight on the motorway reverts back to the M62. Keep in mind that this section of the M60 used to be the M62, so between junctions 12 and 18 they should be considered the same motorway.

M62-M60 Junction 12: http://www.google.co.uk/maps?ll=53.488148,-2.376008&spn=0.009601,0.027788&t=h&z=16&vpsrc=6

M60-M62 Junctions 18: http://www.google.co.uk/maps?ll=53.549602,-2.261081&spn=0.009587,0.027788&t=h&z=16&vpsrc=6

I'm not sure if these interchanges would be classed as TOTSO or not, because of the concurrency between the M60 and M62. ()what()

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

Gurning_Chimp

Quote from: apeguy on October 31, 2011, 05:10:32 PM
Very interesting interchange Hal, I've never seen one like that in RL, they must be quite rare. I only know of 2 possible TOTSO interchanges here in the UK. The first one is a turbine interchange where the M62 turns off to the left onto the M60 Manchester Orbital and joins it at junction 12, whereas going straight the motorway becomes the M602. Later on down the M60 at junction 18, the M62 diverges from it, and you have to turn off to stay on M60, as going straight on the motorway reverts back to the M62. Keep in mind that this section of the M60 used to be the M62, so between junctions 12 and 18 they should be considered the same motorway.

M62-M60 Junction 12: http://www.google.co.uk/maps?ll=53.488148,-2.376008&spn=0.009601,0.027788&t=h&z=16&vpsrc=6

M60-M62 Junctions 18: http://www.google.co.uk/maps?ll=53.549602,-2.261081&spn=0.009587,0.027788&t=h&z=16&vpsrc=6

I'm not sure if these interchanges would be classed as TOTSO or not, because of the concurrency between the M60 and M62. ()what()

I don't think they're TOTSO's seeing as you carry on straight to stay on those routes.

P.S Hello fellow Mancunian?  :thumbsup:

Haljackey

Quote from: noahclem on October 31, 2011, 10:18:15 AM
Awesome intersection Haljackey, extremely well done!  &apls &apls

The only thing I'd suggest is using MMPs instead of lot-based flora.

Now there's another term that I don't know. What does MMP stand for?

Thanks for the suggestion. I like to plop things so I have control. That way I know when something gets into the view of the roads but I'm always ready to try something else.

Quote from: mike3775 on October 31, 2011, 11:33:52 AM

Well I really don't build these things for a specific purpose, but sometimes I'll develop around it. (Just check two pages back for an example.)

Thanks guys for all the comments! Due to all the feedback I am in the process of making a video of the junction above.

-Ryan (Haljackey)

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Haljackey on October 31, 2011, 07:21:30 PM
Now there's another term that I don't know. What does MMP stand for?

Mayor Mode Plop, if I'm not mistaken. It's a prop item modified into a flora item.

And here's an example: Flora-based water and logs, plus a few green specks that are supposed to be lily pads.
<INACTIVE>
-----

metarvo

What's most interesting there to me, though, is the texture of the RHW and Avenue.  Could this be DarkPhalt?  ;)

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: metarvo on October 31, 2011, 08:43:59 PM
What's most interesting there to me, though, is the texture of the RHW and Avenue.  Could this be DarkPhalt?  ;)

Maybe... $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

The set I've created thus far isn't what I would call "compliant"; Everything is either narrowed or widened so the paths might not align properly, and the other concern is filesize (These are actually HD textures).

The DarkPhalt textures as shown from old RHW development pictures were created using a script that darkens (or concrete-ifies, if you want concrete textures) the default textures. The stuff you're seeing is generated from scratch.
<INACTIVE>
-----