• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike3775

Quote from: Haljackey on October 31, 2011, 07:21:30 PM
Quote from: mike3775 on October 31, 2011, 11:33:52 AM
I love Haljackey's interchanges, a few times I really want to build some of those huge monstrosities but unfortunately I rarely get the traffic needed to build them, and then when their is enough traffic, I have to use eminent domain on my sims, which then causes them to vote against me in the next elections  :)

Well I really don't build these things for a specific purpose, but sometimes I'll develop around it. (Just check two pages back for an example.)

Thanks guys for all the comments! Due to all the feedback I am in the process of making a video of the junction above.

-Ryan (Haljackey)

Yeah that pic with development around was pretty sweet.  I always try to lay the main highway first, as I like to only use them for road neighbor connections, and use rail/el-rail/subway(I never have luck with buses going to neighbors though) as the rest to satisfy caps, and a few times I have had to pause the game, redo highway interchanges because the MIS lane turned green(never got above 100% on the color code though no matter how long I left it) and once I actually had to tear out a highway because no matter what I did, they absolutely refused to take the bypass highway I had built even though it came to an end near the one that was maxed out for the most part.  One of these days I gotta remember to take pictures of the interchanges I create, but first I gotta learn how to turn the grid off for them  :)

Nanami

well just the layout:
Cisarua exit of Cikaas-Pondok Daun Highway:

Swordmaster

Quote from: mike3775 on October 31, 2011, 10:06:53 PMOne of these days I gotta remember to take pictures of the interchanges I create, but first I gotta learn how to turn the grid off for them  :)

Pressing "G" should do the trick  ;)

mike3775

Quote from: Swordmaster on November 01, 2011, 05:17:39 AM
Quote from: mike3775 on October 31, 2011, 10:06:53 PMOne of these days I gotta remember to take pictures of the interchanges I create, but first I gotta learn how to turn the grid off for them  :)

Pressing "G" should do the trick  ;)

Thanks. 

Haljackey

Cool interchange 976! I like how one of the ramps goes under the RHW to hook up with the avenue on the other side. We don't see many of those here.

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on October 31, 2011, 07:38:03 PM
Quote from: Haljackey on October 31, 2011, 07:21:30 PM
Now there's another term that I don't know. What does MMP stand for?

Mayor Mode Plop, if I'm not mistaken. It's a prop item modified into a flora item.

Ah, thanks for that. I'm not really sure how they will incorporate to my designs, as I still use some plops like the light towers which cause 'wealth' textures to appear on the nearby section of RHW. Still, it's worth a shot.

Quote from: Haljackey on October 31, 2011, 10:18:15 AM

Thanks guys for all the comments! Due to all the feedback I am in the process of making a video of the junction above.

...And I've done just that. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/v/Hn8vhq88nKU

Link for more info and HD playback: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn8vhq88nKU

apeguy

Quote from: Gurning_Chimp on October 31, 2011, 06:07:24 PM
P.S Hello fellow Mancunian?  :thumbsup:

Actually I live down south in Surrey, and I'm from London. ;)

I haven't uploaded a pic in a while, so here's a small one from me:

I guess this would be a half-trumpet or a partial Y.

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

mike3775

Quote from: apeguy on November 01, 2011, 10:09:46 AM
Quote from: Gurning_Chimp on October 31, 2011, 06:07:24 PM
P.S Hello fellow Mancunian?  :thumbsup:

Actually I live down south in Surrey, and I'm from London. ;)

I haven't uploaded a pic in a while, so here's a small one from me:

I guess this would be a half-trumpet or a partial Y.

Nice one. 

Here is one from me, I am hoping the residents that live below this interchange will divert from the road leading into the CBD (the road turns into an Avenue currently with room for expansion into a 3 lane network planned out already) to take the 6 lane highway that leads directly into the Avenue in the heart of the CBD currently.  The neighbor RHW-10(originally it had a curve where the interchange is at) currently has a connection to the neighbors to the south and East but those cities have not yet been started, I want to get this city up to 50K before I start another city.  No eye candy yet

Carny

Quote from: j-dub on October 29, 2011, 08:00:00 PM
@Carny, Glad you could join in, its great to have you here. Way to go with your first intersection. Looking good and realistic. :thumbsup:

Thanks J-dub. :)

Quote from: Haljackey on October 29, 2011, 08:08:02 PM
Very cool Carny! Nice use of the FARMIS pieces!
Thanks Haljackey. I have to say that looking your videos on youtube more than one year ago, i "discovered the new world" of the NAM project after years without playing Simcity. So double thanks for that. :)

Now some new pics, this time from an urban area.
A panoramic view..

and a detailed image of the interchange

I have always a space problems with my intersections, so often i have to compact them.
Hope you like it! :)

io_bg

I certainly do! Looks great! :thumbsup:
P.S. it's also quite inspiring ::) ;D
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

art128

I also like it very much.. I wonder why I'm so bad at building compact interchange... When I see this kind of art work it makes me jealous.. :P
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

mike3775

Quote from: art128 on November 02, 2011, 09:40:46 AM
I also like it very much.. I wonder why I'm so bad at building compact interchange... When I see this kind of art work it makes me jealous.. :P

I'm the same way.  I can build huge intersections with no issues, but trying to get a compact interchange going, I can never accomplish it. 

I love that interchange

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: art128 on November 02, 2011, 09:40:46 AM

Quote from: mike3775 on November 02, 2011, 09:53:26 AM
I'm the same way.  I can build huge intersections with no issues, but trying to get a compact interchange going, I can never accomplish it. 

Well, the best way to construct a compact interchange is on completely flat ground. It's also a good idea to know how big each piece is. For example, each of the flyovers take up a 4x4 space, and you could build an 8x8 circle out of four of them. Unless there are other restrictions, it isn't necessary to have a 1-tile gap between two adjacent FlexFlys.

I would also advise turning on the grid for those kinds of operations; You'd be walking blind without it.

One other key strategy is this: The starters on certain RHW pieces can be removed without any RUL editing. The easiest to remove are the RHW-4, MIS, L2 RHW-4, and L2 MIS starters. The RHW-4 to MIS transition, for example, takes up a 4x1 footrprint, but by strategically removing the starters, the footprint size can be cut in half.

1. MIS to RHW-4 transition.
2. RHW-2 drawn perpendicularly through each starter.
3. Remove the perpendicular stubs on one side.
4. Repeat for the other side.

An example of such an application can be shown here:

Disregarding the length of the turn lanes, this is the most compact SPUI that can currently be made. DRIs operate on INRUL triggers and they'll take on whatever RHW width they're attached to, so long as there's an active override. However, it can't operate if the starter is too close, which is where the method of "destarterfication" comes in (and if you look closely, I used that method for the L0 to L2 RHW-4 transitions and the RHW-4 to MIS transitions).
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Gurning_Chimp

This is my first serious foray into RHW, just next to the small village of Oakwood.

mike3775

Quote from: Gurning_Chimp on November 02, 2011, 09:52:33 PM
This is my first serious foray into RHW, just next to the small village of Oakwood.

Nice, but I would replace the T portion of the mis with the RHW-2 D1 folded ramp(18 clicks with the tab key on the interchange button), this way you remove the 90 degree turn and traffic can freely flow onto the RHW

Swordmaster

Quote from: mike3775 on November 03, 2011, 04:22:48 AM
Nice, but I would replace the T portion of the mis with the RHW-2 D1 folded ramp(18 clicks with the tab key on the interchange button), this way you remove the 90 degree turn and traffic can freely flow onto the RHW

I think traffic would end up going the wrong way then. :)

Which is why trumpets exist:

Abhinav

Here are some of interchanges i made today.

This one is almost on edge of a downtown. Had to do serious re-zoning. Its a medium tile. Got 400k jobs and 200k residents :) Made the area 4-5 years back when there was no RHW. Restarted the game few days back. Saw Haljackey's guides and learnt.(Big thank you for him) Not pro like but good enough for me :)

This one is of the city i started in the noon today..Its gonna be a medium tile suburb. :)

Gurning_Chimp

Quote from: mike3775 on November 03, 2011, 04:22:48 AM
Quote from: Gurning_Chimp on November 02, 2011, 09:52:33 PM

Good thinking Batman! I completely forgot about the D1 folded!

mike3775

Thats one of my favorite's to use where space is really limited or when I simply want a quick easy on/easy off down the road from a clogged exit.  Plop one of those in and a within a few moments, a traffic shift occurs and the transportation advisor finally shuts up  lol

Gurning_Chimp

Ha ha! I'm still very much a newbie when it comes to RHW and also even NAM! But I have a plan, RHW is going to be used for the highways in the country side and Maxis Highway is being used in the cities.

mike3775

Quote from: Gurning_Chimp on November 03, 2011, 10:29:13 AM
Ha ha! I'm still very much a newbie when it comes to RHW and also even NAM! But I have a plan, RHW is going to be used for the highways in the country side and Maxis Highway is being used in the cities.

I'm also relatively new to RHW, for the longest time, I get mad when I couldn't plop an interchange exit after spending the time building the exit(not realizing that some you have to bulldoze where the exit ramp is going), and would go back to MHW's.  Now I only use RHW for everything and when building interchanges and exits, I actually plan for the future when traffic will pick up(like if a road is going to have an interchange, I go ahead and build as an avenue and go back to 2 lane road like is used in some intersections here)