• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your...Intersections

Started by sanantonio, January 23, 2007, 05:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

Quote from: Swordmaster on November 03, 2011, 04:54:35 AM
Quote from: mike3775 on November 03, 2011, 04:22:48 AM
Nice, but I would replace the T portion of the mis with the RHW-2 D1 folded ramp(18 clicks with the tab key on the interchange button), this way you remove the 90 degree turn and traffic can freely flow onto the RHW

I think traffic would end up going the wrong way then. :)

Which is why trumpets exist:

That is one nice trumpet there, Swordmaster! I may be copying it on my own purpose! :P

I also have a question, how do you deal when you have your MIS ramp transformed into standard RHW 2 ?
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Risu

Quote from: Gurning_Chimp on November 03, 2011, 10:29:13 AMHa ha! I'm still very much a newbie when it comes to RHW and also even NAM! But I have a plan, RHW is going to be used for the highways in the country side and Maxis Highway is being used in the cities.
I consider myself an "advanced-beginner" player. I can use NAM, NWM, and RHW decently.

This is my strategy for RHW. In my farm-based towns, I use RHW-4. In suburbian cities, I use RHW-6C. And in my high-density, transit-reliant metropolies, I use RHW-8C.

Of course, the only important challenge facing me right now, is how to constuct interchanges! Yes, I often have trouble with that, so I frequently examine others' creations to gain inspiration.

io_bg

Quote from: art128 on November 03, 2011, 10:50:41 AMI also have a question, how do you deal when you have your MIS ramp transformed into standard RHW 2 ?
MIS filler pieces ::)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

art128

Quote from: io_bg on November 03, 2011, 11:01:34 AM
Quote from: art128 on November 03, 2011, 10:50:41 AMI also have a question, how do you deal when you have your MIS ramp transformed into standard RHW 2 ?
MIS filler pieces ::)

I might be a total numb, but where are they ? :P I was searching for them like ... from a month now but never found them in ANY menu.

Props & Texture Catalog

io_bg

They're in the RHW starter pieces TAB ring :)

shinkansen1

Well, this is the very first official interchange that I made when I had the RHW mod installed. It does look ridiculously blocky, but I was trying to make it as compact as possible. For a first-time intersection, that probably wasn't a very good goal.  :-[

I apologize if the image size is not correct for this forum.

mike3775

Quote from: shinkansen1 on November 03, 2011, 12:36:08 PM
Well, this is the very first official interchange that I made when I had the RHW mod installed. It does look ridiculously blocky, but I was trying to make it as compact as possible. For a first-time intersection, that probably wasn't a very good goal.  :-[

I apologize if the image size is not correct for this forum.

Nothing wrong with making it blocky and compact, if thats what you need to do. 

The only time I use MHW, is when I need to cross a river, otherwise its RHW-10 for the most part, since the highways are the only neighbor connections that are not rail related, so I get alot of road traffic on them until there is enough demand to install a subway system(which is also why I always place the Bus/Subway RMTP's when I only really need the bus at the time)

art128

Here's my best interchange so far!

Props & Texture Catalog

Gurning_Chimp

Quote from: art128 on November 03, 2011, 01:15:39 PM

Holy Hell! That's a feat of Sim engineering right there!

mike3775

Quote from: art128 on November 03, 2011, 01:15:39 PM

Look at all the wasted simtax money spent  :)

That is a good looking interchange for sure

Swordmaster

Quote from: art128 on November 03, 2011, 10:50:41 AM
That is one nice trumpet there, Swordmaster! I may be copying it on my own purpose! :P

I also have a question, how do you deal when you have your MIS ramp transformed into standard RHW 2 ?

Thanks, Arthur! In this particular example, the MIS is long enough not to revert to RHW-2. Otherwise, filler pieces like Ioan said.

PS: You can quickly arrive at the MIS pieces by hitting shift+tab a couple of times in the starter piece tab ring. That way you end up at the back of the cycle. ;)

MandelSoft

@art128: Someone has been reading my Turbine Interchange tutorial  ;D

Looks great, Arthur!  :thumbsup:
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

art128

Quote from: mrtnrln on November 03, 2011, 02:37:51 PM
@art128: Someone has been reading my Turbine Interchange tutorial  ;D

Looks great, Arthur!  :thumbsup:

yes I do! :)

Props & Texture Catalog

io_bg

Yeah, those are some very nice interchanges here indeed :thumbsup:
However I see no point in quoting a picture. For example, Arthur's one has been quoted twice! What's the point? This way the page is only made larger and slower to navigate.

Haljackey

Great job guys!

Here's my first attempt at creating the Gardiner Expressway in downtown Toronto.

Can't quite get it all to fit due to fact there's a road under the expressway (double deck) and the lack of el-RHW-6 connections available in RHW 5.0.
-Though these issues could get fixed in later releases.

Anyways, hope you enjoyed the pics. You gotta try.

Risu

Excellent recreation, HalJackey! ;D &apls

mike3775

wow Haljackey, you almost got it all the way

cammo2003

Great work Hal.

With that said, I can't help, when looking at satellite imagery of North American cities but drop my jaw at the sheer amount of WASTED SPACE in the form of parking lots. Couldn't they at least build fewer, but multistorey carparks? Such a waste of prime urban land.

[/rant]

mike3775

Quote from: cammo2003 on November 03, 2011, 08:18:05 PM
Great work Hal.

With that said, I can't help, when looking at satellite imagery of North American cities but drop my jaw at the sheer amount of WASTED SPACE in the form of parking lots. Couldn't they at least build fewer, but multistorey carparks? Such a waste of prime urban land.

[/rant]

Its probably because its cheaper to pave an acre of land then it is to not only pave that same acre, but build above and below it as well, also you have to look at the difference in price for insurance purposes as well. 

Haljackey

Quote from: cammo2003 on November 03, 2011, 08:18:05 PM
Great work Hal.

[/rant]

Not to veer too far off-topic, but Toronto has focused heavily on urban intensification over the past few years. There are now more buildings under construction there than the rest of North America combined, and that area looks very different today than the 2009 imagery you see above from Google Maps.
-See here for buildings built recently and under construction: http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/maps/?cityID=12
-Also check out a drawing list here: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=52651647

There's also a proposal to tear down the Gardiner Expressway and replace it with a landscaped boulevard, allowing the area and the old rail yards to be developed further, while encouraging public transit to alleviate the further strain surrounding roads would experience with the loss of the expressway.

Back on topic, urban highways are difficult to recreate in SC4.