• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bipin's BAT Boutique

Started by Bipin, November 20, 2011, 01:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APSMS

I always prefer zoom 6 buildings, whenever possible. Zoom 5 is fine, considering the quality of the BAT, but since I've got an HD terrain mod, and an HD tree controller, why not have HD houses as well?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

whatevermind

I love the detail in these houses! I have to say I preferred the older look with the lighter block walls and the curved woodworking though. I would also stick with the 1-story version, something about the 2-story just doesn't look right. But those are just my taste, these are still incredible models.  ;)

Bipin

Whatevermind, unfortunately I have to put some sort of attic window in there to fill a gap that would lead to a horizontal "valley" between two other gables. As always, your comments are appreciated, especially on matters concerning notions such as HD vs SD. Taking your advice and given the general consensus, I'm leaning towards HD as the primary render. A heads up for a number of you who've been inquiring about new details, the houses are based on a neo-crafstman style. Here's one example among many:

It's more so a fusion between neo-craftsman, which is up and coming; modern, and a bit of the distinctly American, suburban brick house. In other news, below is another project I've been working on. If you're fairly perceptive, you may notice parallels between this project and another one from months ago that people have asked me to restart.

Courtesy of Maarten's excellent modding skills, I've been able to put some of these props in a T21 style. :D

Hopefully we'll be able to add some T21s to the overpass and column pieces, as well as diagonals.

Enjoy!

Swordmaster

That looks great!

I think the best approach would be to have the road surface be a texture replacement and let only the barriers be T21 props. But that's probably not how you want to implement it. I'm thinking about folks who want to keep the dark texture but use your barriers, or even want another texture altogether. (Even though this one looks great.)

At any rate I hope to get my hands on the original since it's by far the best concrete texture I've seen.

Cheers
Willy

Bipin

Quote from: Swordmaster on April 28, 2013, 05:14:51 PM
That looks great!

I think the best approach would be to have the road surface be a texture replacement and let only the barriers be T21 props. But that's probably not how you want to implement it. I'm thinking about folks who want to keep the dark texture but use your barriers, or even want another texture altogether. (Even though this one looks great.)

At any rate I hope to get my hands on the original since it's by far the best concrete texture I've seen.

Cheers
Willy

Thanks for the quick reply to my update! Chances are I will separate the concrete from the barriers as two props, which would more easily allow for variations in possible T21 mods. In regards to that concrete (which I'm glad you like :thumbsup: ), I wanted to go with a model over a texture since it would allow overpasses to have one texture, whereas roads have another, since there is often a variation between either materials used for the road surface.

memo

Quote from: Bipin on April 28, 2013, 04:57:46 PM

Nice models. :thumbsup: To avoid the glitch between the tiles, you may want to play with the LODs. I'd suggest to follow the guidelines of this tutorial, in particular what is shown in the following image.

Quote from: jeronij on April 05, 2007, 05:21:11 PM
Now play a bit with the objects.Move the repeat pieces to the 0,0 grid coordinates, and make two additional copies of it. Use the existing basis box to create the LODs for this piece, using the technique explained in the step above. Again Save selected as a new file.

If you want to make them slope-friendly, this tutorial may be helpful. It's for diagonals, actually - but for orthogonal networks, it's much easier.

noahclem

First off, great work  &apls  I agree with Willy about the concrete textures; they are really beautiful. I also tend to think doing the road surface as a texture rather than a model makes more sense. I'm glad you're thinking of separating the road texture models and the barriers as I'm pretty sure there will be people that want your overpass models but not your textures. There's also Euro texture users to consider.

The rest of the model is very pretty but if you pay close attention I think you'll agree it's significantly over-scaled. This is most obvious in the L1 pieces when the model drops almost halfway down to L0--low enough to have some automata appearing to run into the barrier. The concrete barriers look like the rise ~70% of the width of a traffic lane above the road deck or some 3m/10' which also seems a bit much. I hope you'll consider experimenting with different scaling options and I think something around 50% might be about right.

Keep up the great work and once again beautiful textures and models  :thumbsup:

Bipin

Thanks for the kind words, everyone, they are greatly appreciated. I've taken heed to many of the suggestions, with the outcome of this:

Enjoy!

Bipin

Sorry for the double post, but with such a large step forwards, I couldn't resist posting the latest and greatest of what's been done regarding this T21 mod. Things are really starting to come together now:

I think the HD props look alright, the cracks are more noticeable and less blurry, which inb my opinion looked less realistic; the very nature of cracks governs that they should have jagged edges, which is more explicit in HD.

Besides re-rendering these in HD, I also added lamp posts and darkened the green colour to something more suitable. Be aware that pillar placement issues are int he process of being fixed, they will no longer clip through the girders.

Now before anyone complains, keep in mind that metal beams are often quite glossy. I often get this comment, so I just wanted to make you all aware of my reference material. Also keep in mind that the aforementioned reference material, as seen below, is of an older highway in Japan:

Thank you everyone for your continuing support, I hope you enjoy the progress!

sim_link

That's looking awesome, Bipin! Love the look of the roadtop and supports, especially. I actually like the sheen to the metal materials. It definitely looks realistic, IMO. Several newer highways have that sheen as well. As long as cement chunks don't fall on my sims I'll be using this when it's ready. :P

rooker1

That is awesome!!
Realism to a whole new level....thank you.
Karma Point for you my friend.

Robin :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Gugu3

Amazing stuff!!well deserved karma point! &apls

spot

Bipin

Thank you everyone for the kind words and especially that karma point. I feel a great degree of gratitude in earning that. However, I believe Mandelsoft should also receive a karama point, as he did the vast majority of T21 modding related to this project.  ;D As a token of my appreciation to your responses, I give you this:

I know that some of you have been intrigued by the functionality of this mod. Wonder no more, the answer is here! (Psst... keep in mind that the automata I'm using here is a bit underscaled itself).

noahclem

Beautiful stuff  &apls  I've gave the K-point to Maarten for you  :thumbsup:

I still hope you consider the scale of the support pillars and under-structure though. For example the pillars are almost as wide as the traffic lanes and the L1 clearance still seems dangerously low. I'm just nit-picking though, the overall result is fantastic :)

samerton

Incredible, Bipin! You've created very realistic models and this looks superb  :thumbsup:

Swordmaster

Wow! And the RHW was already so realistic. I can't think of the added burden you put on me to improve my rail textures :thumbsup:

Cheers
Willy

vortext

Exciting stuff, this'll be a major step forward in terms of realism!  &apls

The only quibble I have is the shadow cast from the pillars. I believe this happens when props extend below the ground plane (not sure though, I'm no BATter). If the pillars are separate props, than you could simply disable shadows via the exemplar.

Anyhow, you're doing an excellent job as it looks great! :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Bipin

Quote from: vortext on May 09, 2013, 12:57:32 PM
Exciting stuff, this'll be a major step forward in terms of realism!  &apls

The only quibble I have is the shadow cast from the pillars. I believe this happens when props extend below the ground plane (not sure though, I'm no BATter). If the pillars are separate props, than you could simply disable shadows via the exemplar.

Anyhow, you're doing an excellent job as it looks great! :thumbsup:

That is correct, the problem has been addressed and is in the process of being fixed. Furthermore, in regards to other comments, Maarten and I have decided that we will keep L1 as is. Personally I (and I believe Maarten as well) feel as though L1 overpasses for RHW just don't look that nice anyways. Besides, everyone has been using L2 networks for a decade. However, road overpasses, should I T21 those, will be adapted to L1 use.

vortext

Quote from: Bipin on May 09, 2013, 01:00:54 PM
That is correct, the problem has been addressed and is in the process of being fixed.

Good to hear!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana