• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Scenic Routes Around the World #42 - FIFA World Cup Special

Started by eugenelavery, February 05, 2012, 06:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Connor

Beautiful update as usual, and that mosaic was fantastic  :thumbsup:

RickD

My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

art128

I like your version of the mall of the emirates. I never thought of using these airport's terminal to make a big building like this.

The Emerald Plaza looks great next to the complex.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

noahclem

I've always really liked your MD and somehow I seem to keep missing your updates--sorry  &mmm

Your blend of buildings, nice night shots, desert style, and Arabic character is really something cool  &apls

And I can't believe they have Ski Dhahran in SC4--probably the most ridiculous building in the world (for someone living in the Arctic)  ::)

eugenelavery

Replies:

Thank you everyone for your comments, they mean a lot.

nbvc: Thanks!
Ricky112233: Thanks for your comment.  I am always happy to answer any questions.
Connor: Thank you for your kind words.
RickD: Those hotels are really quite impressive BATs.
nas-t: Thanks!
art128: There is an embarrassing shortage of shopping malls out there for SC4 so I thought airport terminals were the best option.
noahclem: Thank you for commenting.  I hope you don't miss my updates.

At first glance the Emirate of Dhahran may seem to be full of skyscrapers and mansions, but there is much more to this Emirate than meets the eye.  Situated close to the Mall of the Emirates and Sheikh Al Maktoum Road is Al Quoz Industrial District. 

Al Quoz is one of the biggest industrial hubs in the Middle East and has factories and stores representing most of the world's major companies, including retail stores such as Walmart, Target, and Ikea.

I hope you have found this visit to a less glamourous part of Dhahran interesting.  Please join me next time as we return to the Jumeirah waterfront.

Kergelen

Links to SC4 websites

eugenelavery

Replies:

Kergelen:  Thanks for commenting!  I am glad you liked the industrial area.

Covering more than 40 hectares and consisting of 4.5 kilometres of waterways, Madinat Jumeirah is one of the most exclusive resorts in the Emirate of Dhahran.  Located adjacent to Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Burj Al Arab, and Wild Wadi Water Park, Madinat Jumeirah is just a 30 minute drive from Dhahran International Airport and a 10 minute drive from Mall of the Emirates.

Opened in 2003, Madinat Jumeirah offers luxury hotels, apartments, shopping and dining to tourists from all over the world.  The architecture is Arabian inspired and the underlying concept is to recreate traditional Dhahranian life as it used to be in the days of pearl diving and fishing.  The waterways are also home to a turtle sanctuary, reaffirming Dhahran's commitment to the enviroment.

Please join me next time, as our journey to Dhahran will take us to a new district of the city.

art128

Really nice update. The area around that hotel is sumptuously made!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

solsystem

Very beautiful pics!  &apls  Especially the last ingame night pic is amazing.

RickD

THe area looks very nice with the canals. I also like the nightshot.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Ricky112233

Wow! That is jst unbelievable! The hotel, the apartments, the canals, the beach, it's...it's....perfect!
I'd just absolutely love to live there! ;)

-Ricky :)
Yes, I love aviation
Yes, I'm interested in the former CIS
Yes, I'm half Dutch-half American
Yes, I'm learning Russian
15--

whatevermind

Wow! Just read up on two countries worth, and I say you remain the king of mosaics, so many of those are just stunning. The range of city styles you cover is also amazing - island paradise, island slum, suburban wasteland, historic districts, modern high rises, gorgeous beach resorts - it's all here somewhere. Also, I can't believe someone actually BATted the Dubai ski slope  ::) indeed one of the more ridiculous buildings in the world. Keep up the great work!

Oh, and what is the M.C. Escher-esque building near the bottom of the last photo of your September 20th post?

Huston_N7

AAAAAMAAAZING! Saw this on Simtropolis as well, and I have to say that these are one of the most stunning images and mosaics I've ever seen. Your input of detail into these Middle-Eastern cities are unparalleled.  :thumbsup:
<a href="http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15523.msg467533#msg467533"></a>
E37 - Ferust System | Violet Nebula
"Blinding Night"
06/09/2013

DebussyMan

Been checking out this MD lately, what a unique style!
I'm also very glad to see that my old models are still being used, and in such imaginative ways!

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

noahclem

Great update again  &apls  The canals and water are perfect and I really like the night shot  :thumbsup:

apeguy

Impressive. :thumbsup: The canals lined with palm trees look incredible, they go perfectly with the luxury apartments. ;D

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

eugenelavery

Replies:

art128: Yet again, lot editing makes all the difference.
solsystem: Thanks, I am not always certain that I know how to edit nighttime pictures but perhaps I got this one right.
RickD: Thanks, the canals are a LE creation.
Ricky112233: The main problem with this MD is that I always want to live in Dhahran whenever I work on it.
whatevermind: Thanks for reading through my MD, I have enjoyed creating three very different countries so far.  Is this the building you mean? http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/16988-coco-park/
Republic: Thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot.
DebussyMan: Great BATs such as yours typically work in almost any setting if used wisely.
noahclem: Thank you for commenting!
apeguy: Those palm trees are a great recent addition to the STEX.

Umm Suqeim is a largely residential neighbourhood which borders Jumeirah.  The waterfront district of Umm Suqeim features much less development than Jumeirah, but one project is the Umm Suqeim Fishermen Harbour.  Unfortunately the credit crisis which has hit Dhahran bad, has halted construction on this project.  In this mosaic below you can see that the harbour has been developed but the rest of the man-made peninsula awaits residential development. 

Whilst housing some luxury yachts, this harbour project is also intended for use by the traditional fishermen - a nod to the traditional fish and pearl merchants who were once the backbone of the Emirate before oil.

Please join us next time as we continue our tour of the Umm Suqeim district.

[Authors note: Please accept my apologies for the inactivity of this CJ recently, I had to go to Nigeria for a couple of weeks because of work which put my sim city work behind schedule, I am currently busy working away on Dhahran, but just doing some rather uninteresting suburban and industrial sprawl at the moment.]

whatevermind

Indeed, that's the one. Thanks for the link!

Ah, the indefinitely unfinished residential development - one of the more unfortunate realities of suburban growth (or lack thereof, I might say).

Dantes

Very nice how you have the modern Arabic design.  :thumbsup: I miss in the mosque a beautiful place with palm trees. Many vacant lots leave with palm-lined squares make nice.  :)