• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Real Expressway Mod REW (Development and Support)

Started by eggman121, November 23, 2016, 10:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

In case anyone is wondering what is happening regarding NAM 40 and the status of the REW, some REW components were submitted and included in Build 02 for NAM 40, which went out for testing within the team at the end of January (and is our current build).  Unfortunately, we determined that it was not going to be possible for those components to be brought up to a releasable state for this cycle.

NAM 40 has officially gone into a "feature freeze" as of February 5th (after which no point no new features can be added, and things that cannot be worked out are shelved for a later cycle).  As there is a bumper crop of other features that are nearing a point where they'll soon be ready for public consumption, the plan is to go ahead and finish those up, and allow the REW to re-enter the release stream at some point in the near future.

Particularly given our new release strategy, the REW not being part of NAM 40 is not going to slow that project down.  The REW will still take the same amount of time, it's just that it'll have a different version number attached (no guarantees on exactly which number that will be), and you'll get other new NAM features to enjoy in the meanwhile, rather than having to wait on those as well.

We know this project is quite anticipated, but we want to make sure we do it right, and want to thank all the NAM enthusiasts in the community for their continued patience. 

-Alex

roadgeek

Oh well! At least we get to see and share snapshots of what we can see and what we will eventually see in NAM 4x, ....or 5x.

roadgeek

Got some more photos to share:

This one here is Ave-2 T with Ave-6.

roadgeek

You can also make Ave-2 T with OWR-3.

Visual How to:

roadgeek

roadgeek

roadgeek

Don't try this with diagonals though...at least not with NAM 40. Slip lanes only work with Ortho pieces IIRC.

roadgeek

Oh, and I tried out the new Diagonal on/off ramps with the REW. The results speak for themselves.  :)

AsimPika3172

I loves Sim City forever!

b22rian

Guys ,

A new version of REW just came out today  :thumbsup:

We would love to have more input from you guys

Dont let me down Road Geek  :)

Thanks for all your earlier images and comments..

Please guys , let us know what you think both good and bad feedback

roadgeek

WONDERFUL!!!! I played around with it for a little bit. Time to go widen some frontage roads...

b22rian

Thanks for your speedy reply.. :thumbsup:

Originally we had hoped to include some basic elements also for the Elevated REW. But we ran into some issues with the onslope height transition . These issues will require some time to fix. So we were unable to get that done as the release cycle was so short ( only a little over 3 weeks ).  So than besides that the rest of the next phase of work will involve expanding support for the existing content .  So for example right now , the wider rew networks owr 4,5 , do not have any MRC's yet. And than of course many other ramp types are also possible for a broad range of the REW networks..

Wiimeiser

The REW seems to be completely broken in LHD. All the ramps are nonexistent, their models and paths are missing entirely. Even installing the RHD version as an override does nothing to fix the problem. The only fix is to roll back to a previous REW version. I tried switching my game's drive side entirely and that worked, however, when I loaded up the RHD test city, while the RHD ramp interfaces are still there, placing new ones or manipulating the existing ones causes the problem to resurge. It seems either the LHD controller file or the game itself is hardcoded to assume LHD is based on an offset from RHD, like if the RHD IID is 0xBAB55EED and the LHD offset is 0xC0FFEE, the LHD controller game will look for it at 0XBB765EDB. If my guess at the problem is correct, just providing the models and paths at the LHD offset IID is sufficient to fix the problem (It most likely will, reverting to NAM 40's REW model and path files was sufficient for the A1 and B1 files to work again for me)

EDIT: The only thing left to determine is if it's the game itself or the NAM that does it when in LHD, which would require mismatching versions...
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

Tarkus

The REW had to have a number of IIDs changed this release, due to some issues involving the network previews--the ramps are the area that were primarily affected.  Re-clicking the affected areas with the One-Way Road tool should bring them over to the new IIDs and make the items show up again.

I'll note, I tested the REW in LHD, and prior to release, did actually fix an issue wherein the NWM's LHD path remapping section in the Network INI (located in the NAM Bridge Controller) was interfering with some REW items (both the NWM and REW occupy the 0x51###### range).  There are no components in the REW that require special LHD handling, and there is no separate LHD version of the REW, so any other issues you may be encountering are most likely due to either the aforementioned situation above, or installation error.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

Re-clicking the areas doesn't fix them at all; in fact, if I import my RHD test city, clicking on the existing tiles actually blanks them out. Importing NAM 40's REW code fixes the A1 and B1 ramps, both draggable and ploppable, but the only other fix is to switch both the game and NAM to RHD. For all I know, the game is hardcoded to always offset models and paths in LHD games. Maybe I should upload a test city to confirm this...

EDIT: After several reinstallations it seems to be working... Though I unrelatedly discovered the RHW-3 T-intersection CPs are missing LHD textures. So it's down to three things:
-A cosmic bit flip during installation (this apparently happened with Super Mario 64 once, there was a mysterious upwarp once)
-Not installing the legacy 30m Monorail puzzle pieces
-Something else in my plugins

Wiimeiser

Okay, I don't see what the point of the 270 degree curve is. It's too small to be used in an interchange...

roadgeek

Quote from: Wiimeiser on May 11, 2021, 02:52:13 AM
Okay, I don't see what the point of the 270 degree curve is. It's too small to be used in an interchange...

Quite true! It isn't even a real 270°, as you have to add two 45° curves in order to complete the 270°. I suppose that between this curve and the two 45° curves, you can make straight stretches of OWR, which gives you the opportunity to make a gradual elevation change.

roadgeek

I made good use of the D ramp OWR-3, and will upload a pic soon. The U-turns I have made are somewhat finicky though. Sometimes they look great, and other times, they just keep snapping to OWR-2 underneath the pair of RHW10S-L0->L1 flex heights that I have set up.

Tarkus

The issue you're probably encountering with the reversion to OWR-2 has to do with adjacency code.  The NWM's main RUL2 codebase is largely unaltered from when NWM 2.0 was released alongside NAM 30, some 10 years ago--a mere 38,000 lines for the entire mod--and even with a little bit of additional RHW crosslink code, it's still very lacking in terms of what adjacencies are supported. 

There's a major revamp of the NWM RUL2 code underway at present ("Project 51", or "P51"), to bring it up to spec with the RHW code in terms of adjacencies, and prepare for the eventual long-awaited diagonal intersections.  The NWM-side code on NWM x RHW crosslink situations is vastly improved with P51--indeed, I fixed a long-running issue I had with some OWR-3s that went under a complex RHW setup in one of my downtown areas with it. 

I'm going to guess your situation probably has the REW ramp interface butted up pretty close to an RHW . . . REW ramp-next-to-RHW isn't covered yet with P51, but it's been heavily requested in our testing thus far, so I've started to throw that in.

-Alex

roadgeek

It's really more like a slip lane that only "slips" on the OWR-2 side.