• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Deora`s New York (No,i`m not a Recreation...)

Started by deora, September 14, 2014, 04:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

romualdillo

mrsmartman

The Hudson Yard looks cool. It is difficult to imagine a rail yard at the heart of a big city.
I look forward to the future updates of your electronic interpretation of the Big Apple.

carlfatal

Yeah, very nice!
First thing I did was looking for that place in Google maps.  $%Grinno$%

I think, you´ve done a very good job here but maybe this railyard would be easier to realize as a lot. You can find textures on the STEX if you look for NorthCountryDude.

deora

Thanks guys.
I know,it looks kinda weird to see that giant open hole with nothing but rails in it.I guess it wasn`t always like that,maybe it was once a semi industrial area like some parts of Hells Kitchen but who knows...
I`m also considering on doing the Railyards as a Lot,this would give me more freedom in decoration and it just looks nicer.

As a little Teaser,i have something new to show.It`s a little preview of the area i`m currently working on.The first picture might be a good hint.....

vortext

Nice night pics but erm, that pier, it's way too small for those aircraft.  %wrd

Nice to see the Concorde though. A shame really it's no longer in use, such an elegant plane.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

compdude787

Quote from: vortext on October 31, 2014, 10:41:07 AM
Nice night pics but erm, that pier, it's way too small for those aircraft.  %wrd

That's actually the Intrepid Air and Space Museum (the aircraft carrier there is the USS Intrepid) in real life, and it's nice to see that he recreated even that in SC4.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

vortext

Ah, I thought it was an active base.  :D

Still looks a tad on the small side though, even if it may be to life scale.
time flies like a bird

deora

Yep, compdude is rright, its the Intrepid Museum.
Instead of the wite Sun Umbrella thingies i placed more jets.Maybe i will remove the large blue plane and replace it.Any cool ideas for helicopter props?
I mean from time to time a Museum has to change the exhibition pieces...

benedict

Congratulations, your MD debuted at number one on Ben's Top Ten for the week ending 18 September.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

deora

Cool,thanks Ben.
So,some may or may not have wondered where i`ve been.Well,didn`t leave this planet and also my New York is pretty intact.
Since November i have a Job (nothing big,but it`s enough to pay my bills and live) and because of the X-Mas Season,i got a little distracted.
But i always worked a bit here and there on my Region.I`m a very slow City Builder,sometimes it takes to or more hours to finish a bunch of blocks because i bulldoze,grow and plop the hell out of it.
But because i tried out  Darknite and Mandelsofts LRM the first time i took the opportunity to make a great night shot with a big work in progress.
There are still large gaps in between but you already get an idea of how it will turn out...

Fullsize

newsimaddict

Nice!

It's not just a crazy congested city...it breathes. Great MD so far, looking forward to reading more.

Cheers!

deora

Thanks newsimsaddict, but with the ongoing speed more and more buildings are growing,this plce soon gets a little cozy...

Hell`s Kitchen/Lincoln Square
[/u][/b]

Yess,finally i stopped procratinating and started building on these two neighborhoods.

Hells Kitchen:
Hell's Kitchen, also known as Clinton and Midtown West, is a neighborhood of Manhattan in New York City located between 34th Street in the south, 59th Street in the north, Eighth Avenue in the east, and the Hudson River to the west.[1] The area provides transport, medical, and warehouse infrastructure support to the Midtown Manhattan business district.
This neighborhood isn`t completely immune against gentrification but still has a large portion of low rise commercial and factory buildings and also tons of car dealers,repair shops,car parts and smaller shops.
The waterfront area was once home of many industrial piers and cruise ship terminals.Today many piers are converted into parking lots and parks (i always wondered,if no one in Manhattan is using a car like they say,why do they need so many parking facilities and car dealers?).

First,let`s have a look at the waterfront.A very famous place is the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.It is placed on an old aircraft carrier.
But if you`re not a big fan of aircrafts,how about taking a walk along the numerous parks and piers?

Not even Hells Kitchen is save from huge developments.Between W43rd Street and W41st Street some huge towers are in development

The modern cruise ship terminal awaits for tourists...

48 The De Witt Clinton Park is a calm and green oasis in todays times

48a

Lincoln Square:Lincoln Square is the name of both a square and the surrounding neighborhood within the Upper West Side of the New York City borough of Manhattan. Lincoln Square is centered on the intersection of Broadway and Columbus Avenue, between West 65th and West 66th streets. The neighborhood is bounded by Columbus Avenue and Amsterdam Avenue to the east and west, and West 66th and 63rd Street to the north and south.It is bounded by Hell's Kitchen, Riverside South, Central Park, and the Upper West Side proper.

49 Where Hells Kitchen ends,starts Lincoln Square

50 Riverside South is a large apartment complex at the waterfront.The towers overlook the Hudson River and has a nice green recreation area.

51 The well known Lincoln Center is surrounded by modern day development,mostly large office towers or condos.

52 The Lincoln Center meets the Broadway which draws an angled line across a few blocks.That small patch of green is the Dante Park

53 This residential area between W 66th Street to W 70th Street and West End Avenue / Amsterdam Avenue is surrounded by modern buildings,too

54 The Hudson River Greenway incorporates many old piers as parks,like this one

55 There is always room for more new buildings,like here between W 57th Street to W 61st Street

56 Things are growing fast along the Broadway

Like most cities,Manhattan is even mre beautiful at night...

vortext

Great update, the diverse waterfront is really nicely done!  &apls

I also like the barren plots and small parks tucked in between the high rises, and that sunken railroad in the first pictures!  :o

Progress may be slow but your attention to detail is excellent. Keep at it! :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird

romualdillo

Great work mixing old residentials, industries and new developments, as always!!!  &apls

deora

Thanks guys,i really apprechiate your nice comments.

vortext:Well,real life NY seems to be full of empty plots of land and often they will either be changed into parking lots, community parks or are just waiting for the next development to come.
I sometimes use this fact at places where no house wants to grow.Sometimes i zone a full 4x12 streetblock with 1x2 W2W zoning and almost the whole block gets covered by houses exept one stinking little spot.And this is a place where i decide "eh..let`s imagine this house was demolished or collapsed and later someone bought it and make it a parking lot or a green recreation area....until one big developer plans to rebuild it :D
I`m also glad i found those sunken GLR pieces.I used them to make it look like the open subway tracks that you can see between a few streets in Hell`s Kitchen...

romualdillo: Also thanks to you.I know in a perfect world,everything would have an area of it`s own and historic buildings could stay in peace (and not rott to pieces) and industry is something far far away from any living being.But this world isn`t perfect and mixing up things can make a pretty nice thing together.
Also these mixtures of old residentials,industry and fancy modern offices helps the virtual population very much.Commuting times are short and there are no jobless people.
I wonder how this will change in other areas where most of the map consists of residentials :-\

However,i also have a little Teaser and a small riddle for you...

A Church sitting in a very weird place,the surrounding towers starting a race,almost a mile high,raking up to the sky....argh dang Edward Nygma,this is the last time i let you write my postings...sorry for the trouble guys.

Okay where was i...oh yes:This Church is surrounded by different development,ranging from the classic low rise up to the fancy high rise condos everyone loves/hates.
Keep in mind that we are still in the Hell`s Kitchen Area....so,where could this Church exactly be...here`s a hint,it is partly surrounded by tunnels and large holes in the ground...

cmdp123789

It looks really good! And thanks for the clarification in simtropolis hahaha!! You should update your CJ in there too!  &apls

romualdillo

deora

First:Thanks for all the great Comments.I`m glad you`re enjoying my Mayor`s Diary.
Second:Sorry for the long Hiatus i guess.I never really left the SC 4 Community and i never left my tiny pixelated Manhattan abandoned,at least for the most Part.It seems that Sims have a clue of self-awareness and when i opened a Part frm Manhattan Downtown,the entire Timesquare was covered in Grafitties,burning Cars and they started to burn the Empire State Building.Luckily i managed to get everything back on Track and send all those rampant Sims off a Cliff...well i sended them into the cold merciless floods of the Hudson River....hehe.

It seems like an awfully long Time has passed since we stranded in Hells Kitchen.

Sure,we visited Lincoln Square and the famous Lincoln Center of Modern Arts,sniffed a Breeze of fresh Air when standing on the old Aircraft Carrier which is now a famous Air and Spacecraft Museum and even tried everything the Kitchens and Diners in Hells Kitchen have to offer.

But still...there is something i miss.I need to travel..Besides that,Development didn`t stop at the Boundaries of Hells Kitchen.Sure,it took some time,but now it is slowly infiltrating the outer boundaries and inner Blocks of this Fortress of dirty Theaters,Garages,Tyre Dealers and Furniture Warehouses.

Besides that,it seems that i have to go anyway.A greedy Real Estate Guy and an Architect without any signs of Taste or common sense bought a large bundle of Land.The Tiny Apartmentbuilding i`m living in will be razed soon,the neighboring Building already met the Wrecking Ball...

Damn,i enjoyed that little Bar across the Street and the Deli next Door.

I think it`s time to move on.I had a great Time in Hells Kitchen and made a lot of nice Pictures for you...

The Area around the Croation Church is also under heavy Development.Massive Condos and Office Buildings everywhere,slowly suppressing the historic Building Stock.

The American Museum of Natural History looks sort of mysterious at Night...

The West 79th Street heading towards the Henry Hudson Parkway...

A Bunch of old Shops in Amsterdam Avenue...

Development doesn`t sleep,Okay maybe at Night...

Once the Place of a bunch of lovely Shops and now a building Ground...

The Holy Cross Church next to a bunch of old Rowhouses in West 42nd Street...

More Room to build more unaffordable Condos...this Time near the Croatan Church...

And down the Drains we go...

Gas Stations,the perfect Victims for Real Estate Development.No one is driving a Car in NYC,right?

An empty Lot next to the Broadway?You can have it....for 10.000.000 $$$ :D

The New York Historic Society...

Everyone loves Sightseing Tours...especially at Night in a Helicopter...

One Worldwide Plaza at Night...

And a bunch of Rowhouses in OWP`s Shadow...

Livin`in the PJ`s next to Lincoln Square...

Two affordable Housing Towers between W 73th and W 74th Street at Westend Avenue...

I hope you liked our little Tour through Hells Kitchen and the neighboring Blocks.

Let`s see where we will met next Time.Maybe Garment District or Upper West Side...we will see.

reddonquixote

These are really great, I especially like the night time images. I see a lot of plazas and open spaces that are well lit, I don't recall seeing this in any other Mayor Diary before, is this something you have enhanced? Maybe it's just me not being very observant  ;D Either way they look really great, very realistic.  :thumbsup:
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

c.p.

Yeah, the night lighting looks great. :thumbsup:  Also the city has a nice mix of lowrise and highrise buildings.