• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Imperial Republic of Elytheria (Updated: 14/04/2007)

Started by M4346, January 27, 2007, 10:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

A really nice detail.

You chose your pic well, Marius.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

mjig_dudy

Wow! this is excellent stuff :o. Your city building skills are great. Your rural areas are amazing! keep up the excellent work.

M4346

Well, I have been "fooling" around in SC4 for a while today, not having class due to the Chinese President's visit and address at my University, I took the opportunity to get some SC4ing done, in between seeing my boyfriend, amongst other activities.

So, before I continue with the rather small update, I have some good, and some bad news...

First, the good news: I applied for permission to register to do my second B. Degree today. In other words I will be doing two degrees at the same time and thus completing two B. Degrees in 4 years. I have changed my Journalism major to German and Zulu (it used to be Political Science and International Political Relations) and, if the Dean of my faculty grants me permission, I will soon be registering for my B.PolSci (Political Science) degree. So I will do another degree in Political Science.  ;D

The bad news is: I applied for permission to register to do my second B. Degree today. :P This also means that I will have a lot of classes and work to do, and thus will have to severely limit my "online" and SC4 time.  :-[ But, it appears that it will only really affect me in the next semester (after  the June / July recess) and next year, as I will only be taking two extra modules / subjects this semester. This also means that I have to revise my timetable.

But all-in-all I think this is great, and hope that I may do it that way.  #stsfd·

So, let me get to the personal replies before I get to the small update and its description...

Quote from: Gaston on February 05, 2007, 07:32:10 PM
M,
    I am sorry about your Mother's cousin.   I suppose I take my safety here in America for granted sometimes.   Then I hear about people in other places and WOW I worry about them.   Glad to see you got your laptop back up and running again.   That is why I still have my clunky old desktop PC.    Great update my friend.    Some of the houses in Die Henwel are "Norwegian" aren't they?   Those are some of my favorite houses.   Loved the beaches and the ave. that travelled along them in Bloomsbury.     Can't wait to see more soon.     

Stay Safe and Stay Strong my friend,
---Gaston

Thanks, yet again, for stopping by. It's always good to see your posts. I really appreciate the sentiments expressed by you, and it encourages me to continue with this, at times, tedious endeavour. ;D My mother's cousin's funeral was today, I was unable to attend it however. We do have a serious problem with crime in this country, and more so violent crime, but I think being "streetwise" helps a bit. I guess when one grows up with it you learn to be on the defensive constantly and quickly learn the "do's and don'ts" of living in South Africa.  :)

Have a great day, and send my South African regards to your girlfriend. (By the way, Mama Tambo will be laid to rest on Saturday, as far as I know. Unfortunately the service will be in Cape Town).

Quote from: thundercrack83 on February 05, 2007, 08:53:37 PM
Wow, Bloomsbury looks very beautiful! The forests and the beaches are well done. Keep up the good work!

Thank you very much! I only recently got into flora and other ploppables and I can tell you that I absolutely love it! (As I'm sure you'll soon realise with my almost over-usage of the stuff). :P

Quote from: Slann on February 06, 2007, 08:55:26 AM
Hey mate!

Really glad that your computer only went on strike... *grin*
Looking really good

Thank you Slanny! :P I answered your original post previously, or rather, I addressed your question previously. ;)

Quote from: praiodan on February 06, 2007, 10:26:44 AM
Huh, good to hear your HD didn't crash and just needed a break, it would have been a pity!

Very nice pictures  :thumbsup:

For the sake of "universality" and all that I will answer your post, and in future continue to post, in English. :P Let's then keep all non-English discussions on the other appropriate forums. ;D

I am also very relieved that my laptop was only taking a break, and am glad to be back in the swing of things!

Thank you very much! ;)

Quote from: Yoman on February 06, 2007, 02:25:22 PM
[Y]ou've really made a nice looking natural area there. I like the beach area in the north as its quiet yet nice. Good thing there isnt much traffic on that lone highway either!

Thanks Owen! Always good to see you over here. :) I'm also glad to hear that you like the beach, and I am equally pleased with the lack of traffic on the avenue. Would have spoiled the scenery. :P

Quote from: bat on February 07, 2007, 05:45:55 AM
Wonderful update and "teaser picture"!

Thank you Bat! :P

Quote from: pipishere on February 07, 2007, 12:05:03 PM
FABULOUS!.....don't need to say anything more  $%Grinno$%

Ooooooh! Look who decided to stop by! :P Hey there Pip! and welcome to SC4D!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Adriano57 on February 07, 2007, 12:16:20 PM
Very nice pictures   &apls

Thank you! ;D

Quote from: dedgren on February 07, 2007, 01:13:29 PM
A really nice detail.

You chose your pic well, Marius.

David

Why thank you David! ;D If it weren't for you I'd still be plopping straight streams on plains! :P So I owe my newly acquired attention to detail to you!  ;D

Thank you for stopping by!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: mjig_dudy on February 07, 2007, 01:19:32 PM
Wow! this is excellent stuff :o. Your city building skills are great. Your rural areas are amazing! keep up the excellent work.

Thank you mjig_dudy! I appreciate your kind words and your compliments!  #stsfd· And thank you for taking the time to pop in over here at Elytheria Novo, I hope to see you again soon! ;)

And now on to the update:

Thanks to Deadwoods, who so graciously posted a "How to" on creating your own BSC Park Set base textures [-> Click!], I have experimented with the Reader and now have the perfect base textures for the amazing set! I must admit I was a bit intimidated by the Reader, as I've never used it before, but soon enough got the hang of creating and changing textures and their groups and IDs. A huge thank you to Deadwoods.  &apls

So after I did that and loaded SC4 to see if it worked, I decided to create a small BSC Parks area (not wanting to use too much of the BSC Parks just yet), and this is what I came up with:

The Old Watchtower in Thabazimbi was declared a national heritage site by the government and a small park area was demarcated and set out to be protected by the Thabazimbi Town Council's Parksboard.

The park features, amongst other things, the newly built "Old Watchtower Coffee Shop," amazing fauna and flora, and a spectacular view over the Zambesi river from the tower itself.

The rocks on the shores of the vast Zambesi are inhabited by Rock Hyraxes (Heterohyrax brucei) [-> Click!] who are always a source of entertainment for the Elytherian young ones.

The Old Watchtower Park lies in the South Eastern corner of the Thabazimbi Municipal Council and the only way to reach it from Thabazimbi is to take a drive through neighbouring Injasuthi (See region images below).

-> Click! to enlarge

Regional view and information

I thought that I'd show you a few images of the region thus far, although I'm ashamed to show the unloaded.  &ops After two failed render attempts I gave up and started to open each city square "manually." But, it's about time you saw the region, and here it is. But first, I must say that I am using the "Hobart Near RL Scale" by cammo2003 available here: (ST) -> Click!

Regional View

Regional View - Municipal Borders

I'm not revealing the other cities' names just yet. ;)

Regional Transport View

Well, that's all for today then folks! Thanks for stopping by, reading and taking the time to comment. Your support is always appreciated.

Regards,

Marius / -M-
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

praiodan

Quote from: M4346 on February 07, 2007, 02:29:13 PM
For the sake of "universality" and all that I will answer your post, and in future continue to post, in English. :P Let's then keep all non-English discussions on the other appropriate forums. ;D

As you wish  ;D
Also I wish you good luck with your new classes and that you can find enough time between them to spoil us with your great pictures. BTW, you already did it again, I love that park!

Rayden

Nice pictures. I can see you're already using the new textures mod you've done. I like it too, and I have download it as well.  :thumbsup:

Cali

wow. great pictures. i love the detail ;)
"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

Gaston

WOW M, thats some really great stuff.    Glad to hear about the new directions you are taking at the university.    Sounds like you have alot of hard work ahead of you.    I am quite sure you are up to the challange.   

Thanks for letting me know about the houses.  The use of color is similar to the Norwegian houses by Glenni at ST [ linkie ] .     But I can now see the difference.

I love the park and the region pics are very kool.    Thanks for taking the time to post the update.

My girlfriend says to tell you that you are very ambitious (a good thing) and that if she had more students with your attitude about learning she'd have a much easier job.   We both also want you to be careful.   You may be "streetsmart" but a thug doesn't care about your smarts.   If anything that is what scares them into doing the stupid things they do.    So watch your back.

Stay safe my friend,
---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

thundercrack83

Great job using the Reader to make those parks, they look fantastic! The whole park lookkks great, too, especially the rocks that are in the water! Also, congratulations on your school news. I'm a political science major, too. Good luck!

bat

Fantastic using of trees! Great city! Wonderful work as always! :thumbsup:

mjig_dudy

Wow excellent stuff! I will try and pop in here more often, this is amazing work.
I like how you made the excellent BSC parks fit in with the sidewalk mod, thats a great idea :thumbsup:

Adriano57

I love the park and the region  :thumbsup: congratulations !

petercintn

Hey M, So many things... sorry about your cus, and would you believe that we just got a call and I have to pick up my ex's dog for her brother's wife just had a heart attack.  Great work and I'll tell you why when I get back.

I like the modify button, even if it took me forever to find it cause I was looking for 'edit.'   the dog is taken care of, now to this MD.  My God man, you are the landscape lord.  This MD is beautiful.  I have mavelled looking at the creeks and parks and loveliness of Elytheria, btw, great name.  Plus, when I clicked on your first linkie, I thought I was back in RL for a while, till it dawned on me...  what is this place?  I will check this site out, and thanks for bringing it to my attention.  Your a hell of a player!  I won't say that this is the best MD I've laid eyes on, but it is right there with the best.
Carolina Tar Heels... National Champs again!

Kokopelli

M,

Great MD! Thanks for showing us how to get that sandstone in the BSC Park Set. I was wondering how to do that for some time. Good luck with your ambitious academic load. I don't know how you do, but I am enjoying your work with SC4.

M4346

In an effort to keep the picture updates at one per page, I am going to respond to your comments now and hope that 6 other members respond that we may then reach page 4, and make it less "intensive" to load a page.  :P

I have not had the opportunity to continue with SC4-ing as much as I would have liked, mainly because of RL issues, but also because I experimented with the LE last night and was busy with that for at least 4 hours... yeah, 'm weird.  :P Needless to say, despite the assistance of Serkanner and David, which I really appreciate, my attempts at modifying a few lots (mainly base textures to match the sandstone sidewalk) was grossly unsuccessful and a good 4 hours was lost.  ()sad() But, rest assured, I'm not giving up just yet.  :D

I'm going to respond to your comments in a few minutes, and let me just mention that I am incredibly grateful for your comments and the time that you sacrifice to visit my MD and encourage me. Because, even though you may not necessarily realise it, it is your comments that encourage me to actually continue with this endeavour, and sometimes it makes me feel guilty for not updating as regularly as I would have liked to.  :P

The next update, even though I had giving a specific time-frame because I rarely stick to it then, will be up later today, or, by the latest tomorrow afternoon (South African Standard Time, i.e. GMT +2). Well, I would have liked to say by the latest tomorrow evening, but it's Valentines Day and I might have a little something-something planned with my boyfriend.  :thumbsup:

I will be heading off to SC4 soon, I'm just repacking my plugins folder with the amazing SC4DAT Packer, and it's taking quite a while.  :P

So... on to:

Quote from: praiodan on February 07, 2007, 02:50:20 PM
Also I wish you good luck with your new classes and that you can find enough time between them to spoil us with your great pictures. BTW, you already did it again, I love that park!

Thank you Praiodan!  :thumbsup: And thanks again for stopping by. It's always a pleasure to see you here.  ;D

Quote from: Rayden on February 07, 2007, 03:35:05 PM
Nice pictures. I can see you're already using the new textures mod you've done. I like it too, and I have download it as well.  :thumbsup:

Thanks! I hope that the texture 'mod' works? I'm glad to have provided it. Thanks, yet again, to Deadwoods for assisting me in that.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Cali on February 07, 2007, 06:59:57 PM
wow. great pictures. i love the detail ;)

Thank you Cali! ;D I'm glad you like it.

Quote from: Gaston on February 07, 2007, 08:05:55 PM
WOW M, thats some really great stuff.    Glad to hear about the new directions you are taking at the university.    Sounds like you have alot of hard work ahead of you.    I am quite sure you are up to the challange.   

Thanks for letting me know about the houses.  The use of color is similar to the Norwegian houses by Glenni at ST [ linkie ] .     But I can now see the difference.

I love the park and the region pics are very kool.    Thanks for taking the time to post the update.

My girlfriend says to tell you that you are very ambitious (a good thing) and that if she had more students with your attitude about learning she'd have a much easier job.   We both also want you to be careful.   You may be "streetsmart" but a thug doesn't care about your smarts.   If anything that is what scares them into doing the stupid things they do.    So watch your back.

Stay safe my friend,
---Gaston

Ah, Gaston, it's always good to read your replies and it always puts a smile on my face to see your name here.  :thumbsup:

So, thank you first of all, for the great, encouraging comments and your on-going support, it is really appreciated.

I have yet to hear from the Dean re: my application, but I'm sure all will be fine and everything is going according to plan. :) I'm looking forward to it, although I do acknowledge that it will be an, at times, strenious journey. But I'll reap the rewards in the long run.

I have downloaded the Norwegian houses, as I really like them, thanks for providing the link and the feedback.

Please thank your girlfriend too, and tell her that even though I've never "spoken" to her, I am grateful for her sentiments.  :thumbsup: I guess I would also be glad to have more students such as myself, as I am planning on being a lecturer in the (distant) future. :P I would love to lecture in philosophy, English literature, History, Politics or even Sociology, but that's for later.  :D

I can assure you that I am very careful, and that's what I meant with "streetsmart." I am constantly paying attention to my surroundings when I do walk to campus, or in public for that matter, as South Africa can be a dangerous place. I always watch my back and survey my immediate surroundings and avoid possible 'dangerous' situations. Thank you for your concern.  :)

Looking forward to hearing from you my friend, do stay in touch and have a great day / evening!

- Marius

Quote from: thundercrack83 on February 07, 2007, 09:05:26 PM
Great job using the Reader to make those parks, they look fantastic! The whole park lookkks great, too, especially the rocks that are in the water! Also, congratulations on your school news. I'm a political science major, too. Good luck!

Thank you, I'm glad you like it!  ()stsfd() So, we have yet another Political Science major?  :D I'm sure we can have endless discussions on the topic as it is a very interesting field, in my opinion.

Thank you!

Quote from: bat on February 08, 2007, 08:05:41 AM
Fantastic using of trees! Great city! Wonderful work as always! :thumbsup:

Thank you Bat!  ;D It's comments like yours that spur me on!

Quote from: mjig_dudy on February 08, 2007, 09:32:34 AM
Wow excellent stuff! I will try and pop in here more often, this is amazing work.
I like how you made the excellent BSC parks fit in with the sidewalk mod, thats a great idea :thumbsup:

Thanks! If it wasn't for the excellent sidewalk mod the BSC parks texture would never have bothered me, so I have a great deal of thanks to give to you too! Thank you for being the inspiration, and thanks for your excellent work, it is truly appreciated!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: pipishere on February 08, 2007, 12:49:48 PM
Really beautifull stuff!  :)

Why thank you Pip!  ;D

Quote from: Adriano57 on February 08, 2007, 01:10:40 PM
I love the park and the region  :thumbsup: congratulations !

Thanks Adriano57! *blush* I'm almost too flattered by all the great comments, maybe that's not a good thing? :P

Quote from: petercintn on February 08, 2007, 01:15:27 PM
Hey M, So many things... sorry about your cus, and would you believe that we just got a call and I have to pick up my ex's dog for her brother's wife just had a heart attack.  Great work and I'll tell you why when I get back.

I like the modify button, even if it took me forever to find it cause I was looking for 'edit.'   the dog is taken care of, now to this MD.  My God man, you are the landscape lord.  This MD is beautiful.  I have mavelled looking at the creeks and parks and loveliness of Elytheria, btw, great name.  Plus, when I clicked on your first linkie, I thought I was back in RL for a while, till it dawned on me...  what is this place?  I will check this site out, and thanks for bringing it to my attention.  Your a hell of a player!  I won't say that this is the best MD I've laid eyes on, but it is right there with the best.

First of all, let me say that I am truly sorry to hear of your sister-in-law's condition, and that I hope everything is fine and sorted out now. Life is so fragile sometimes, and I think we should heed to the subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, reminders of that. After all, what else do we have but friends and family?

Thank you for taking the time to stop by, despite the events that were unfolding, and for commenting. I am truly heartwarmed (?) by your comment and appreciate it a lot.  ;D *blush*

I am in debt, mainly, but amongst others too, to David for his amazing MD and his great tutorials for guiding me and helping me achieve the level of "perfection" that I have with ploppable flora. And I do acknowledge that it is not nowhere near perfect, yet, but it's a work in progress. So, thank you very much, I am almost at a loss for words.  :P

Elytheria is actually derived from the ancient Greek, "Eleytheria" meaning Freedom, a theme that I would like to convey throughout the MD - Freedom in all its facets and faces. So thanks for that!  :)

I have to say though, and maybe this is not the most appropriate thread, but I love your MD too and the approach you have taken. It's interactive, it's rich in added info and easy, if not soothing, on the eye! So, congratulations to you too!  :thumbsup:

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Regards,

- Marius

Quote from: Kokopelli on February 08, 2007, 01:58:41 PM
M,

Great MD! Thanks for showing us how to get that sandstone in the BSC Park Set. I was wondering how to do that for some time. Good luck with your ambitious academic load. I don't know how you do, but I am enjoying your work with SC4.

Thanks Kokopelli, and I'm glad you commented here because I have been meaning to ask you about your member name. :P It reminded me of Kosheen's album entitled Kokopelli, and I would really appreciate it if you'd explain its significance to you. I really like it!  ;D

Thank you for commenting here, and I'll be sure to provide you with more enjoyable work, I hope.  :D

* I still have to change that horrible picture. :P

Well folks, that's all for now and I hope to provide you with more soon.  ;D

Thanks again to all who stopped by!

- M -
New Horizons Productions

rooker1

Wow.....lots of information.  That took me a very long time to read.  Great pictures, the shore line looks very good.
Call me Robin, please.

Gaston

Happy Valentines Day
Hi M,
     I was hoping to put you on page 4, but not quite yet.    &mmm   Hope Valentines Day went well (is going well) with your boyfriend.      We had some good news yesterday,   my GF got tenured.    Which means she can now be called a "professor" even in your British system.    ;D   She was also informed that she was promoted.     :thumbsup:   Which is something different than being tenured.    I think what that actually means is she will get a raise in pay!   This is a good thing.
     Great comments my friend.   I find that people keep coming back to MD's that the author takes the time to resond to people in.
    Glad to hear you watch your back.    Even Iowa isn't a safe place anymore.  LOL
    BTW, I don't remember which forum you posted the comment about not getting snow in South Africa in but;  If you want some let me know and I'll mail you all you want.    :D    We got around 6 or so inches (not sure of the metric equivalent   roughly 15 to 18 cm I think.) in about a 24hr period.     I don't mind the snow but I hate driving in it.
    Looking forward to the next updates.  I'm sure someone will put you on page 4 very soon.    ()stsfd()

Your Friend
---Gaston

白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Eddie

Looks pretty scenic. Sooooo many details I can see. Invert talk I quit, now.

M4346

Well, I'm sorry folks, but know you ought to know why I hate giving a specific time for MD updates!  %wrd

I had some, let's call them, unfortunate events unfold today and I had to tend to that. It, needless to say, consumed a lot of my time and the update isn't complete, as yet. I will, however, be heading off to SC4 for a while now (even though it's 00:00 / 12 am here), to give you what you've been waiting for!  :P

Valentine's Day, now having come and gone in South Africa, was a day of mixed feelings, and yes I enjoyed it, for the most part, but thank God's it's passed.  :P I hope you had a better experience today (or are still having that better experience), and I hope you spoil your loved one, or that he / she spoils you.  ;D

To go off on a tanget, my boyfriend calls me his "skapie," an Afrikaans word (even though he's English), which translates, literally, to "sheepy." (In the diminutive form). So, I got him a little stuffed animal, a sheep, of course. And I found it SO cute!  :D He loves it too, as I would have hoped.  $%Grinno$%

He arrived here at 18:30 / 6:30 all suit and tied with a rose in his mouth, I was so surprised observing the event unfold from my window upstairs that I told him to go away!  :D It was rather weird... So, he brought a very good Cabernet Sauvignon and I made him Chicken á la King ("Chicken for the King," for my king! :P) and it was rather good. :D

Aaaaanyway, let me get back to SC4 and continue with the next update! I hope to see you around soon, respond to your comments, and present you with that promised update!

Regards,

-M-

PS. Gaston, I thought I'd respond to your comment now.  :thumbsup:

First and foremost, thank you and the same to you! ("Happy Valentines!") I hope you spoil your girlfriend!  ;)

I'd like to congratulate her, so please send her that, on being "tenured" and for now being a "proper Professor!"  &apls &apls It's a huge achievement and you should be proud of her!  ;D And congratulations with her promotion too.  :thumbsup:

You can hold back on the snow for now, I'll let you know when I need it...  :D

Thanks, yet again, for stopping by and may you and your girlfriend have an absolutely stunning Valentine's!

Warm (yes, it's bloody hot here), South African regards and well wishes!

- Marius
New Horizons Productions

praiodan

Quote from: M4346 on February 14, 2007, 02:14:08 PM
To go off on a tanget, my boyfriend calls me his "skapie," an Afrikaans word (even though he's English), which translates, literally, to "sheepy." (In the diminutive form). So, I got him a little stuffed animal, a sheep, of course. And I found it SO cute!  :D He loves it too, as I would have hoped.  $%Grinno$%
He arrived here at 18:30 / 6:30 all suit and tied with a rose in his mouth, I was so surprised observing the event unfold from my window upstairs that I told him to go away!  :D It was rather weird... So, he brought a very good Cabernet Sauvignon and I made him Chicken á la King ("Chicken for the King," for my king! :P) and it was rather good. :D
Ah... this sounds like some fabulous romantic moments to me and as I read through this I felt a bit envious, though I actually don't have to cause I had a good day with my bf as well  ()stsfd()

And don't worry that you didn't got an update ready, take all the time you need to take some more great pics  :)