• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Multiple-Occupancy Lots?

Started by RadicalOne, August 29, 2009, 09:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadicalOne

Is it possible to have buildings that house more than one type of occupancy? For example, many of the residential towers where I live in downtown Toronto have small commercial services in them - can this be done in SimCity?

BarbyW

Unfortunately, the answer at the moment is no.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

ponnie

Quote from: BarbyW on August 30, 2009, 12:01:45 AM
Unfortunately, the answer at the moment is no.

BarbyW, does this mean that it might be possible in the future (does the game code allow such a thing) and that it is being investigated? That would indeed be a great addition to an already great game.

BarbyW

It is not under investigation but who knows what might happen in the future. SimCity 4 still holds secrets that we are still unravelling after 6 years.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

RippleJet

You could add civic jobs to a residential house, but not commercial or industrial jobs.

Quote from: BarbyW on August 30, 2009, 01:44:57 AM
It is not under investigation but who knows what might happen in the future.

Both Barby and I have been testing this, without success...
There is an unused building exemplar property called Allow Joint Occupancy.
However, everything indicates that Maxis did not implement it at all.

ponnie

Quote from: RippleJet on August 30, 2009, 03:18:07 AM
Both Barby and I have been testing this, without success...
There is an unused building exemplar property called Allow Joint Occupancy.
However, everything indicates that Maxis did not implement it at all.

Thanks, BarbyW and RippleJet, for your replies. I guess this feature would require so many changes to the game, it gives me a headache even thinking about it. Besides, if it were possible, you guys would've found out ages ago  ;).

SimGoober

Oh heck, there's new stuff still popping out after all these years. Maybe a new lightbulb will go off on this one...
When life just blows ... Fukitol!

ponnie

Quote from: SimGoober on August 30, 2009, 06:14:30 AM
Oh heck, there's new stuff still popping out after all these years.

Good point. I recently started playing SC4 again after a couple of years and I really was amazed with all the new possibilities that can be added to the game.

Quote from: SimGoober on August 30, 2009, 06:14:30 AM
Maybe a new lightbulb will go off on this one...

I certainly hope so, but being the noob I am when it comes to programming  ()what(), I cannot even imagine the changes that have to be made to implement such a feature as multiple-occupancy.

blakesterville

yeah, I try to "Program." but not only is the result a wreck, but the actual code is almost impossible to read. I stopped programming because it was too hard to manage hundreds of lines of C code. I don't feel like starting over in another language is that good of an idea either.

There might just be a way... But it really isn't that bright.
Although this seems to be the worst idea ever, you could create two structures, each cut in half, when built next to each-other on flat land, they form a whole building. you would have to prohibit from building either component on anything other than totally flat land. Then, one segment would have jobs, the other, residents.

The advantages of this go as follows:
It would be effective, if anyone took the time to do it.

but the disadvantages would be:
1:It would be difficult, and rather odd... if you know what I mean.
2: it would only be able to be built on flat land.
3: the user would have to press tab in order to build the second component, not everyone is familiar with that technique. otherwise, they would be two separate menu items, not especially clean to me
4: It could only be plopped.
5: The game would see it as two different buildings, so half of it could literally abandon, it might look weird that way too.

Doesn't sound like a bright idea to me, but you could try it, if you are really that interested. :D LOL

-blakesterville.

RippleJet

Quote from: blakesterville on September 28, 2009, 04:31:54 PM
Although this seems to be the worst idea ever, you could create two structures, each cut in half, when built next to each-other on flat land, they form a whole building. you would have to prohibit from building either component on anything other than totally flat land. Then, one segment would have jobs, the other, residents.

You could also make an overhanging, ploppable commercial building,
which you'd plop next to a smaller residential building, which thus wouldn't be visible.

This is how the image below was achieved, with small residential lots inside Prepo's Kolmiotalo:

This would however become stupid the day those 1×1 residential lots develop into pencil towers... $%Grinno$%

Kevin1a

I'm from Colorado Springs, Colorado, though well traveled, and I agree that mixed use buildings could add something to the game.  The queries and zoning might be somewhat more complicated, but it could probably be sorted out.  In downtown CS, most of the buildings have CS$$ street level and R$$ R$$$ residential lofts in the upper stories, though the banks tend to build towers with CS ground floors and CO in the tower.  I can only think of a handful of pure residential buildings over 10 floors.

Terring7

There is a mod in Simtropolis that add jobs in the houses. It's even possible to build cities without shops and factories, only with homes!
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

RippleJet

Quote from: Terring7 on February 22, 2011, 05:40:17 AM
There is a mod in Simtropolis that add jobs in the houses. It's even possible to build cities without shops and factories, only with homes!

Yes, but unfortunately Nilo's mod affects all residential houses.
Thus, you cannot have purely residential homes after that.
Each and every residential home offers the same percentage of "homejobs".
Besides, most of his mods are inCAMpatible.