• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Republic of Terra Specula - Update 18: Teaser!

Started by Rady, December 31, 2009, 08:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomas Neto

wow, awesome update again, with a nice suburbs and a fantastic rural area!!!  &apls

Rady

@ Cyclone1001: ok, I now have tha Maxis blocker up and running ... lets see how it turns out!

@ bat: Thanks, and welcome to my MD!

@ Tomas Neto: Thanks! However my rural scenes are still far behind yours ... I alway love to see an update in your MD!

6_01: Since residental areas developed quick, the existing bridge connecting Harding and it's commercial district soon was big hindrance for the traffic. So it was decided to put an avenue in place. After building the Wildbank Bay Span, this was the second large construction project for the settlers.

6_02: Of course an alternate route had to be found. To the great pleasure of the people living there, the alternate route was decided to go through this little settlement. Therefore, the street was upgraded in order to have enough capacity. However, it was agreed upon that the road would be built back to an street once the bridge has been completed.

6_03:Soon after finishing the exit route, construction work began. Unfortunately, TESCO managed to fail in opening an alternative access for their customers, so eventually they had to close their shop. For whatever reason, some smaller businesses followed TESCO's example ...

6_04: 8 months after the construction works started, the bridge was finished.

6_05: Finishing the avenue took another 3 months.

6_06: Finally, after 11 months, the brídge was opened for traffic, and the alternate route was build back to normal side street.

However, the traffic issues were far from solved. The next problems where just around the corner. But that is another update ....
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

canyonjumper

Great update Rady! Wonder what problems they'll run into now?

-Jordan
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Cyclone1001

bat

Tomas Neto

Oh yeah, I agree with Bat, the work on that bridge is a fantastic detail on your update!!! Great!!!  &apls

Battlecat

Yup, that's a huge looking traffic problem there!  Good job on the solution.  Going to be interesting to see what hits next, and how it will be handled!

Rady

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2614/terraspecula7.jpg

As you can see from the overview, our colony has expanded pretty nice. Additionally, at the moment I'm experimenting with terrain mods - trying to find one that suits me right. What you see now is the Meadowshire Terrain Mod. I tried the Italia Terain Mod before, but for some reason couldn't come to like it. Let's see, possibly that will change again in future updates.

@ canjyonjumper: Thanks. We'll see - you will discover that some problems are the same here on earth an on a distant planet ...
@ cyclone1001: Thanks!
@ bat: Thanks - unfortunately there are just small bridges to build, but let's see what we will discover in new regions of our planet!
@ Tomas Neto: Thanks again!
@ Battlecat: Thanks!

While the settlement became bigger and bigger, the colony's administration was on a desperate search for natural resources that were needed for their industry. SO far, anything needed to be transported over huge interstellar distances, thus creating a natural bottleneck for the colony's expansion. So on severeal locations geological surveys where conducted, and after some months of hard work, the scientists proudly presented their results:

[7_01]

What no one had expected to achieve that soon now had become truth: The colony's scientists had discovered what later would turn out to be one of the largest deposit of iron on this planet. Exploiton of the place started immediately.

[7_02]

So immediately after that discovery, roads where upgraded to provide proper means of transport, and a steel mill was erected. Named after the head of the scientists that discovered the iron, the mill was named Bonham Steel Mill.

[7_03]

To further enhance their transport, one of the first things that was build from the steel coming out of Bonham Steel Mill was a rail line for transporting the steel to the industrial area.

[7_04]

From that moment on, an endless stream of steel left Bonham Steel Mill. Accomplishing that, the final challenges had been met that would enable the administration to further stretch out their colony on this planet. But as had been said before, some more common problems where lurking around the corner waiting to be solved that would inevitablely delay the eager plans of the administration. At last, they had to keep the settlers happy if they wanted them to reach out to new distant areas ... but that is another update ....
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Nexis4Jersey

Battlecat

Cool addition!  That's a great looking mine and a very impressive steel mill! 

bat

canyonjumper

And a fourth comment about the mill: looks great! And since when am I canjonjumper?

-Jordan

Rady

Quote from: canyonjumper on January 29, 2010, 12:55:28 PM
And a fourth comment about the mill: looks great! And since when am I canjonjumper?

-Jordan

Obviously since yesterday 12:58:54 pm, judging the time stamp of my post  &mmm may I provide an "y" here in case of further mistakes  :P

Snitchie

Awesome story!   Started reading and could'nt stop.. :D  looking forward to updates  :thumbsup:
Drive safe!

Cyclone1001

canyonjumper

Quote from: Rady on January 29, 2010, 02:06:53 PM
Obviously since yesterday 12:58:54 pm, judging the time stamp of my post  &mmm may I provide an "y" here in case of further mistakes  :P

You've almost got it Rady, now just delete the 'J' and you'll have got it :D

Rady

Quote from: canyonjumper on January 29, 2010, 04:24:25 PM
You've almost got it Rady, now just delete the 'J' and you'll have got it :D

I decided to just cross it out so other readers of that thread know what we're talking about  ()what() ... but I have to agree that that little line crossing out the "j" is nearly invisible ...  :'( :'(

Quote from: Cyclone1001 on January 29, 2010, 04:15:08 PM
Truly amazing! Where did you find that steel plant???

It's Fukudas steel mill reworked / fixed (pls. don't ask what have been fixed ... however it deemed neccessary judging by the comments to this plugin) by xxdita, you can find it here:

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1561

Rady

@ Nexis4Jersey: Thanks! I like it too - unfortuntely that's the only steel mill-related stuff I've found.
@ Battlecat: Thanks! And thanks to CSG for his Bauxite and Cleared Earth lots!
@ bat: Thanks!
@ canyonjumper (got it right this time  :P ): Thanks!
@ Tomas Neto: Thanks!
@ Snitchie: Hello and thanks! Welcome to my first MD! Hope to see you around here again!
@ Cyclone1001: Thanks! Hope you found the mill aready.

Following the discovery of iron and the then-starting industrial boom more settlers arrived at Terra Specula. So the colony's administration was about to expand the residential areas. But now it was time to leave behind low-density rural settlements and go for residential areas that would be suitable for high-density housing projects somtime in the future. So as a preliminary action the hilly terrain was flattened out.

8_01: Ground works have started

8_02: The foreman's container and some construction vehicles

8_03: Stretching out the area as far as possible meant some heavy movements to be undertaken. There was a initial protest from some tree-huggers that considered this area especially worthy of protection, but that protest ended soon after their home's rental agreement was cancelled by the administration. Following that, they suddenly clearly understood the neccessity of the housing project ...

8_04: Pipelaying for water supply

8_05: Over the years the area filled up with housing projects and small family homes. However, these were ousted more and more as the need for housing projects increased.

8_06: Following the massive expansion of Harding to the west of course traffic increased rapidly, ans soon this route turned out to be the next bottleneck the administration would have to take care of. Right now it looked like the colony's administration was pinned down with managing every-days business instead of pushing out the frontiers - much to the dislike of the earth's goverment ...

8_07: Close-ups of the bottleneck. We can clearly see the heavy congestion on that route.

8_08:

8_09:

8_10: After some discussions, this plan was forwarded to the administrations traffic minister.

8_11: Road works are under way.

8_12: The new Thompson Avenue, named after the best singer / guitarrist of the colony. Well, he was also the only one in our colony, so perhaps ...

8_13: So as you can see our colony is on the way ... so let's have a look at the overall situation:

(Sorry but I can't get a single-clik link to the full-sized image ... so there are three hops ..)

Tomas Neto

Beautiful city, and the growth of your city is happening very quickly and with an organized way!!!  :thumbsup: