• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinz

i like your selection of cars... and the scenes you pick out to take pictures (and hey, with the newer post, even those you create) are absolutely gorgeous. glad you are back... well, so am i. i thought i was late for the private thread again. would love to see the pipeline's contents! see you around, pal

Elektra

This is truely a day to celebrate!  :sunny: And that picture says it all.  Congrats on the sexiest curves in SC4.  :thumbsup:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
A. Einstein

dedgren

Okay, okay- I'm getting back into the swing of this.

This is just an eye-candy post- I was playing around for the first time for real with the wide-radius road curves, and came up with a few extra pics along the way I thought you might enjoy.  My post showing the curves off is here [linkie].

I wanted to do a road up a low mountain valley through aspen, since I was so jazzed by finding those old pics you looked at a bit ago.  After a bit of t&e to get the hang of plopping the curves I came up with this.

That's the first time I've ever used this bridge and really liked it.

Here's a faux-water waterfall (there's no stream- just the falls).  I've done better, but I was just stretching out for the first time in a while, and my focus was really on the road and the trees.

Too many rocks in the creek above the falls- I'm my own worst critic.

It's a different story when it comes to Tejada Spring.  Our friend Heinz had this bit of 3RR history named in his honor a bit ago- I really intend to put some effort into achieving something special here.  Here's a few pics of one of my attempts, on this same quad, to come up with some ideas for the final version.

Same pic, fall-

And finally two winter ones- one from each side of the little impoundment fed by the spring.

I'm going to have to do seasonal water plants- they're too green for that time of year.

Anyway, I want to get something I'm happy with au naturel before I put in paths and a structure of some sort.  This is okay, but I've got a ways to go before I'll be satisfied.

I'll keep you posted.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

mightygoose

totally awesome nature work although looking at the textures of the roads, they dont quite match, knowing you you probably already know this and are in the process of tweaking them as i post :)
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

kwakelaar

Gotta love those pictures of your curving roads.

glepet

I love this stuff! Two questions: Are the seasonal trees god mode or plopped? And, where can I get that rock outrcrop?
Those beautiful curved roads are so close I can taste 'em.  :thumbsup:

Darmok

Hi David,
I'm the ghost of ST past!   ;)
Hehehe... Slowly returning to an "almost" normal pace, I think it's been at least a month since I've been to SC4D! Not even to lurk! Geez...
Page 49 and 50, I followed your experimentation with long road curves, that would be a great addition. On a more artistic note your interpretation, or variation on a theme, of YES "Fragile" was pretty interesting! LP's had the advantage of giving more "real estate" to the artists! I remember some great LP Cover art, "Thick As A brick" "Sargeant Pepper" of course and so many more...
But I digress... back to the long curves, I'm curious to see how we could connect to the pointed edge of 45 degree turn... can't wait to see this in the game.
5,500 CD'S ! wow.... and I thought that my "modest" 600 CD collection was big... not mentioning the 300 LP's under the poll table... By the way you can still by needles at Radio Shack I believe, here we have a small electronics shop who still sell them, so my old Thorens table is still functioning!
Good to hear that Heather health is improving and that she now have her own PC, not to mention that it will indeed be a good benchtest machine. WINK
About your car, I think it is (was) a Nissan, so your Mother-in-Law could have said 'Mea MAXIMA Culpa".... hehehe Joke aside, glad to know nobody was injured.
The 70's pics.... now that's a trip through memory lane.... hey a 73 Gremlin and a Raod Runne! Hehehe... I had a Pinto,  &mmm (ouch!) and later on a Mercury Comet GT  :thumbsup: (with a 302 V8).... I watched many submarine races in that car!....  ::) Time flies....
The Colorado pics are simply gorgeous! We can see 3RR in those pics!
Back to your long curves project, I've read the whole thread this morning and just can't believe all the efforts all of you have put into this project!
This will really revolutionize the game!
Well that's about it for now.
The best to you and family my friend.
Take care
-John

(Also posted (by error...) in the curves thread... sorry!)
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=112.last#last

If you have a closed mind, do the same with your mouth

thundercrack83

Well, those curves are looking fantastic! I love the shot of the entire road with all the different ones. Great work!

Also, it's great to see Darmok back around, too! Welcome back, my friend!

TheTeaCat

Awesome work you put in again. Love the curved roads &apls &apls

This caught my attention

"I'm going to have to do seasonal water plants- they're too green for that time of year."

I like this idea :D

Looking forward to the next upadate as always

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Andreas

Wow, that was a ride... I just read the entire 54 pages of this thread today, which I have been neglecting for way too long. Took me several hours, as you can imagine, but it was definitely not wasted time. David, this epos (CJ or MD aren't really appropriate, I'd say ;) ) is really amazing, I can't believe how much work you must have spent in terraforming that region and putting the millions and millions of trees, rocks and what not onto those maps! But that's not enough, you even developed a whole background story around it, with lots of in-depth facts about the history of north america.

Although I tend to build dense urban areas most time, I really enjoy working with "untouched land" in SC4 as well, not so much the terraforming, but building roads and highways, with bridges and tunnels is a lot of fun, esp. when you try to make it as realistic as possible. I consider myself as a "map fan" as well, I can spend hours and hours over a road map or an atlas, "travelling" through the whole wide world. :) As a child, I drew my own maps and city plans, which was a lot of fun, too.

Now, after seeing the seasonal trees around your wide curves in the other thread, I assume those are the lots you created, and the fact that the roads don't show those ugly textures is the result of some cleverly placed trees near the border of some smaller lots. BTW, you're absolutely right that my random seasonal wood lots have way too many rocks; it looks ok if you only place a few of them, but obviously it's really odd if you place a whole forest.

That's why I reduced the number of rocks significantly a while ago, and I shall re-release those soon. I assume you'd be pleased to hear that ArkenbergeJoe created seasonal props for his birch tree, too, and those will be also available as 1x1 and 2x2 lots. In addition, there's also a seasonal snow-covered version, which chages from bare to snow-covered two times a year - making it the perfect addition to any snow mod. :)

Oh, and I noticed that the latest part of your tutorial how to create those seasonal tree lots doesn't have the text added yet, which you mentioned would be done after the images. I don't know if you simply forgot it or just didn't have the chance to do so, but I think the images are pretty much self-explanatory anyway. Well, I think that's all for now - keep up your astounding work! :)
Andreas

Pat

David wow I'm sooooooooooo um yea shocked at the beauty here its just fab man great work.  I'm sorry to hear about getting a new car  :P but at least no one got hurt at all that is the most important thing here as well i had a similar incident with my mother in law, well not to much similar but she had backed right into the front end of my 01 town and country smashing the bumper and causing around only $1,000.00. She was gonna fight it but her insurance company came right out and said it was her fault and the repairs to the front end where done in less then a week after the accident of course to this day shes still mad at me and i wasn't driving it was Vicki lol but all i could say was thank you mom for that special birthday gift lol.

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

fantastic curves and wonderful river + detailling! :thumbsup:

meldolion

David,

WOW! Astounding pictures!!! I really like the spring :)

Heinz

david!!! the spring!!!  :'( it's a beauty!!! a wonder, even!!! woooahh!!! and those curving roads, would love to see those on the lex. really. wow.... the springGGGG!!!! tejada spring!!!!  :'(

asturianu

&apls WOW! David, I was on hiatus here in SC4 Dev. because my grandma died, and I was copeing, but I was at ST, and many people helped me! But now I am totally fine and ready to come here to check your impressive work.
I love the natural places, David, and the road curves are great! I love'em, but it is so bad i do not know how to get them, mate. Well, 3RR is coming so well, my old friend, and I want to follow this threat now!
Congrats, David!

Cristian

Pat

Calling David Where are you????

Time to break out the search and rescue teams to locate the mayor of 3RR.
I hope all is well with you David and RL hasn't kicked your butt to much. - Pat your concerned constituent

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Gaston

I have seen David's posts in other forums.    So I know he is still there.    LOL

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

dedgren

LOL.  You folks are so cool...

Don't put the four-alarm out on me yet, Pat.

Really close to a lot of great stuff.  I had, since the weather was nice today, though, to muck out the yard.

(Not much) later, my friends.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

meinhosen

Quote from: patfirefghtr
Calling David Where are you????
Time to break out the search and rescue teams to locate the mayor of 3RR.
I hope all is well with you David and RL hasn't kicked your butt to much. - Pat your concerned constituent

Don't worry pat, when he comes through the gate we'll have the MPs haul him over here and make a proper update...  :P

By the way, David- those road curves are looking really nice.  Can't wait to see those hit the LEX...
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

thundercrack83

Another shot of those great curves! They look better and better each time I see them!