• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

VDK Bats

Started by vester, August 16, 2013, 03:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krbe

By looking, I do see the repetitive pattern of texture. That said, I don't think the church looks like it is 800 years old. There are thousands of younger buildings here in Denmark that look A LOT worse than Roskilde Cathedral. The upkeep and material quality is likely to be better than buildings built by the lowest bidder 100 years ago. Also, the darker colours will probably conceal a great deal of the "worn" look; lighter bricks are far more suspectible to looking damaged.

vester

Thank you for your comments.

Here is an update:

Will take a look at the textures again later.

droric

Quote from: vester on November 26, 2013, 05:02:53 PM
Thank you for your comments.

Here is an update:
Will take a look at the textures again later.

Arne,

I think you did a great job making the brick look much more realistic at least to my eyes.  I can still see the slight variations in the color where you wanted to show the difference between the old and the new... Although this screenshot is flipped 180 from the other one so it's a bit hard to see the changes you made 1:1.  I like what I see here though maybe a bit of tweaking on the rightmost roof section if possible to get the corroded copper textures to line up a bit better.  Or use the viewport canvas and maybe the healing brush to try to hide the lines a bit.  I haven't really textured anything yet as I have mostly used all procedural textures using the arch+design and maps.  I keep picking glass and metal structures so there isn't too much of a variation in the surface.

Ahh might as well just notate a few things I see...  here's a screenshot.

PC Specs: i2700k @ 4.9 Ghz, 16 GB @ 1600-8-9-8-16, 2X GTX 580 SLI, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R, 120 GB Vertex 3 SDD, 3 TB RAID1, 1200W SilentGold, Antec P180B case, Win 8 x64 Pro

vester

Quote from: droric on November 26, 2013, 05:46:34 PM
I think you did a great job making the brick look much more realistic at least to my eyes.
Hadn't touch the textures, so it can't be that big a difference.

Quote from: droric on November 26, 2013, 05:46:34 PM
I like what I see here though maybe a bit of tweaking on the rightmost roof section if possible to get the corroded copper textures to line up a bit better. 
Its hard to fix it. Have rotated the textures a little (12.5°) and moved the textures a little on the roof surfaces next to it.

At the moment, it just a planar UVW Map, seen top down:

Use different versions of this texture on the other roofs:

You are welcome to try out doing a texture for the cone shaped roof over the apse.
The cone continue through the other roof.

Have worked on toning down the differences in the brick textures.

The shadow on the backside of the chapel has a naturally causes:

It the shadow from one of the spires/towers.

gn_leugim: Haven't got around to add gradient to the textures. Will end up adding a gradient in the end.
Tried to export it as HD, but that ended up on a filesize of 13 mb.

Next thing to do:

This portal, that use to be at Roskilde Cathedral, but now is placed on Holmens Kirke / Church of Holmen.
Holmen (The Islet) was the Danish Royal Naval Base and Dockyards. Most of it now used of civil purpose, only a small part of it, is still used by the Navy.

gn_leugim

there is also one thing I ddnt say. I don't know if it is really the case, as it is only against a grey background, and would ne more visible against a ingame shot or even in game, but there is a slight chance that your textures may be oversaturated. but without a reference is somehow hard to tell.  ;)

vester

Been working on the Kingsgate, which I posted a picture of in my previous post:

Looking at it I need to add a few more side to the columns.

Just been reading up on a renovation of the Kingsgate in the mid 1700s.
That is just a little more than hundred years after it was raised.

It was standing there until 1874 where it was replaced by a new one.
Today you can see it on a church close by the Danish parliament.

Jmouse

This is going to be a beautiful addition to the cathedral. I love all the detail work, but it looks a lot older than the church itself.

gn_leugim

lovley detailed and modelled.  &apls but, you knwo you will lose some of the details when rendering dont you? ::)

vester

Thank you both.

gn_leugim: Yes I know. I just can't help myself. Its a way to push my skills on.

Not a lot progress.

gn_leugim

Quote from: vester on November 29, 2013, 01:57:32 PM
Its a way to push my skills on.

Thats the way to go. usualy I did that in non productive ways XD

c.p.

That's some fantastic detail work :thumbsup:

Swordmaster

I don't care if we see these details in game or not. Knowing that they're there is fascinating!

Absolutely love it Arne; toning down the brick texture differences a little bit is a good idea I think.

Cheers
Willy

vester

Thank you all.

The brick in the last pictures was just me playing around with modelling bricks to make a normal map of later.

This is done with a grey ambient/reflective Occlusion material applied plus one material on the plate with the text.
The ambient/reflective Occlusion helps to bring out all the small details.

... and a little photoshopping:

Trying to get it look like the light is coming from a setting autumn sun.

MTT9

The level of detail is amazing, keep it up :)
You can call me Matt

Terring7

That's a serious effort, no monkey businesses! &apls
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Jmouse

The details on the portal are amazing. But, knowing your partiality toward the infinitesimal, I would have expected nothing less. Too bad I have to stick with the ugly stuff, but somebody has to do it. :D

vortext

Keep pushing those skills, amazing details!  &apls
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

vester

TY all. Glad you like my work.

Done with the area around the top plate.

gn_leugim

very well detailed  &apls  :thumbsup:

vester

TY.

Got the crown in place. Working on the rest of the top piece.
Just started to get the general lines drawn up.