• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinz

shot

EDIT: that was a shot at 800. SOOOOOO HAPPY to be a part of this ever growing community-in-project.

CONGRATULATIONS DAVID and all else who contribute. sooo excited for 3rr's future and i just can't take this smile off my face. just a shot.

PSS> david, for what it's worth, congratulations and thank you for giving me(among many others, i believe) a home and a place to stay connected with a game long abandoned by its developers.
LONG LIVE 3RR!!!  VIVA IL 3RR! MABUHAY ANG 3RR!

dedgren

The Table of Contents is now located in its permanent home here [linkie].  Enjoy your visit to 3RR!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

emilin

Dammit! I was hoping to get comment 799 this time around. Just to prove you wrong. ;D

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

BigSlark

Your seasonal woods continue to amaze me. That said, would it be wrong to ask/hope/assume that there will be a "David's Nifty Scenic Plops Pack" released for those of us collaborating with you? Heck, even for those of us not collaborating with you?

joelevan

Yeah...something zipped up would be convenient...assuming it is allowed.

Joel

BigSlark

I'd be surprised if David wasn't allowed to upload these to the LEX, considering he's a forum moderator and perhaps the most read MD in the English-language SC4 World.

Just my two cents.

hamsterTK

I just have to second what everyone is saying that would make this whole project a lot more convienient

OT: @zniehadajet: I have a dog just like the one in your avatar...
Bumbles Bounce!

bat

great continuation of your tutorial! :thumbsup:

dedgren

Folks, just a quickie all text post here.  The "seasonal tree lots on the LEX idea" is a good one, but I do need to note that the props are cycledogg's (c.p. here on SC4D - force of habit) and I wouldn't redistribute them on the LEX on an otherwise empty lot without his express permission...

...which I've already asked for- sent him a PM a few days ago.  Hopefully the next time he's around SC4D he'll spot it.

I'd love to see his great seasonal trees in much wider use in this community, and will do anything reasonably possible to assist in that happening.

Thanks again for your comments about this; you are all way too kind.

More progress on the tutorial and a collaboration update this evening, if all goes as planned.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

kwakelaar

Just been updating myself about everything happening here. Tutorial is very well done, and it seems your team is growing.

Cali

hopefully cycledoog, will give ya permission, his trees are amazing :)
"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

thundercrack83

Congratulations on post number 800, David! They seem to be just flying by, don't they? I can't wait to see what you have in store for 1000! Or 900, for that matter...

Also, I see that Part III of the tutorial is underway! I'm going to have to go back and refresh myself on Parts I and II! In any event, I'll be watching as you piece together the next part.

Take care,

Dustin

Enzo

many thanks for these clear explanations on 3RR's genesis David.
I think we can say you are patient  &apls fantastic amount of work, a real passion.
cheers

dedgren

800 comments.  Heh!

We are cruising right along.  As of yesterday we have been at SC4D with 3RR for just three months.  That's almost ten comments a day.  Let's say more than nine, when you back out my posts.  The participation of you folks is the most fantastic thing about doing this.

And, speaking of comments, the 800th was made by none other than one of our newer 3RR Regulars*: Heinz (zniehadajet) from the Philippine Islands.  Heinz has joined us in 3RR collaboration as an Administrator/Planner, and now has become, with his comment, part of the 3RR landscape as well.

Heinz, my friend...

Here's a bit of info to go with that.  There'll also be an entry in the 3RR Gazetteer.

Springs - A Valuable Resource
3RRGS Publication N. 19

General

Natural springs are important aquatic resources. They are a reliable source of clean, high-quality groundwater that flows at a relatively constant rate and temperature.

Small spring in wetlands along Allen Creek - NW quad Wind Twp

Because springs are dependable, they are an increasingly valuable supply of water for people and wildlife, particularly during droughts. Several hundred rural households in Three Rivers Region rely on springs for domestic use and watering livestock. The region's springs supply water to several commercial enterprises (a brewery, two fish hatcheries, and a water bottler) and agriculture (cropland irrigation, livestock watering). They support recreational uses, such as fishing, swimming, and boating. Property values escalate on land with a natural spring, spring-fed stream, or spring pond.

Springs offer critical habitat for 3RR's fish and wildlife populations, including some endangered and threatened species. Springs help keep downstream water temperatures low and stream flows regular, thereby extending the distribution of trout and other cold-water fishes. In Three Rivers Region, springs and groundwater provide stable cold and cool waters, extending trout and smallmouth bass waters regionwide.

Fish, salamanders, and invertebrates (animals without backbones, such as insects and snails) thrive in clean, spring-fed streams. The moist soil and lush vegetation along the banks of these streams offer food and shelter for birds and other animals. Crappie, northern pike, and walleye are among the fish species that inhabit cold spring waters in 3RR. The continuous flow of clear, cool water supplied by springs provides a refuge for many aquatic animals, especially during hot weather and droughts. Spring-fed streams and adjacent riparian lands provide critical water, food, refuge, and travel corridors for wildlife such as moose, deer, bear, lynx, wolverine, raccoon, beaver, snakes and various game and songbirds.

Timber Rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus) - 3RR is the northern extent of its range

What Is a Spring?

The word spring comes from the German word springer, which refers to leaping from the ground. Springs may range from tiny seep holes, through which groundwater oozes to form puddles or wet spots on the ground, to large fissures in rocks or openings in the ground. If the rate of flow is rapid, a pool of clear water will form around the area of groundwater discharge. Water, running out of the pool, erodes a channel and marks the beginning of a spring-fed stream.

Spring feeding tributary stream into Fox River - NE quad Fox Twp

Springs are replenished by precipitation entering soil and overlying rock materials in recharge areas and filling up the pores of an aquifer or groundwater storage compartment.

Aquifers may be considered porous conduits filled with sand and other materials that transmit water from recharge to discharge areas.

Groundwater may discharge as a spring when the water table reaches the earth's surface. Most springs arise as slow seeps of unpressurized groundwater surfacing through fractures in the bedrock.

There are two general types of springs: gravity springs and artesian springs. A gravity spring is created when water moving through subsurface permeable materials reaches an impermeable layer and is forced to the surface. Gravity springs also occur where the land intersects the water table. Gravity springs are particularly sensitive to seasonal fluctuations in the amount of groundwater in storage and frequently dwindle or disappear during dry periods.

Artesian springs discharge from a confined aquifer where the water is under pressure and rises through any cracks or openings in the confining layer. If the pressure is great enough, fast, free-flowing artesian springs may result. Artesian springs are particularly sensitive to well drilling, and pumping water out of the aquifer may cause these springs to dry up.

Artesian springs along west bank of Cold River - SE quad Whiskey Twp

The temperature of shallow groundwater is nearly uniform, reflecting the mean annual temperature of the region. It ranges from a low of about 37°F/3°C in the Three Rivers Region and the surrounding north-central part of the United States to more than 77°F/25°C in southern Florida. By contrast, surface water temperatures in rivers and lakes on hot summer days may range from around 60°F/16°C in 3RR to greater than 100°F/38°C in the southern U.S.

Spring Size and Flow

Springs are classified by size according to their average discharge on a scale that runs from a magnitude of 1 (flows over 45,000 gallons per minute/170,343 liters per minute) to 8 (less than 1 gallon/4 liters per minute). Based on this scheme, Three Rivers Region has no first magnitude springs, but has one spring of second magnitude: Tejada Spring. 

Tejada Spring - SW quad Evendim Twp

Tejada Spring is located in the southwest quad of Evendim Township, and has a recorded flow of 23,700 gpm/89,714 lpm.  The spring and surrounding area was designated 3RR's first nature reserve in 1924

Spring streams vary in size depending on the geology, topography, and groundwater availability. Flow rates and volumes depend on differences in the groundwater recharge and discharge elevations, and on the size of the fractures and openings discharging the groundwater to the surface.

Most springs in Three Rivers Region are small, discharging at a rate less than a few hundred gallons/1,000 liters per minute. About half of the springs included in the 3RR Springs Survey have flows less than 100 gpm/379 lpm; 75 percent have flows less than 500 gpm/1,893 lpm.

220 gpm/833 lpm spring along Hay Flat Branch - NW quad Hay Flat Twp

Flow rates of most of the region's springs are relatively constant year-round. However, discharges vary with weather patterns in areas characterized by fractured rock, where flood- and rainwater are directed into the ground. The region's few intermittent springs flow only during wet periods when the water table rises to the land surface. Despite their size, small springs offer important breeding, feeding, and nursery areas for amphibians, fish, birds, and mammals.

Three Rivers Region Springs

Natural springs occur throughout 3RR, but the greatest concentration and largest springs occur in the DeLong and Wyler Mountains. Springs in these areas are particularly common due to the frequency of fractures, cracks, and channels in the rock forming these mountains, which are geologically part of the same formation.  These conditions promote rapid groundwater recharge, movement, and storage. Large springs frequently occur in limestone formations on the northern slopes of these mountains at low elevations.

Bunn Springs - NE quad Low Light Twp

Groundwater often discharges as small springs or seeps along hillsides in the north-central area of the region within within five miles/eight km or so of the Canadian border, and in the foothills and lower mountains of the Southern Range. The soil there is thin, and relatively nonporous rock, such as granite or basalt, is near the surface. In the areas adjacent to the Hotham Inlet, springs are rare and small with flows generally less then 5 gpm/19 lpm.  The region has two hot springs located in the eastern part of the Northern Range: Brazile Springs, which flow at 11,250 gpm/42,586 lpm and are located in the southwest quad of Pink Township in Rayden Mountain Regional Park

Brazile Springs - SW quad Pink Twp

and the far smaller St. Elmo's Hot Springs, which are located along the creek of the same name flowing into Wildcat Creek Canyon in the northwest quad of Wildcat Township.

St. Elmo's Hot Springs - NW quad Wildcat Twp

The geothermal mechanism of these springs are not known, but it is believed, due to their relative proximity to one another, that the same geologic process gives rise to both.

So there you have 3RR's springs.  Hope you've enjoyed this little addition to the backstory.  There's lots more where that came from.

Later.

David

n.b.:  Thanks to 3RR Fact Checker Travis for catching that it is the Cold River, not the Wind River, that flows through Whiskey Township. I've contacted the author and told him to sort it out, and fast.  We'll catch up with Travis later.

*  A 3RR Regular is, of course, anyone who has commented at least once on this MD, or over at 3RR-ST.

Portions of this post are a parody based on copyrighted work done by Virginia Cooperative Extension, 2005. The Virginia Cooperative Extension Web Site (online). Accessed 2007-3-21 at http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/fisheries/420-537/420-537.html.  Please read the real thing- it's great info.
All image rights reserved in the original copyright holder.  Images are used in 3RR on this non-profit website under the Fair Use Doctrine.  The names have been changed to protect the innocent.
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

BigSlark

David-

Your thoroughness with 3RR continues to amaze me. I enjoyed the gazetteer entry this evening, it brings back shades of Introduction to Geology: The Physical Earth.

I know somewhere someone is cursing me for this question, but will the collaboration take place in this thread or a new thread or will 3RR get its own sub forum?

Once again, you deserve  &apls for your great work. And if you ever find yourself in the antithesis of Alaska's climate (Mississippi) I'll buy you a beer/water/sweet tea out of humble appreciation.

Cheers,
Kevin

Fred_Ginger

My name is Vicki
Fred and Ginger were my doggies
RIP my babies

Rayden

Great informative post David. I love reading things like that.  :thumbsup:

Btw, this is my post 4 4 4  ;) and there couldn't be better place to make it as in here.

Gaston

David,
   Really great stuff.   I am absolutely amazed at the stuff I learn here.        I can also tell you are a lawyer.   LOL By this little snippet of fine print.
QuoteBased on copyrighted work done by Virginia Cooperative Extension, 2005. The Virginia Cooperative Extension Web Site (online). Accessed 2007-3-21 at http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/fisheries/420-537/420-537.html
All image rights reserved in the original copyright holder.  Images and other content are used in 3RR on this non-profit website under the Fair Use Doctrine.

I love that.   I'm glad you know about such laws like "Fair Use Doctrine".    I'd never have thaught of that.   LOL     Fantastic post.   Thanks again.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Travis

Hey David,

It's great to see collaboration getting under way, and it's also good to see I got my choice of a quad to develop.
I would also like very much to see your seasonal woods lots released. However, I thought I should just point out the following...

"Artesian springs along west bank of Wind River - SE quad Whiskey Twp"

Shouldn't that be 'Cold River' instead of 'Wind River'? If I remember correctly, Its the Cold River that flows through Whiskey Twp,
not the Wind River.
Anyway, looking forward to more!  :thumbsup: Edit: Fixed.

thundercrack83

Tejada Spring looks beautiful, David! Congratulations, zneihadajet!