• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Sears Tower Wiped off the Map

Started by M4346, July 19, 2009, 07:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M4346

Well friends, it is a sad day indeed! As of 16 July 2009, the Sears Tower is no more!

It has been renamed the Willis Tower!  $%Grinno$% Doesn't have the same ring to it...  %wrd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_Tower
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

KoV Liberty

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

M4346

And it gets worse :P

QuoteIn February 2009 the owners announced they are considering a plan to paint the structure silver. The paint would "rebrand" the building and highlight its advances in energy efficiency. The estimated cost is $50 million

:bomb:

QuoteAs of July 16, 2009, many people are refusing to call it the Willis Tower, comparing the renaming to renaming the Statue of Liberty or the Eiffel Tower.

I agree. Ew.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000

meinhosen

I'm from Chicago, and I'll never call it Willis Tower.  It will always be the Sears Tower.

On the funnier side, new nicknames for the building have been suggested as "The Big Willie" (I apologize if that offends anyone, its just a nickname for the place) and the "What you talkin' about Willis Tower?"   :P
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

JoeST

What a silly idea, who is really going to stop using Sears. all I can think about is Bruce Willis :D
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Strategist01

beutelschlurf

moin everybody,

i'm sorry to hear, it's just ridiculous. you absolutely right it just sounds not right in my ear!  &mmm
there do that sometimes in germany, as well! they rename streets, buildings, stadium, u name it ... mostly in favour of a rich guy who put money into it, or beause a party just says so! the common people mostly hang on to the old names and keep naming them as they used to do, but the younger ones already saying the ongoing ones, they keep up with the times ... i guess it' normal! sad but normal!
... i stick to sears tower!  ()stsfd()

b_schlurf

projectadam

Quote from: meinhosen on July 19, 2009, 09:04:33 AM
I'm from Chicago, and I'll never call it Willis Tower.  It will always be the Sears Tower.

On the funnier side, new nicknames for the building have been suggested as "The Big Willie" (I apologize if that offends anyone, its just a nickname for the place) and the "What you talkin' about Willis Tower?"   :P

meinhosen,

Any word on the Chicago Spire or will it be stalled until the economy or some serious financers come in?
The Constitutional Monarchy of Ichigamin

Terraforming Update (8/25/09)

j-dub

You would of thought this Willis group would learned a lesson after when Chicago lost Marshall Field's to Macy's, and after holiday tradition was ruined, people didn't like having New York invading and ruining Chicago. History really does repeat itself, and despite people's disapproval, these businesses still attempt anyway. I mean there was thousands, if not millions of signatures petitioning against Willis taking over the Sears Tower. Typical.

You know what though, I hate to be a sellout, but maybe we could make a deal, and go along with this Big Willie unleashed, ONLY if this Willis group could also cough up the hundreds of millions of dollars for Chicago's 2016 Olympic bid, instead of tax payers. I know, this may make my karma go down, but whats more expensive here. Illinois is a seriously ill state for $.

Pat

Quote from: meinhosen on July 19, 2009, 09:04:33 AM

Stickney, IL aka Berwyn not even 5 miles from Sears Tower......   Sears Tower will always be Sears Tower to me and not Willy eeeeeeewwwwww!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

York554

Yes I agree I liked Sears Tower much more ...
It will always be Sears Tower to me .  ()stsfd()
respect your royalty...

j-dub

I think its agreed then,  :angrymore: Willis! Seriously though, the Willis group did curse themselves, and gave their company a bad rep doing that and to make matters worse by painting it gray instead of black in the future.

frdrcklim

Quote from: j-dub on September 05, 2009, 08:23:03 AM
I think its agreed then,  :angrymore: Willis! Seriously though, the Willis group did curse themselves, and gave their company a bad rep doing that and to make matters worse by painting it gray instead of black in the future.

what! they're painting it gray :o. now where did they get that idea?
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

j-dub

It hasn't happened yet, at least this year, but it could in the future, some rubbish was said that the gray or silver color makes it their own, or whatever. If their smart, they won't do it, but considering the name change despite public rejection... ()what()

meinhosen

Last I saw was that the gray wasn't going on the tower.  It was supposed to be painted gray to save energy costs and make the tower more eco-friendly, but they determined that the savings would be so negligible that it wasn't worth the cost of the paint job.
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

blade2k5

They can call it whatever they want, but it will always be the Sears Tower. :thumbsup:

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

zakuten

Y'know what'd suck if they painted it grey--- If it was a shiny grey-- You know those evenings when you get caught in glare of the sun going outbound Stevenson? What would happen in the morning, with the whole Sears shining like that? Heck, the poor Eisenhower commuters too...
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)