• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Commonwealth of Marathon

Started by thundercrack83, November 05, 2008, 02:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threestooges

Very nice to see the vision come together Dustin. The area turned out great. Perhaps I should start pre-planning a few things in Greenacre every once in a while if these are the results that can be expected. I knew you'd come up with something good, but this is just spectacular. Part of that goes to the lotting, for which I would be amiss if I didn't pass my compliments on to Robin. Some of the details, like the arboretum and, my personal favorite that I noticed, the little market area, are just so well done. They're not things you'd really think of if you saw them in real life, but their inclusion here just makes things so much more realistic and brings more life to the area.

I like the various means of transport you provided to the area. My one comment (though I know there are a number of off-site parking facilities, is that the one underground ramp you showed (off the TE'd street) looks like it would be of very low capacity for the number of vehicles I would expect (unless it's VIP or employee parking or something).

Lastly, I think the fine details like lighting are also well thought out. Though it seems a bit sparse in some areas, there are certainly enough scattered around to keep people from getting hurt on their way out after a night game (well, unhurt due to not being able to see where they're going... rivalries and libations may have something else to do with things... is there a local security/police building nearby?).

Great work Dustin and Robin.
-Matt

KoV Liberty

Nice Sports complex!  &apls :thumbsup: Also congrats on reaching 1000+ comments!  :thumbsup:

Alex

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

flame1396

Just read this whole thing. Very nice work, gets me hyped up to adopting the Lot-Editing play style (to a limited extent, I'll lot somewhat generically for every lot I download).

I love the truck-access in the stadium, very good detail, a little grit is everywhere and it is necessary to acknowledge that.

One thing bugged me though, I don't really think there'd be many billboards on the train tracks, especially not over the tunnel entrances where passengers could not see them.
The most astounding and unique aspect of the human race is our fervent application of our ingenuity to kill each other, thus completely defying the near-universally proven fact that the ultimate goal of a member of a species is to ensure the survival of the species.

bat

Wonderful update of the Sport Complex! Nice work!! :thumbsup:

thundercrack83

Maarten (mrtnrln): Thanks so much, Maarten!

metarvo: Thank you! Oh, and thanks so much on the tip about the non-slope conforming parks, I never even thought to do that! I'm very grateful for your advice, as well as your support, my friend! Take care!

Fabian (Fabian93): Hello and welcome to Marathon! It's so great to see you here, my friend! I'm glad that you're enjoying things here! As for the trees, I'm not quite sure off the top of my head which trees they are, but I will definitely look into it and get back to you with an answer. Thanks for stopping by!

Battlecat: Wow! Thanks for such a great comment, my friend!

Dark_Jedi06: Thanks! It's great that you like the area, my friend—I appreciate it very much! As for the semi-circle of grass, I'm not completely sure, but I believe that it's just overlay textures. Perhaps Robin can answer your question better? I'll ask him! Thanks again for coming by, my friend!

Ryan (burgsabre87): Hey, Ryan! Thanks! And don't worry, I'll be working the HSBC into Marathon somewhere, it's a great arena! It's always great to have you here, my friend! Take care!

Arthur (art128): Thank you so much, Arthur!

kimcar: Thanks very much! It's comments like this and friends like you that make me feel so great about not only what I do here in Marathon, but here at SC4D in general. Thanks for stopping by!

mightygoose: Thanks, my friend!

Dan (dsrwhat316): Thank you, Dan! And your tip about putting people in separate groups throughout the lot is a great one, too! I will definitely be keeping that in mind, my friend! Good to see you!

deathtopumpkins: Thanks!

Matt (threestooges): Thank you so much for such a great comment, Matt! You are definitely correct about all the wonderful details that Robin put into area, it takes everything to such a much more realistic and more incredible level, in my opinion. It's always wonderful to see you here in Marathon, Matt—hope to see you again soon, my friend!

Alex (Driftmaster07): Thank you, Alex!

flame1396: Thanks!

bat: Thank you very much, bat!

Well, with both Centennial and North Station Quays on the books now, I'm at that transitional point where I'm contemplating the next move. For me, that usually means staring at the game screen in region view, looking for a bit of inspiration.

In keeping with that train of thought, I realized that it has been quite some time since we had a region shot here in Marathon, so...

...I quickly threw one together, with some of the areas we've constructed and visited over the past few weeks labeled.

Where will we go next? Truthfully, it's a blank slate right now! I have a few ideas in the formative phase, but nothing in motion yet. So stay tuned to see where we're going now!

Have a great weekend!

mightygoose

well an old town with a massive cathedral somewhere in the middle of the island could be great, also a park, every city needs a park.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

bat

What a really really nice region shot there! Great work, Dustin!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Splime

This is a really good MD, and it's great to see what's going on at the regional level.

I do have one question though - are those the dreaded boxes at the Westmoreland Avenue Tunnel Eastern End? I checked the actual update, and couldn't see anything that looked like it...

KoV Liberty

Nice! Really show how far you have come. Still though mch more to go. Looking forward to the completion!  :thumbsup:  ;D

Alex

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

art128

Dustin,
That region shot looks excellent my friend, it looks like you have already a lot of work to do on your region, good luck! But with what you've shown on the past 52 pages, I'm sure that you will make an awesome thing !
Also, Do you plan to make a downtown/CBD like Manhattan ?

Good luck with that my friend and Take Care,

- Arthur.  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Jmouse

The sports complex looks great, Dustin, despite its athletic purpose. :) The park-like setting is the quintessential essence of entertainment at every twist and turn.

I always wonder how close the finished project is to the original vision, and how many ideas had to be discarded. Whether close or way off, though, this is a major accomplishment worthy of accolades. Probably learned a thing or two along the way, too, eh? ;)

Later...
Joan

LE0

So when its all developed i guess it will look like new york manhattan island? :)
Leoland coming Spring 2009

thundercrack83

mightygoose: Wonderful ideas, my friend! I love them both and they are both on the list of things to get into Marathon somewhere! I'm not up to date on what BATs could be used for the old town section, though—if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Thanks for your thoughts!

bat: Thanks!

Splime: Welcome to Marathon! I'm glad you're enjoying things. As for the brown boxes, they are an oversight and the byproduct of juggling plug-in folders. I try to keep things as organized and minimized as possible when I'm in the game for optimum performance, and I didn't catch the brown boxes until it was too late. Sorry about that, and thank you for pointing it out! Next region shot, I promise they won't be there! Take care!

Alex (Driftmaster07): Thank you, Alex!

Arthur (art128): Thanks, Arthur! There's still quite a lot of work to go on the island, indeed. I'm trying to jump around on it so as not to get stuck in the mud anywhere. As for whether there's a CBD—well, we'll see how things come together! Thanks for stopping by!

Joan (Jmouse): Thanks, Joan! I'm so happy that you like the sports complex, my friend! Did it come close to my initial vision? No, it did not—it surpassed it exponentially! Robin did such a fantastic job on everything, it came out far better than I ever could have imagined, and learned more than I ever could have imagined, too! Thanks for coming by, my friend!

LE0: Hi! Living about 150 mi / 240 km from New York City, and having been there more times than I can count, there is definitely going to be many elements of Manhattan that will shine through in Marathon. The fact that it's on an island alone begs the comparison, eh? However, to minimize becoming just a "fictional New York City clone," as Marathon could quite easily become (if it's not there, already!), I am and will continue to try and incorporate different concepts and ideas from other cities. For example, the quays that have been at the center of my attention lately were borne of the different wharves in Boston. I'm hoping to, as things progress, incorporate other things from some of my other favorite cities—Montréal, Philadelphia, etc. I hope that answers your question, my friend! Take care!

Well, I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but we here in Marathon like to plan, pre-plan, and pre-pre-plan just about every single move!

In keeping with that theme, I've been trying to envision and plan for the expansion of the Commonwealth of Marathon—which up until now, has only consisted of City of Marathon on Marathon Island—onto the mainland of the North American continent, a task that I believe is going to prove a bit daunting, to say the least.

And I've hit a bit of an obstacle right out of the box—I have a tentative config.bmp in mind for the region...

...but I cannot seem to get it to translate into a region in the game.

Every time I make the bitmap in MS Paint and put it into a region, the region opens up in the game, but there are no tiles to be seen anywhere. I'm sure that I'm doing something wrong somewhere along the way, but I don't know where.

It doesn't help matters that, having Vista on my new computer, neither SC4Terraformer nor SC4Mapper work, so I have to use my girlfriend's for any work in those areas!

If anyone has any tips to point me in the right direction, they would be very much appreciated and I would be very grateful!

Thanks so much!

mightygoose

dont you have to add one pixel each way to the file properties... so like 1025x769....

oops no thats for greyscales..

btw did you shrink the white area in paint down to the size of the region.... that can sometimes affect it.... there should be little modifier handles in the bottom right hand corner....

or select the white and make it grey, because it reads which tile to put buy the RGB value of 255, so each tile of the same type could in fact be a different colour provided it had the requisite 255 value in either R, G or B.

white is 255,255,255 so there may be some confusion there...
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Battlecat

Nice looking region view there!  The island is coming along nicely. 

As for your config.bmp problem, I'm not sure what's causing you the problem there, but all I know for sure is that the config.bmp file you'll need for the image you're showing will be 32 pixels x 32 pixels in size.  I've found the best bet is to create a new empty region in Simcity 4 and then edit the config.bmp for the existing region instead of trying to create a new one from scratch.  Wish I could offer more help!  Good luck. 

Luke09

Man that was...unbeliavable...A perfect sports complex!And also a great region view...nice shots ;D
Tu és
Time de tradição,raça,amor e paixão,
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo

threestooges

Not sure if the pic above is the one you're using for the bmp or not, but in my experience, you just need 255 for the Red, Green, or Blue for small, medium, or large, respectively with the appropriate pixel representation too (4x4 blues for a large, and such). I made a quick one and attached it to this post, hope it helps (and works).
-Matt

nerdly_dood

Do you have city borders turned on in region view? Click the three-dots icon at the top of your interface in region view and you should be able to adjust this.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Dark_Jedi06

Quote from: nerdly_dood on March 23, 2009, 01:13:29 PM
Do you have city borders turned on in region view? Click the three-dots icon at the top of your interface in region view and you should be able to adjust this.
That was my first thought as well...always check if it's plugged in! $%Grinno$%
Other then that, I have no idea what it could be. :P

As for the region view, it's looking very impressive. :satisfied: I don't know how you had the patience to go in and terraform the entire coast like that. :bomb: I eagerly look forward to what you have cooking up for this new region. ;D
...this space to be filled soon...

bluesinjid

Wow that is one massive region,however,I am very newbiesh with bitmaps. Also I think you forgot my question? where did you get the white stadium from this? http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6190.940