• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

ecoba's: For Whom The Bell Tolls...

Started by ecoba, February 04, 2010, 04:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecoba

Holding the thread...

ecoba

Hmm, is teasing allowed?

This picture was slightly sharpened in IrfanView after converting it to jpg, but no other editing.

And yes, that is all custom lotted to match the cathedral's original lot...

Ethan

tooheys

Welcome back Ethan, yes teasing is certainly allowed ;D

Fabian93

Looking good &apls &apls
Great work on those Lots, I really like what I'm seeing so far :thumbsup:
One suggestion (if allowed) though: Maybe try to turn around your trees (in different directions) so that it looks more realistic ;)

Fabian  :)

ecoba

Teaser No. 2  :thumbsup:

I haven't relotted Feroxx's BATs yet, but the textures will match.
And Fabian, I took your suggestion and rotated all of the trees!

Ethan

bat

Your second teaser is really great! Looking forward to the "finished product"...

dedgren

Ethan- hi.

It's easy to nit-pick as an onlooker, but that said I'll throw in my observations as to several things that detract for me from what would otherwise be a magnificent setting for the cathedral.

1.  If you are going for a formal plaza, go all the way.  The rocks and lawn under the trees along the side of the building (which still do not appear to be rotated in the pic) are elements that, at least to my eye, seem out of place.  More appropriate would be some kerbing along the grassy areas, perhaps with some black iron fencing on it.  My suggestion is unconstrained by anything I know of that is BATted, but the long row of trees on a grass sward really does nothing to anchor the really big building you are working with to the square.

2.  The lampposts, being uniformly spread over the entire plaza, are predictable and somewhat boring.  Again, if you are going for formal, you need to pick out a symmetrical pattern or grouping, perhaps along what would be the pedestrian ways up to the door.

3.  The umbrellas are a fun way of adding a splash of color, but they are uniform in their random positioning on the plaza.  Group them together in an interesting corner and find a Cinzano stand or espresso cart to give them some functional purpose.

4.  The square lawn and random trees doesn't look right between the cathedral's entrance and the street.  My urban planning studies are growing increasingly dim in my mind (almost a quarter-century ago- wow!), but there's some issue I can't recall with immense old churches and having uninterrupted line of sight from the front doors out to the street.  It's probably just a truism- the building's monumental facade just looks better to passers-by if there isn't something sitting in front of it blocking the view.

You've taken on a big challenge here, and have chosen a wonderful subject to work with.  At the end of the day, regardless of what I or anyone else would suggest, do what you think looks right- there's no right and wrong here.  Just preference.

Good luck!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

ecoba

I'm going to have to formally anounce my withdrawal from the competition, as it just wasn't coming together, and I realize it just can't fit into my schedule.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Ethan

tooheys

Sorry to hear that Ethan. 

Anyway, I respect your decision and hope to see you back for No.3  :thumbsup:

Dave